YouTube changes - COPPA

Robin2

I wonder if people here have seen this Video that has been prepared by YouTube https://youtu.be/-JzXiSkoFKw

It seems that videos that have content that would appeal to children have to be specially identified even though the video is intended for adults. Also this seems to have little or nothing to do with appropriateness of the content but rather about the fact that YouTube harvests data from viewers and must ensure that it does not do so from child viewers.

There seems to be a risk of a $42,000 fine per video for people who breach the USA "COPPA" law.

There are also a number of YouTube videos from model railway folk who are concerned about this.

...R

• Agree 1

I see that this Topic has been moved to this "Website" section from the Radio Control section in which I started it.

The reason I posted it in the Radio Control section is that a number of people using that section have uploaded videos of their projects to YouTube and may not be aware of the impending legal changes

My concern is that people who use the Radio Control section will not see it here in the Website  section.

...R

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

I see that this Topic has been moved to this "Website" section from the Radio Control section in which I started it.

The reason I posted it in the Radio Control section is that a number of people using that section have uploaded videos of their projects to YouTube and may not be aware of the impending legal changes

The changes don't just apply to those in that niche sub-section and you didn't qualify why you had posted it there so it just looked like you'd posted it in the wrong area. It makes !ore sense in Websites.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Basically you have to set the audience for your channel or each video, as 'for kids' (aged 12 and under) or 'not for kids' (13 up), so YT won't collect inappropriate personally identifiable information from under 13s thus falling foul of the US Child Online Privacy Protection Act, which comes into force in April 2020.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The changes don't just apply to those in that niche sub-section

I agree with that.

Perhaps there is some means by which you could ensure that this issue is brought to the attention of as many Forum readers as possible.

My concern is that people may use the Forum regularly without ever looking at the Websites section.

...R

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Basically you have to set the audience for your channel or each video, as 'for kids' (aged 12 and under) or 'not for kids' (13 up), so YT won't collect inappropriate personally identifiable information from under 13s thus falling foul of the US Child Online Privacy Protection Act, which comes into force in April 2020.

Yes but the problem seems to be this:

yt.JPG.16f93fa0fd136f5f0eefed79287ee6d2.JPG

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

My concern is that people may use the Forum regularly without ever looking at the Websites section.

More people view this area than RC.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

It does not seem to be so simple.

As I understand it if you mark something as "not for kids" YouTube could change that rating if it considered that kids would actually watch your video. And even if they did not change it it does not mean that your original assessment is valid.

This is all tied in with how YouTube, and YouTube users make money. They want to be able to harvest data about users, but they are not allowed to do so if a child is the user. Consequently there is an incentive for people who do want to monetize stuff that is really intended for kids to pretend that it is not.

To my mind YouTube should have a separate KidsTube with a totally separate URL so that parents and guardians could block access to the regular YouTube for the children in their care.

There may also be an interesting question whether an offence is committed by the video owner if s/he is not collecting kids' data and is not getting paid in any way by reason of the video being on YouTube. A lot of this may be an attempt by YouTube to get users to solve a problem that is really YouTube's problem. Scope for more research ...

...R

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

More people view this area than RC.

I'm well aware of that. But I am not one of them - which I why I made my comment in the area that I was familiar with.

Let's move on from that and see if ALL Forum members can be made aware of this problem.  Maybe you could arrange for a STICKY to appear at the top of each section of the Forum from now until the end of January? (Or something equivalent).

...R

Edited by Robin2

• RMweb Gold

Yes I agree, if YT policed their sign up process with age verification, then things would be simpler. 

So if YT does tag your video as for kids, what practical difference does it make to the hobbiest creator? I.e. a person not trying to make a living out of their channel. I can understand the pewdie pie types getting upset, but even the best model railways vlogs struggle to get much past 20k subscribers at the moment.

16 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

So if YT does tag your video as for kids, what practical difference does it make to the hobbiest creator?

The impression I have is that videos marked as suitable for kids won't be able to receive comments which may remove a lot of the purpose for creating a series of model railway videos. I think there will be other restrictions as well which would make the video harder to find.

But I'm certainly not the expert. I knew nothing of this before yesterday.

The YouTube video that I linked to defines two categories of videos - those "for for kids" and "not for kids" but I think their classification misses the point (perhaps deliberately) that the distinction is between "attractive to kids" and "not attractive to kids". And in that scenario there needs to be a 3rd category for videos that are "attractive to kids but not intended for kids" and which can be treated as "adult" by preventing kids from viewing them.

...R

Robin

thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I think my YouTube library may have as many as 10 videos, none of which are likely to hold a child’s attention for more than thirty seconds.  

Nonetheless, I will try to mark them as suitable for children over fifty.

I failed - there doesn’t seem to be any obvious selection or tag on the existing videos.

cheers

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, Simond said:

I failed - there doesn’t seem to be any obvious selection or tag on the existing videos.

Youtube never did understand the concept of intuitive navigation! Here's where I found it: 

-Choose Youtube Studio in the top right menu, then choose Settings in left hand menu,  then Channel, then Advanced Settings.

I've tentatively set my whole channel as "Made for kids". It's not, but  it seems to be the safe bet in my case. I mainly just use it as a place to store videos.

I’ve put my channel project on hold because of this, in hope that the combined rage of thousands changes the law.

I’ve already seen some great channels shut down which is a real shame.
And if these changes weren’t bad enough, a group of hackers have destroyed several channels already. 

it’s not looking good for YouTube

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

it’s not looking good for YouTube

People say this all the time, every time any tiny change happens. How can great channels have been shut down when the law isn't even in force yet, other than the channel creators shutting the channel down themselves?

• Agree 2

I sympathise with those who are, or might be, caught up in this, but I gave up on all things YouTube a while a go now (or actually they withdraw my logon). Being a mild obsessive I missed it for a while but now I seem to get by just fine without it and I think others will do too.

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robin2 said:

I wonder if people here have seen this Video that has been prepared by YouTube https://youtu.be/-JzXiSkoFKw

It seems that videos that have content that would appeal to children have to be specially identified even though the video is intended for adults. Also this seems to have little or nothing to do with appropriateness of the content but rather about the fact that YouTube harvests data from viewers and must ensure that it does not do so from child viewers.

There seems to be a risk of a $42,000 fine per video for people who breach the USA "COPPA" law.

There are also a number of YouTube videos from model railway folk who are concerned about this.

...R

There is no risk of UK railway modellers getting fined !

Not so long ago there was a case of a British dealer of goods to Iran who was conducting all his business on-line in Britain. This wasn't illegal in the UK but is in the USA. He was sent to the US and is now serving a prison sentence.

US law has a very long arm.

Bearing in mind the number of children seen at model railway shows and obviously enjoying the experience I wonder if any video of railway models could be of interest to enforcers of this law.