Bachmann OO/OO9 Availability (including Branchline & Narrow Gauge) to Oct/Nov 2024 (as of 10/01/24)

Paul.Uni

29 minutes ago, James90012 said:

Good news to have a date for the 20/3s, I think this is the first time a date has been provided?

It isn't. They have had a release date in every update I've posted in this thread.

• RMweb Premium

I get using Coreless motors on relatively small locos , but the 94XX is a bit of a brute in comparison . I know its progress but there do seem to be quite a lot of people who don't do sound and who even don't do DCC that are getting marginalised here . 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Legend said:

I get using Coreless motors on relatively small locos , but the 94XX is a bit of a brute in comparison . I know its progress but there do seem to be quite a lot of people who don't do sound and who even don't do DCC that are getting marginalised here . 

Not necessarily "marginalised" per se, because they're getting the same performance as the DCC/sound brigade, but performance may be being sacrificed for something that is irrelevant to them. I have no idea what the DC/DCC market division is like, though.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As a DC Luddite I accept that DCC is the future* and don't feel at all marginalised by locos supplied 'DCC ready'.  Were the loco only available DCC fitted I'd feel marginalised.  I do sometimes remove the chip board to use the space for ballast and reduce the number of connections, increasing overall reliability.  There is no objective proof, but I am convinced the locos run more freely without the board.  Smaller motors might reduce haulage, but on a layout where 12 wagon mineral trains are the heaviest and there are no gradients it's academic from my pov, and allows more space for ballast.  I agree the 94xx was a bit of a red RA power class D thug by 0-6-0 tank standards but it is still a 'small' loco in modelling terms, especially when DCC sound is considered.  It should ideally be able to replicate prototype performance; 40 wagon loaded minerals at up to scale 25mph or 15 coach empty stock at up to 40mph, but mine will never have to work that hard!  I actually like the idea of locos only just being able to haul their trains, and I can easily induce wheelslip with my Limbach 94xx on loaded minerals, which my 56xxs and 42xx scoff at!

Biggest haulage problem at Cwmdimbath is auto train made up of 2x K's whitemetal A31 trailers, even heavier than originally because I've fitted card interiors.  A Baccy 4575 finds occasional difficulty and the A31s now run in conjunction with Hornby A30s.  My planned Comet A43/A44 set might cause problems as well!

If the new 94xx equals the haulage of the Limbach I'll be happy, but this has a 57xx chassis and the Bachmann can motor, so it might not if it has a smaller motor, coreless or not.  It'll be a while before the real state of affairs is known because Bachmann's plated wheel tyres increase their grip with prolonged running in, but I am fairly confident that I can get it to pull the loaded mineral rake reliably through a combination of ballasting and lightening the currently fully loaded train with foam inserts under the top layer.  It may be that Baccy have made a better job of ballasting this loco than my 57xxs and 8750s; for that matter they may have improved on the smaller panniers' ballasting if the new motor is smaller.  We'll just have to wait and see...

*for now, anyway.  I believe the real future is onboard rechargeable battery power to 100% low amperage axle-motored trains, the axles being the motor shafts of coreless motors, controlled by a DCC type command control system through the rails.  This means any loco will be easily able to haul any weight of train, as the vehicles are powered as well, and it may be possible to induce wheelslip for effect!  Plenty room even in tiny locos for pcbs and speakers, servos for reversers, working inside motion, any whistles and bells you want. But probably not in my lifetime...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, truffy said:

Not necessarily "marginalised" per se, because they're getting the same performance as the DCC/sound brigade, but performance may be being sacrificed for something that is irrelevant to them. I have no idea what the DC/DCC market division is like, though.

No like you I don't know the split .  I'm not sure these coreless motors deliver same performance on DC though . At least Hornby seem to be sticking with normal motors even in their small locos eg Pecketts . No idea whats in the Rocket but its also a nice smooth runner.

3 hours ago, truffy said:

Never mind the market – without a laborious counting process, I don’t even know the split between DC, DCC and DCC sound of my own stock. I have a lot of old non-DCC ready stock which will probably never be converted. I have some hope that the small DCC ready (but not sound ready) locos might eventually be converted but I suspect that I might never manage to equip all my sound-ready locos, much as I would like to.

