Code 75 Bullhead Rail options - help please

Tim C

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Tim C said:

Can anyone help with alternatives to C&L code 75 steel bullhead rail. I need some more but thought the p&p a bit steep and also I believe it is only shipped in 0.5m lengths?

It's definitely available in 1m lengths, though it seems the shipping for 10m is the same as that for 100m (£11+vat).

10m from the Scalefour Stores is £9-75, plus £2-50 postage.  The price drops with quantity (e.g. 40m is about thirty quid, plus postage).  However, the lengths are 0.5m (you might be able to collect 1m lengths from one of the S4soc shows).  I imagine the EMGS prices etc.  are similar.

SMP Scaleway only offer Nickel Silver afaik; I believe Peco are the same (and only Flat-Bottom?)

HTH

Brian.

Thanks for your response Brian, much appreciated

Already gathered that the society appeared to be the only other option, but I didn't renew my society subscription this year (a conscious decision), so can't use Scalefour stores at the moment, although given the recent Exactoscale announcement (managed to get an order in today!), I will now have to reconsider.

Back to C&L, if you look at the 1m length option, the website states rail only half metre lengths. I'll give him a ring.

Kicking myself though as I got some bits off him at Wigan, but didn't plan or even think far enough ahead !!

I think the issues is that Royal Mail won't accept parcels more than a certain size (something like 700 mm in length), which means that rail in 1 m lengths cannot be dispatched by regular post.  That therefore means that if ordering by mail order, you would need to either accept rail in shorter lengths or pay extra for a courier company that will accept larger parcel sizes.

If ordering 100 metres of rail, I think C&L dispatch this by Courier in 1 m lengths (https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/CODE-75-BULL-HEAD-RAIL-STEEL-Rail-100-x-1-M-p128178134), but if ordering a smaller quantity, such as 10 m (https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/CODE-75-BULL-HEAD-RAIL-STEEL-pack-10-X-1-M-p128178186), I think they cut the rail so that it can go by Royal Mail.  Presumably the rational is that anyone who only wants a small quantity of rail is less likely to want to pay the higher costs of using a Courier, wheres if you can spread the additional cost over a large order the increase in cost through using a courier company would be less noticeable (in percentage terms). 

Hi,

I have just checked EMGS and S4 - both only list rail in half metre lengths. Not sure who cuts it, but if you are a member you could ask to collect it at a show but don't know if that will work. The problem is with any package over about a yard in length is a no no with Royal Mail.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dungrange said:

I think the issues is that Royal Mail won't accept parcels more than a certain size (something like 700 mm in length), which means that rail in 1 m lengths cannot be dispatched by regular post.  That therefore means that if ordering by mail order, you would need to either accept rail in shorter lengths or pay extra for a courier company that will accept larger parcel sizes.

If ordering 100 metres of rail, I think C&L dispatch this by Courier in 1 m lengths (https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/CODE-75-BULL-HEAD-RAIL-STEEL-Rail-100-x-1-M-p128178134), but if ordering a smaller quantity, such as 10 m (https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/CODE-75-BULL-HEAD-RAIL-STEEL-pack-10-X-1-M-p128178186), I think they cut the rail so that it can go by Royal Mail.  Presumably the rational is that anyone who only wants a small quantity of rail is less likely to want to pay the higher costs of using a Courier, wheres if you can spread the additional cost over a large order the increase in cost through using a courier company would be less noticeable (in percentage terms). 

10m is available in 1m lengths from C&L; They're at Stevenage in January

On 30/11/2019 at 19:55, polybear said:

10m is available in 1m lengths from C&L; They're at Stevenage in January

Phil also sells packs of 2 lengths of 1m rail

As said the Royal Mail has a length restriction of 90cm, therefore other carriers have to be used. I believe the societies sell in 1/2 meter lengths to simplify posting, C&L will also sell in 1/2 meter lengths. I have some older PSM rail which is 1/2 yard in length so its been going on for many years, Also Peco sell some of their rail in lengths of 2/3 (appx) of a yard. Building turnouts this is usually not an issue. 

Thanks all.

It appears that you can only get steel rail posted in 1m lengths from C&L.

It must be a typo on the product page for 10 x 1m steel bullhead as it does not come up on the other 1m rail product pages.