Steam crane in 1:76 or 1:87

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

somewhere, I found an image of a rather interesting steam crane. Does any manufacturer offer anything vauguely similar?

image.jpeg.c38068ff933fb77b7bfd9264b4b7ad27.jpeg

My best guess is an HO craftsman product as a logging device from the US. 

Cheers

JB

I was thinking about something along these lines a while back with a semi free lance designs in 4mm scale using a Peco style yard crane mounted on a black beatle or tenshodo bogie clad in corrigated plasticard cab.

That was the general out line and as far as I got with the concept but it seemed like it would have been a fairly easy project. 

Here's the sort of crane I was thinking about.

20191129_184304.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add photo

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Londontram said:

I was thinking about something along these lines a while back with a semi free lance designs in 4mm scale using a Peco style yard crane mounted on a black beatle or tenshodo bogie clad in corrigated plasticard cab.

That was the general out line and as far as I got with the concept but it seemed like it would have been a fairly easy project. 

Here's the sort of crane I was thinking about.

20191129_184304.jpg

Using the similar Skytrex 2-ton yard crane, this was my version, with a wooden jib, to get closer to the 1.5 ton crane used on Highbridge Wharf. The chassis is a bit clunky and it was not intended to move. The chassis was pretty basic on these cranes in real life. This was before painting was completed.

I 5 tons cabin crane.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Londontram said:

Now that looks the Dogs ........

I think that was a compliment - thanks! If you want a more complex one and you don't mind your crane driver having to work in the open try this one for size.

They are based on photos in Chris Handley's Maritime Activities of the S&D so the scale may be a bit inexact. The hydraulic crane was based around the Langley Models vertical boiler. The chain is from a charity shop multi-strand necklace and the handrails are from a small section of bird feeder mesh and the bucket is from a perfume spray button.

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional info
  • Like 1