Unusual Tenders

cctransuk

I have come across these tenders - which are clearly in departmental use as some form of tank wagon - the design of which seems to anticipate the WD / BR standard tenders.

63727_03.jpg.08fea09a858898f27a4275b90ec69321.jpg

The RCTS caption reads "Cl O4/1 No. 63727 (ex GCR) at Mexborough shed 16/10/60".

Any observations?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 minute ago, iands said:

Slurry tanks perhaps? 

What variety of slurry had you in mind - surely not the agricultural variety?

Sludge, (as in water-softening), seems unlikely - these were usually liberally decorated with white deposits.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking more perhaps the slurry created in the ash pits when engines have the fire dropped and then washed out. Perhaps "sludge" might have been a better description. 

• RMweb Premium

GW Oil burner tenders were standard tenders with a tank and fill pipe added.  Some were top fill and others were filled through a valve just below sole bar level.

These tanks seem way too  big for oil burner tanks.

Plus the GW oil burner experiments were done and dusted and conversions back to coal were done before BR days.

These seem to be weedkiller train tenders:  three linked together and filled with water used to dilute nasty chemicals which were in an old fuel tank wagon.  The end tender had in later days, an old cab roof fitted, under which the operator (s) could shelter a little.  Stick a brake van at each end and you have a weedkiller train.

Edited by M.I.B
Added more detail.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

GW Oil burner tenders were standard tenders with a tank and fill pipe added.  Some were top fill and others were filled through a valve just below sole bar level.

These tanks seem way too  big for oil burner tanks.

Plus the GW oil burner experiments were done and dusted and conversions back to coal were done before BR days.

These seem to be weedkiller train tenders:  three linked together and filled with water used to dilute nasty chemicals which were in an old fuel tank wagon.  The end tender had in later days, an old cab roof fitted, under which the operator (s) could shelter a little.  Stick a brake van at each end and you have a weedkiller train.

Now that makes a lot of sense.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The tanks  got made, if at all, at time the weedkiller train was put together.  I have seen photos of one weedkiller train where the coal bunker was left empty and the tenders were just using their original water tanks to dilute the chemicals which were stored in a seperate tank wagon.

16 hours ago, M.I.B said:

The tanks  got made, if at all, at time the weedkiller train was put together.  I have seen photos of one weedkiller train where the coal bunker was left empty and the tenders were just using their original water tanks to dilute the chemicals which were stored in a seperate tank wagon.

I think that's how the Southern one worked : three pairs of tenders coupled face-to-face with the mixing an' spraying  in/from a modified parcels van with end windows ( I don't think it was Pull & Push fitted tho'.).