Which 42/72xx kit is this please

I recently bought a set of etches for a GWR 42/54/72xx loco, there are no identification marks on the frets, please does anyone know what kit this comes from

25.jpeg.e9cd288e914cb7774059b5f94b87f1e0.jpeg26.jpeg.f20f4cce7530afcbd6efbc424af4f0db.jpeg

These were no instructions with the frets or castings. The latter I have most parts in my spares box, the few I haven't should be easy to source

55 minutes ago, Carnforth said:

Me neither but some one surely will. Could the M be for McGowan?

The initials are Probably the designer so a bit of a red herring.  Showed your pics to a mate. He says they are definitely Woresly ironworks. They only sell a set of etches. Don't come with castings or instructions. 

2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Is this an 0 gauge kit. If so I believe the JM range ceased when John Maidment died a couple of years ago. They were I believe taken on by Gladiator Models. So an email to them may be your best bet.

https://www.gladiatormodels.com/index.php/loco_kits_-_gwr-br/?k=:12:

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks, It's 4 mm scale. As said the initials may be the designer and I guess their origin may be as suggested from Worsley Works

2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

The initials are Probably the designer so a bit of a red herring.  Showed your pics to a mate. He says they are definitely Woresly ironworks. They only sell a set of etches. Don't come with castings or instructions. 

Thank you very much, answers one question as to the origin plus explains the paperwork which came with them

I would like to throw a slight bit of doubt into the thoughts it may be a Worsley Works kit. Worsley do either a 72xx kit or a 42xx kit and both body and chassis are etched in nicklesilver, plus you have to state whether you want an 00/EM/P4 version. The kit I have can be built as either the 42xx, 52xx or 72xx version, the body etching is brass and the chassis nickle silver, spacers for 00/EM & P4 gauges are included

Whilst I guess the material used can change, the artwork is for the 3 variants and all 3 gauges ?

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 1

It’s not Worsley Works. I had a set of their 52xx etched once and they looked nothing like the ones you have. They were much more basic. 

They definitely have a Malcom Mitchell style to them. I believe he did a set of 7mm etches and some 4mm reductions were done, or perhaps it was the other way around.  The writing looks to have been added after the tool had been created, it’s all a bit wonky. The initials on the fret may not be a reliable indicator of who drew it. 

Justin 

Not PDK unless they changed the design. The PDK kit I have has on one part fret marked; '72xx Heavy Tank By P. A. Hill'.

The nickel silver chassis is a fold up arrangement without separate spacers.

There are witemetal castings for cylinders, firebox and boiler over the tanks plus smaller details.

On 30/11/2019 at 17:19, cypherman said:

Is this an 0 gauge kit. If so I believe the JM range ceased when John Maidment died a couple of years ago. They were I believe taken on by Gladiator Models. So an email to them may be your best bet.

https://www.gladiatormodels.com/index.php/loco_kits_-_gwr-br/?k=:12:

I hope you find this helpful.

The seller thinks they were made by John Maidment, so I guess either a scaled down etch from 7 mm or he did a 4 mm scale version. Whatever I am very pleased with them

Some time ago a friend gave me some K's cast parts which were not enough to make a loco, but perhaps he thought I could scratch build what was missing. Anyway there were castings for the firebox/boiler/smoke box assembly and quite a few castings for the missing castings, in addition I have plenty of other castings and turnings plus spare sprung buffers. 

Will do, not decided which version to model as no idea the difference between a 42xx and 52xx, I have a K's 72xx which needs new chassis parts, an incomplete set of castings which will provide the missing boiler and casting parts which I assume will build any of the 3 versions plus a K's 42xx in bits

I am thinking of a 2-8-0t rather than 2-8-2t