Hornby Peckett B2 0-6-0. Sound fitting

Roger Sunderland

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The lack of response suggests no one has then? I think it can be done. A Zimo 658 hardwired should go in the front of the boiler ok. I have managed to remove the cab roof and rear of cab. I think there is enough room in the bottom of the bunker to house a “small” sugar cube but it may have to slightly protrude into the cab. Will still be hidden from normal view though. An ESU micro with wires might also fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Did one of these before Christmas - a bit of filing down of the body mounting pillar under the chimney, but otherwise quite straightforward. I used a zimo micro decoder and microcube speaker and it sounds and runs great! There are a few magazine articles detailing the procedure - I think in model rail?  Sounds etc for mine came from YooChoos - just a happy customer! One thing to note is that as space is very tight it is better to remove the Hornby decoder socket and hard wire - to be honest I don't think you could fit it in otherwise. Good luck!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for this Progers. Yep I saw the article by Paul Chetter  but, unfortunately this is for the Hornby W4 Peckett 0-4-0 not the B2 0-6-0. Believe me there is considerably less room in the 0-6-0 version. I have managed to do it though using a Zimo MX648 and a Minnow speaker. The speaker just protrudes slightly into the cab from the coal bunker but adding a crew completely hides it. A stay alive would help further and, with hindsight, a SACC16 with three tantalum could possibly have gone in the bunker itself.

Edited by Roger Sunderland
Spelling

Hi Roger - yes did the B2 - and followed the same basic route - fitted both the decoder and speaker into the cab - didn't manage the stay alive though - it runs well enough so far without though! Didn't seem to be less room though than in the W4 seemed to be just as small! BW Paul

• 6 months later...
On 08/12/2019 at 13:26, Roger Sunderland said:

The lack of response suggests no one has then? I think it can be done. A Zimo 658 hardwired should go in the front of the boiler ok. I have managed to remove the cab roof and rear of cab. I think there is enough room in the bottom of the bunker to house a “small” sugar cube but it may have to slightly protrude into the cab. Will still be hidden from normal view though. An ESU micro with wires might also fit.

@Roger SunderlandHow did you get the roof off?  Could you see how the cab comes off?

• RMweb Premium

The roof was glued on, from memory. It’s just a case of very carefully easing it off with a scalpel or other such. I don’t think I needed to remove the cab. Drilled through to the side and bottom of the back head to take wires for the speaker. Chip is hardwired to motor and pick ups and sits upright at front of boiler. Had to remove small amount of material from footplate under chimney to get it to fit and all of Hornbys wiring.

• Thanks 1