Basford North

dibateg

I have Peter - I couldn't fit it in, and it would be really nice to have it, so that has to be offscene, I didn't want any gradients. Although I did consider creating a lower level return loop to represent it, but that was going to make a lot of work for one person and also destroy the openness of the centre well, which is where I wanted a sociable space - if I ever get friends to come around... The other option would be to extend the room beyond the 12 feet granted by the domestic authorities.

Regards

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Haven't you omitted the connection to Nottm Vic via the "Rat Hole", just to the right of the signalbox?

It would seem so.

For those like me whose knowledge of the "spaghetti" around Nottingham is limited, I thought that the attached document would help.

Basford.pdf

• RMweb Premium

I am intrigued by the shunt signal with 5 arms. There don't  seem to be 5 ways to go! If there are some tracks that have had to be omitted for space reasons, do you leave the signalling as if the tracks were there or do you alter it to suit the plan of the model?

Looking good there! Keep up the good work. Of course I would prefer to see the location modelled in pre WW1 days but anything in that part of the world in any steam era period floats my boat!

Those 5-arms haven't been drawn quite correctly - they are to signal movements out of the goods yard, either across the main running lines or to the carriage sidings to the right, and also other spurs located there. This is from the Signalling Record Society website:

E629.gif

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

Thanks chaps - 

Yes - the 5 arm is for controlling movements out to the carriage sidings and engine turntable. Those are imagined off scene, and as it is such an attractive signal, I wanted to model it.

I wonder what's not right with the 5 way Peter? On the original plan it is shown between the goods yard lead in and the bay run round, but photos clearly show it in the position marked. I didn't seem to be able to access that .gif...

Compromises of course and as I am departing from the original plan a little I'm considering moving this thread to layout topics - except that I don't know how....

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Gold
On 18/04/2020 at 17:24, dibateg said:

I have Peter - I couldn't fit it in, and it would be really nice to have it, so that has to be offscene, I didn't want any gradients. Although I did consider creating a lower level return loop to represent it, but that was going to make a lot of work for one person and also destroy the openness of the centre well, which is where I wanted a sociable space - if I ever get friends to come around... The other option would be to extend the room beyond the 12 feet granted by the domestic authorities.

Regards

Tony

Could you not just model it but have it non-operational?

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, dibateg said:

Compromises of course and as I am departing from the original plan a little I'm considering moving this thread to layout topics - except that I don't know how....

I think that you would need a moderator to do that.

Or else start a new thread there.

I worked out today that the goods yard approach road can join Vernon Road off scene by curving around more tightly. That means it can be much more tolerably graded.

Meanwhile the first point is made up, this one will live on the lifting section and really be off scene. I'm using 31.5mm track gauges.  It has an alarming crossing angle of 1 in 15... It made a good practice piece to restore my track making skills, as it is some time since I made up some track, in 7 and 4mm...

IMG_4293.JPG.54008d68a752a92f1f0d332906b3c31f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've completed the turnout assembly for Babbington junction, the next job is to install it on the lifting section> I can then start working out in either direction laying track. it's been a good excercise to get back in to it.

IMG_4304.JPG.7814e3e986182497df44f16ea648572f.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Tony

Good to see you have a useful size railway room and Basford looks like a very interesting layout with much operating potential. I look forward to seeing future progress.

Sorry you hurt your back; these rotavators can be vicious!

Best wishes

Terry

Thanks Terry, the back is on the mend, now its the arm after trying to axe out a tree stump!

Well, 10 years in the planning, I finally have track fixed down... I have been inspired so much by the efforts of other modellers and their layouts, it is time to try and catch up although who knows if I'll get anywhere near to the excellent layouts I've been following, but I'll give it my best shot.

I've begun laying in Babbington Junction aka the start of the storage sidings. The critical task was to cut through the turnouts with a piercing saw and then fix everything down, ensuring that is all lines up. I've started laying in the plain track, which is not all fixed down yet.. Rather than having it all offscene, I thought it would add additional operational interest to represent Babbington Junction - even though it was only for a colliery branch. Although I'll be using it for all traffic.

IMG_4306.JPG.8fa93b04cbb52a679b9c8b5e0e745c77.JPG

The bridge is lifted - and propped by a scruffy piece of wood. Lets hope that alignment is stable over the next few years... I checked that the Tortoise would operate the turnouts before I glued them down. Nothing is final, anything can be changed...

IMG_4308.JPG.ec45c083ce326bf22eed1ef7aba360ca.JPG

• Like 6

Thanks Richard

I decided to start with the most difficult and critical part first. I've been involved in layout building groups all my adult life, but never built a layout on my own, so sometimes I'm thinking, I haven't a clue what I'm doing here! So I spent a lot of time measuring and checking position of the Templot printouts before finally marking it out to cut. Then I put the whole assembly across two Workmates and gently made the cut - only to be interrupted half way through! I advised that I was concentrating hard..... and needed to be left alone.... Actually it has been quite stressful as I am so determined to get it right. I know that's nothing in the current situation and its always possible to repair/renew - its just the time.

I've been known to take soldering irons, slitting disks and blowtorches to finished models ( for repairs or modifications ) and that can be a little nervy - especially if they belong to someone else. I put that down to experience rather than nerve...