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

*for now, anyway.  I believe the real future is onboard rechargeable battery power to 100% low amperage axle-motored trains, the axles being the motor shafts of coreless motors, controlled by a DCC type command control system through the rails.  This means any loco will be easily able to haul any weight of train, as the vehicles are powered as well, and it may be possible to induce wheelslip for effect!  Plenty room even in tiny locos for pcbs and speakers, servos for reversers, working inside motion, any whistles and bells you want. But probably not in my lifetime...

People with battery powered locos are very fond of showing them still working away when lifted off the track. I’m not so sure that battery power would be a good thing. With DC and DCC as they are at present, we apply track power and locos go. When I fancy running a particular loco, I don’t want to have to wait for a flat battery to charge. It might be possible for it to charge through the track but would that have any advantage over a stay-alive capacitor? Such capacitors are very useful in that they can overcome a little track dirt or a set of points with dodgy power supply but do we want locos which derail and then make a run for the edge of the baseboard?

1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

People with battery powered locos are very fond of showing them still working away when lifted off the track. I’m not so sure that battery power would be a good thing. With DC and DCC as they are at present, we apply track power and locos go. When I fancy running a particular loco, I don’t want to have to wait for a flat battery to charge. It might be possible for it to charge through the track but would that have any advantage over a stay-alive capacitor? Such capacitors are very useful in that they can overcome a little track dirt or a set of points with dodgy power supply but do we want locos which derail and then make a run for the edge of the baseboard?

TBH that's something I find a bit odd about Accurascale fitting stay alive as standard to their locos. When I E stop, or the controller E stops because of a short, the loco will keep going as far as I am aware unless there is a signal that stops it.

When all's said and done it's a plaster for bad wiring and dirty track as far as I am aware.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 22:09, Paul.Uni said:

Release dates for previously announced models have been updated on the Bachmann website. Below is a list of the OO gauge models that currently have a release date. For any OO gauge models that are not on the list, please check the Bachmann website.

A few models have have had their release date go back by a month or two. The BR Class 45/0 models have moved forward a month. The LNER V2 and a number of wagons are now due for release in March.

All info is from the Bachmann website.

Thanks for posting the update.  Good to see the Railfreight livery VEA now have a date.  Disappointed to not see the ScotRail  Mk2s listed especially since the BG annpunced at the same time appeared so quickly.

When I search individual items on their website the ScotRail Mk2 are showing Awaiting, mind you so are the VEAs eben though they have an August release date.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Thanks for posting the update.  Good to see the Railfreight livery VEA now have a date.  Disappointed to not see the ScotRail  Mk2s listed especially since the BG annpunced at the same time appeared so quickly.

When I search individual items on their website the ScotRail Mk2 are showing Awaiting, mind you so are the VEAs eben though they have an August release date.

I think you have misread the VDA for VEA?  Unless I have missed it I could not see any VEAs on the list, but 38-144A VDA is shown as August

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/br-vda-van-br-railfreight-red-and-grey/38-144a

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

I think you have misread the VDA for VEA?  Unless I have missed it I could not see any VEAs on the list, but 38-144A VDA is shown as August

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/br-vda-van-br-railfreight-red-and-grey/38-144a

You are right, just too excited for the VEAs! 

I did think it odd that the VEAs which had not been on any of the earlier lists had suddenly jumped to August.

Ok then a quick rewrite of my earlier post. Disappointed to not see the VEAs and ScotRail.................

Should I assume the earliest they will appear is beyond the last date in the latest list?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

You are right, just too excited for the VEAs! 

I did think it odd that the VEAs which had not been on any of the earlier lists had suddenly jumped to August.

Ok then a quick rewrite of my earlier post. Disappointed to not see the VEAs and ScotRail.................

Should I assume the earliest they will appear is beyond the last date in the latest list?

Join the club - I am desperate for some good-quality VEAs. Will buy a whole load when they are here.

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The descriptions for in stock on the website seem to have changed to arrived.

Some items are now shown as awaiting and others have the dates of expected arrival.

I suppose awaiting means on the way.

• RMweb Gold

According to the website, the GWR 158 is showing as back in stock in August.
https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/183/class-158-2-car-dmu-158766-gwr-green-(firstgroup)/31-519

Does this mean, in-line with prior tradition, they are making a new number or are they making a repeat run of the previous ?

