Hello everyone!

I've been looking at a GBL C class body I've had spare for a wee while and wondering what to do with it. Having already got two Cs in the making, an O and O1 planned, and perhaps one of the Brighton C variants, it seemed a bit pointless to hold onto it in its current form. 

But wait. 

The SECR C was developed from the Chatham B2 class, with many features seemingly transferred straight over to the more modern vehicle. How promising. 

Looking at photos and drawings, there are a few differences, but they aren't terribly difficult to deal with;

• The splashers need swapping over
  • The smokebox needs a wingplate
  • A new cab is needed 
  • The driving wheels are 2'' shorter on a B2 (I doubt this is noticeable at all) 
  • Tenders aren't entirely identical, but close enough to perhaps warrant using a GBL tender modified slightly
  • Possibly a new chimney? I don't really see any difference

534390602_C_B2comp.jpg.448c87091da41f73d5b15772c0736cac.jpg

Overall, the dimensions are there and it seems like a relatively fun and simple conversion (famous last words...) 

I've already started by removing the splashers and the injectors (I'm guessing that's what the small gold pips were on the side of the smokebox?), and cut out the majority of the centre in the frames, as well as remove the front set of steps (The C2s didn't have these). My next step will be to tidy up the space left on the footplate and open up the space enough to accept a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis (I'm unsure if I'll stick with this, but for testing the loco clearance, it works). Furthermore, the cab space will need to be cut out and a new cab floor installed, but I can do that in good time. Then the splashers will need sanding back internally as much as possible, and a new wingplate for the smokebox forming in plasticard eventually. 

All of this took me around an hour? 

The cab replacement, I may consider working with one of the CAD-whizzes on here to solve that, once I find better drawings, as I also want some Wainwright-pattern cabs for my Stirling project, just for some variety. 

Thoughts, everyone?

image.png.76592a05303cd0a77a22cc74402840e3.pngimage.png.3cce2b381f08a2a415ac5ba567b2e0b5.pngimage.png.20de966f2ba088489f714e8f90f961ae.png 

image.png.e5add0a179a65437daa7cb7911461750.png

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

It looks like a promising conversion!

I don't know if I could take modelling tools to such a pretty livery so good on you. I am more fond of Bachmann chassis personally but are the Hornby ones cheaper/easier to get hold of?

Good luck,

John.

• Like 1

I think the 'gold pips' you mention are cylinder lubricators.  The brass items on the front ring of the boiler are the clack valves which are part of the injector system.    You wouldn't want to be injecting water into the smokebox!!!:nono:

Jim

• Like 1

Ah, see, as much as I like the full Wainwright (Full Monty? Ahem. You can leave your brass cap on?), it had all gone by my time period and besides, I like other liveries just as much. 

The Hornby ones are very readily available, and for around £12 each. A Bachmann Pannier chassis, which looks to be the one that would match, is easily £30 and I try to do things as cheaply as possible. 

1 minute ago, Caley Jim said:

I think the 'gold pips' you mention are cylinder lubricators.  The brass items on the front ring of the boiler are the clack valves which are part of the injector system.    You wouldn't want to be injecting water into the smokebox!!!https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_nono.gif

Jim

I had a feeling I was very wrong! Injectors indeed... Thanks for that :) 

• Like 2

This is interesting.  I have just bought a second hand Bachmann C class to eventually convert to a B2.  It is for a LCDR project that is so far in the future it probably will never happen.  All I was going to do was move the splashers and ad the wing plates.  I am sure no one who sees it would know the difference.

You probably know that the LCDR men called the C class the B3s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This sets me wondering whether one could do a Hull & Barnsley Class B by the same route but I find these were more similar to the Chatham B1s than B2s. Is a B1 that much different from a B2? The works grey photo of a H&B B that I'm looking at looks pretty much indistinguishable from the works grey photo of the B2 in your post, @AVS1998.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I honestly know very little about the B1 class I'm afraid, and there doesn't seem to be much information on the internet, either. I can always try to look in some books in the library during the week? 

The main difference I was given the impression of was the boiler is slightly smaller? But I wouldn't swear to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago I worked my way through Bradley's books on the locomotives of the various southern companies, borrowed from the public library. If I was really determined to know, rather than just making a casual enquiry, I'd track down a copy of that. In fact, if I wasn't in an un-Amazonish Black Friday mood, I'd splash out a fiver right now.