I have been a little stuck on how to proceed, but have come up with a plan now. The Templot plan will be glued down with PVA ( tests have shown that although the paper wrinkles up a little at first it settles down overnight ) and for the moment I will pin the track down with track pins. They will be removed after the track is ballasted. That will allow for testing and adjustments. The storage yard will just be pinned down after marking through the Templot plan rail positions.

I was going to use wooden sleepers on the scenic turnouts, but they are just over half a mill thicker than the track sleepers so I'm not sure what to do there.

The storage yard is plotted out with some custom points to save space, but I will utilise as many Peco points as possible in the design ( which has been evolving as I think about train movements ) as a time saving measure.

More to come, especially if it rains...

Regards
Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, dibateg said:

Thanks Richard

I decided to start with the most difficult and critical part first. I've been involved in layout building groups all my adult life, but never built a layout on my own, so sometimes I'm thinking, I haven't a clue what I'm doing here! So I spent a lot of time measuring and checking position of the Templot printouts before finally marking it out to cut. Then I put the whole assembly across two Workmates and gently made the cut - only to be interrupted half way through! I advised that I was concentrating hard..... and needed to be left alone.... Actually it has been quite stressful as I am so determined to get it right. I know that's nothing in the current situation and its always possible to repair/renew - its just the time.

I've been known to take soldering irons, slitting disks and blowtorches to finished models ( for repairs or modifications ) and that can be a little nervy - especially if they belong to someone else. I put that down to experience rather than nerve...

I have been a little stuck on how to proceed, but have come up with a plan now. The Templot plan will be glued down with PVA ( tests have shown that although the paper wrinkles up a little at first it settles down overnight ) and for the moment I will pin the track down with track pins. They will be removed after the track is ballasted. That will allow for testing and adjustments. The storage yard will just be pinned down after marking through the Templot plan rail positions.

I was going to use wooden sleepers on the scenic turnouts, but they are just over half a mill thicker than the track sleepers so I'm not sure what to do there.

The storage yard is plotted out with some custom points to save space, but I will utilise as many Peco points as possible in the design ( which has been evolving as I think about train movements ) as a time saving measure.

More to come, especially if it rains...

Regards
Tony

I know just how you feel Tony. Every layout I have ever been involved with has been a joint effort or a group project.

I am building a small one now for myself and I almost feel like a novice again. Not having somebody around to talk to about what is the best thing to do next and to consult on whether you are doing it the best way is very strange. Not having somebody around to warn you when you are about to do something daft is even worse!

So mine is taking up much more thinking time than I imagined it would.

But I have faith in you! I am sure the layout will be superb.

Thanks Tony -  it's a bit of a rollercoaster!

It was time for a break from the garden and track is now extending in both directions. One session was really just measuring and checking alignments in the storage yard, just to make sure I'm not going off at a tangent! In the next session after snagging, I shall start putting in droppers and wiring up.

IMG_4319.JPG.8673dd940b760d7f4bc399e66bef7c81.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2020 at 13:40, t-b-g said:

I know just how you feel Tony. Every layout I have ever been involved with has been a joint effort or a group project.

I am building a small one now for myself and I almost feel like a novice again. Not having somebody around to argue with about what is the best thing to do next and to consult on whether you are doing it the best way is very strange. Not having somebody around to warn you when you are about to do something daft is even worse!

So mine is taking up much more thinking time than I imagined it would.

But I have faith in you! I am sure the layout will be superb.

FIFY Tony!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

FIFY Tony!

Mike.

Eh? Sorry Mike, I only know about two acronyms like that and FIFY ain't one of them.

Mind you, anything from you with two letters "F" sets alarm bells ringing!

• Funny 1

I've been making up the station crossover. I'm still undecided whether to use plastic or wooden sleepers. In 4mm I always used wooden. I have had some problems with track going tight to gauge with plastic sleepers in 7mm scale in the past. So I have gone ahead and made this set with Intentio ply sleepers. They are a fraction thicker than the plastic track, but that should not present too much of a problem. The track was straight on the prototype, but everything is curved to fit in and transition curves are built in to the design to avoid that unseemly straight to curve  change.

IMG_4337.JPG.5876d7567d70da86c8d012dfc2413db2.JPG

• Like 3

The line creeps ever eastwards, the station crossover is installed as a well as the point beyond it since this photo. It has rained 2 days in 7 weeks here - the number of outside jobs seems to be growing exponentially, or is my other half just trying to keep me busy....

IMG_4339.JPG.2115cecd85a2d436ffad4cff866096c7.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dibateg said:

The line creeps ever eastwards, the station crossover is installed as a well as the point beyond it since this photo. It has rained 2 days in 7 weeks here - the number of outside jobs seems to be growing exponentially, or is my other half just trying to keep me busy....

IMG_4339.JPG.2115cecd85a2d436ffad4cff866096c7.JPG

I find the latter. My one worries that if she does not find me things to do then I will misbehave. I am not sure how much trouble she thinks I will get up to sat at my desk modeling. 
she eventually relaxed about exhibitions when she realized it was a bunch of older men mostly with beards.  That was better than bars / nightclubs where there might be ladies around. 
richard 

• Friendly/supportive 1