Emergency stop!

I added an emergency stop button to my layout this evening. I have mine set up to run a macro in TrainController, although one could in principle do this without a computer interface by setting the LocoNet address of the input from the switch to the on/off address of the booster, albeit this would not then allow the alarm sound.

See the demonstration video here.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Cant you just press the <Esc> key on the keyboard to instantly stop the layout? That is what I do with the software I use :wacko:.

I could if I were near the keyboard - but these buttons can be anywhere. The first one is not too far from the keyboard, but there will be two others, one in the middle and one at the opposite end of the room.

1 minute ago, Sol said:

I thought most DCC controllers had an emergency stop button - I know Lenz & NCE do.

This is intended to be a computer controlled layout, so I will mostly not be holding a controller.

Also, this is more fun.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lenz have an emergency stop function whereby you connect a push-to-make button to the M and E terminals of the comand station. I have 3 big red buttons at various positions on the layout - easily accessible if there is a sudden panic.

I also have a push-to-break switch under my lift-up flap so if I lift it with power still on the layout stops.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, RFS said:

Lenz have an emergency stop function whereby you connect a push-to-make button to the M and E terminals of the comand station. I have 3 big red buttons at various positions on the layout - easily accessible if there is a sudden panic.

I also have a push-to-break switch under my lift-up flap so if I lift it with power still on the layout stops.

I approve of big red buttons.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RFS said:

Does anyone know if there is something similar for the NCE systems? Our club has a large O gauge layout and the facility to have a few red buttons around the layout would be useful. 

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

Does anyone know if there is something similar for the NCE systems? Our club has a large O gauge layout and the facility to have a few red buttons around the layout would be useful. 

The NCE system has an emergency stop button on the Pro and Power Cabs. Press once to stop your loco or three times to stop the whole layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

By far the simplest way is simply to switch a short across the track. the automatic protection in the command station will then stop everything and one you have fixed the issue start again - even easier if you use an NCE EB1, PSX, MERG DCO or similar because as soon as you remove the short they will reset and layout starts again.

Or another alternative is to place a switch in the feeds from the command station to the bus - On layout goes, Off it stops 

Lots of ways to skin this cat without software or anything clever or complicated ;)

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

By far the simplest way is simply to switch a short across the track. the automatic protection in the command station will then stop everything and one you have fixed the issue start again - even easier if you use an NCE EB1, PSX, MERG DCO or similar because as soon as you remove the short they will reset and layout starts again.

Or another alternative is to place a switch in the feeds from the command station to the bus - On layout goes, Off it stops 

Lots of ways to skin this cat without software or anything clever or complicated ;)

The advantage of having the stop initiated by the command station (eg via the Lenz or NCE Systems) is that the stop is broadcast, so in my case Traincontroller is immediately informed and acts accordingly.  A user-initiated short will do this provided you do not have a circuit breaker, but a short handled by a circuit breaker or a simple on-off switch on the feeds will not. This can result in your layout software continuing to try and schedule trains, including setting turnouts which may or may not take place. Can cause all sorts of problems when the short is cleared which is the main reason why I stopped using my PSX circuit breaker. 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, RFS said:

The advantage of having the stop initiated by the command station (eg via the Lenz or NCE Systems) is that the stop is broadcast, so in my case Traincontroller is immediately informed and acts accordingly.  A user-initiated short will do this provided you do not have a circuit breaker, but a short handled by a circuit breaker or a simple on-off switch on the feeds will not. This can result in your layout software continuing to try and schedule trains, including setting turnouts which may or may not take place. Can cause all sorts of problems when the short is cleared which is the main reason why I stopped using my PSX circuit breaker. 

something I not done yet but it’s on the list. The issue of traincontroller still trying to run a schedule when the psx trips with a short can be stopped by getting psx to operate an output message that you can configure an operation in TC to shut things down

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

something I not done yet but it’s on the list. The issue of traincontroller still trying to run a schedule when the psx trips with a short can be stopped by getting psx to operate an output message that you can configure an operation in TC to shut things down

Yes, this is indeed useful - I have MERG DCOs on my layout, and they are all configured to send a message (via a LocoIO device) whenever they trip. At present, it only sounds an alarm and sends a message, but I will be able to add schedule/clock stopping features when I set up schedules.

16 hours ago, jamespetts said:

I could if I were near the keyboard - but these buttons can be anywhere. The first one is not too far from the keyboard, but there will be two others, one in the middle and one at the opposite end of the room.

This is intended to be a computer controlled layout, so I will mostly not be holding a controller.

Also, this is more fun.

6 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

First time I've ever seen an emergency stop button described as "fun". :scratchhead:

Most of the time James will be redundant whilst the railway operates itself, being called to do something can be classed as fun.

I did watch the full automation video and whilst automation leaves me cold, it's not to say it is not clever or an achievement.  If doing the automation and then watching trains is your thing then it's excellent and now I understand your interesting takes on fiddleyard design, because you yourself said, the ability to quickly change locos adds to the variety of trains that can be seen within the scenic sections.

The unknown failure of the train in automation video has me thinking, is the big red button your only solution here?  Does the system know the locations of all the trains by sensor or because they are told where to be (i.e. move x cm and stop or move to x and stop).  If you are using sensors, should you add some more in locations that need to be cleared so you can establish if a set of points is fouled or if a train has not passed a point, that way some form of programmed emergency stop can be added rather than just relying on your proximity to a big red button and your eyes to see issues?

4 hours ago, RFS said:

All true, but you described this as an emergency stop not a graceful stop. In an emergency stop you simply want all moving parts to stop when the button is pressed - and as most people don’t use software then the methods I describe will work for them.

58 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The unknown failure of the train in automation video has me thinking, is the big red button your only solution here?  Does the system know the locations of all the trains by sensor or because they are told where to be (i.e. move x cm and stop or move to x and stop).  If you are using sensors, should you add some more in locations that need to be cleared so you can establish if a set of points is fouled or if a train has not passed a point, that way some form of programmed emergency stop can be added rather than just relying on your proximity to a big red button and your eyes to see issues?

I can only speak for traincontroller but I suspect I-train does the same. There are several failsafes that can be implemented, I would suspect the big red button solution is not to stop things when the the automation software does not go to plan. But is more to do with derailments ect.

although many dislike automation, for me it is a necessity with such a large layout so when I'm doing shunting or engine changes ect at least other things are still going on. Then of course ther is nothing more relaxing at times is a beer in hand and just watch the trains go by a great stress reliever.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1