A new number might go down well, it does seem to have been a very popular model.

Edited by adb968008

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

According to the website, the GWR 158 is showing as back in stock in August.
https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/183/class-158-2-car-dmu-158766-gwr-green-(firstgroup)/31-519

Does this mean, in-line with prior tradition, they are making a new number or are they making a repeat run of the previous ?

A new number might go down well, it does seem to have been a very popular model.

Same otherwise it would have a new catalogue number (a suffix letter added) and certainly not have 158766 in its description.

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Same otherwise it would have a new catalogue number (a suffix letter added) and certainly not have 158766 in its description.

It could well be a second half of the original batch too, rather than a "repeat run". Given these turned up just before everything kicked off in China they could have paused production and then resumed with something else to avoid further delays to that perhaps?

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 12:56, steve1023 said:

... in this country we are way to loco-centric ...

That's pretty much general in RTR model railway. An HO manufacturer some years ago revealed that coach and wagon sales ran at 1 and 3 per loco sold respectively (if my memory serves, someone correct me if I have it wrong!).

Personally I believe it is space on track or in storage that puts MU's at a significant disadvantage. The same number 'N' of coaches as an MU set, combined with N locos (the coach per loco formula) offers many more train permutations from the same track space. If it's a couple of four car MU's you have basically 3 different trains available, they are fixed formation, and will either run singly or coupled up, so very little variety on offer. You can get to 4 if you have them in different liveries. The permutations from 4 coaches and 4 locos run into hundreds. There might only be 50 or so that are realistic for regular use on a given layout scenario, but that's still a lot more than 4 from the same track space or storage.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 11:33, Legend said:

I get using Coreless motors on relatively small locos , but the 94XX is a bit of a brute in comparison . I know its progress but there do seem to be quite a lot of people who don't do sound and who even don't do DCC that are getting marginalised here. 

I believe I have two types of RTR OO models fitted with coreless motors, Rapido Stirling single and Oxford N7. Both ran very well on the ancient Duette I have retained for DC test running ahead of decoder fitting, with ample traction from a dead slow creep into movement (this controller has the optional higher resistance mats fitted). The N7 will move away smoothly with an 8F or 8P trainload, and that would be quite adequate traction for the comparable size 94xx.

It may be that a DC controller with better low output regulation will be required for best performance from a coreless motor, and indeed some of the more efficient iron core can motored models. (As long ago as 2004 my initial purchase of a Bachmann K3 which was test run on a friend's layout for its first run; his old H&M 'Powermaster' couldn't produce anything other than a 'jack rabbit' start and a 'bump' stop from this mechanism.)

• Informative/Useful 1

At long last I see we have expected delivery dates for the awaited Johnson 0-4-4 tanks ( Midland red- October, BR/LMS black -November ) ! which means if the boat takes 3 months to get here and the model in the shops they should be beginning to board about now !

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2020 at 08:54, phil gollin said:

More likely they realise that the price that they'll need to charge is unrealistic.

( OF COURSE, why it should be so high when three of the coaches - including the motor - are merely repeat mouldings, I cannot understand. )

You have to remember that the price quoted is the full retail price and it will be discounted by retailers big and small.

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

You have to remember that the price quoted is the full retail price and it will be discounted by retailers big and small.

But AFAIK they are only allowed to give 15% (in Bachmann's case, 10% for Hornby) for however long after release. And so if retailers think that its not going to sell well at that price some probably won't order many as they'll be sat on the shelves for months. 15% isn't to be sniffed at but on the other hand it is I'd say it is mostly to do with competition (retailers who discount at release vs those who sell at RRP and get away with it) rather than whether somebody is going to buy it or not.

IMO some retailers would sell for very little margin at release if they were allowed to, and others would rather cling onto the item and sell for RRP. The right answer is product dependant IMO. Sometimes it makes sense to have a lot of throughput without a fantastic margin because of the speed of the turnaround/cashflow, and sometimes its better to have a slower cashflow with bigger margins. I'd say the former probably suits the bigger retailers with bigger overheads and staff to keep busy and the holding out for more money is best for smaller shops that haven't the workforce for coping with massive demand driven from competing with everybody online, but will pick up the pieces when supply is low.

• Agree 3