Rawie buffers

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Could not find these on here so if mods could put in right place if I got it wrong.

Check out the IRM website for the Rawie bufferstops being delivered now - mine in the post box today and a lovely modern bufferstop complete with sets of the friction blocks and a useful gauge to get these correctly placed - I am sure that our compresive skills will mean not all get fitted on most models.

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/buffer-stops

Robert 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received a set for my DC layout - only concern I had was the lights only come on when the train is departing - surely on the prototype if they're not on permanently they would light up when the train is arriving?

As I plan to have them lit permanently I'll wire them to a separate feed anyway.

Does anybody know if there's a prototype for using them in goods yards etc, or are they only used in stations?

On 09/06/2020 at 01:01, slg said:

Just got a pair from Kernow very impressed with them. 

I know the buffers in this video aren't yours but how often to you see them being tested

I was expecting / hoping to see the train hit them at speed which would be the correct way to test them!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

Just received a set for my DC layout - only concern I had was the lights only come on when the train is departing - surely on the prototype if they're not on permanently they would light up when the train is arriving?

As I plan to have them lit permanently I'll wire them to a separate feed anyway.

Does anybody know if there's a prototype for using them in goods yards etc, or are they only used in stations?

Hi Bartram,

On DC, just like a loco, or lightbulb, the LED will only light when power is applied. We suggest providing a permanent / switched 12v supply to the section of track the buffer sits on when running DC (or using high frequency rail cleaners)

The LED versions are typically used on termini and sidings near running lines, but the unlit versions can be used in any setting (but as always there is a prototype for everything :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bartram108 said:

I was expecting / hoping to see the train hit them at speed which would be the correct way to test them!

As a loco owner I can say "sod that at speed", never mind testing the buffers your tests the loco as well.