What is the source of your drawing, photograph, and diagram of the B2?

• Like 1

The drawings came from a collection I was given by someone and then scanned into my laptop, I don't know the specifics. One of them came from a book I found in the library but I can't remember which (it may be the Bradley you mentioned). I'll take another look during the week. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

What is the source of your drawing, photograph, and diagram of the B2?

There was a drawing of one in MRN in the late 50s or 60s.

39 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I think this was it, it's where several drawings i have came from by the looks of things. 

What a pity we don't have those same resources anymore. 

The Locomotive History of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway, by D L Bradley, an RCTS publication.  I bought mine on eBay, and has all you ever wanted to know about LCDR locomotives, and probably some stuff you do not want to.  There is a little allocation detail.  Pictures, of all classes but no diagrams. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'll keep an eye out for a copy then, or see if I can't find it in the library. My allocation under SECR days (as I imagine they didn't wander too far off Chatham metals) would probably be Ashford then? But I can figure all that out once the build is complete. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Regularity said:

Model Railway News, December 1963.

I find this web page, combined with the excellent collection of old magazines we have at my club, to be extremely useful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was wondering about the choice of a Bachmann chassis over a Hornby one. 

When building a Caledonian Jumbo I started off with the intentions of using a Bachmann Pannier tank chassis but quickly found the can motor much to wide for the boiler/firebox area of the Jumbo so went for a standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis instead. 

No loss as the Bachmann chassis went under a Caley tank loco where the side tanks gave more room for the can motor.

I've got a GBL C class in the parts box and have thought about a G&SWR smellie 22 class 0-6-0.

The Tenders of both are very similar dimension and style wise and as well as detail changes like the splashers etc the addition of a Sterling style cab will go a long way to achieving the desired result.

Steve

Edited by Londontram
Add additional text
  • Like 2

Quick question - did Chatham locos become dual braked, thus receiving the SECR brake cylinder, upon its formation, or did they stay single braked? Or is it a frustrating case-by-case basis, as per? 

• Like 1

On 30/11/2019 at 18:29, AVS1998 said:

My next step will be to tidy up the space left on the footplate and open up the space enough to accept a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis (I'm unsure if I'll stick with this, but for testing the loco clearance, it works).

If you're referring to the chassis that's under the railroad Jinty, I've used that in an R Class, but had to hack away a large cast section at the front to allow me to model the bottom of the boiler. Other than that, it runs surprisingly well, so you might be onto a budget winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Funnily enough, I did think about cutting away some of the diecast block for the B2 and my other C class so I can keep the boilers intact on those two. But we'll see. 

The other c is in lined black so it isn't too bad without a boiler bottom (I hope that makes sense!) 

I'll do an update later this evening, I'm currently sat with a head full of hair dye and I don't fancy my chances of not dribbling pink all over my laptop... 

Righto, I'm all rinsed and looking terribly colourful, and I'm now ready to share the first primed photos of the B2.

First things first, a quick family portrait with the three sisters; 

image.png.ff908b84b1f7765221c3832f3efa1ac9.png

Last night, whilst watching A Clockwork Orange (which I hadn't seen in years, fantastic film though I do prefer the book), I continued to cut out the spaces for the wheels in the footplate. I perhaps overdid it, but I'd always rather take too much than not enough.

image.png.facce9d3a0c241ebfb9dcf3c49a9a6df.png

After this was done and they were quickly tidied up, the splashers were glued back on in their new arrangement, and I must say, the 'face' of the locomotive looks rather impressive, and far older. 

image.png.1c37350cd4006f1ccea4cfa6921faabe.png

image.png.9ca27daeb9a20f7811eeefed53d5f8ea.png

I may try to fill the gap between the forward splashers and the smokebox, just to make it look a little more cohesive and tidy, but otherwise I'm very happy with how it looks. 

The cab floor was also reinstated with my usual plasticard sheet cut to size (I managed to preserve the inside splashers this time! Yay me!)

image.png.e25298d463c3c4161ac3cf46c0868014.png

Lamp irons will be done in time, the brake pipe also fitted at this point, too. It's a fun little project, this... I know some more tidying up is needed but given where we're at so far, I'm pretty happy with it!

I'm not sure if I mentioned, by the way, but I am hoping I can persuade someone to help me with 3D designing and printing a Kirtley cab for the B2, and a pair of Wainwright cabs for my Stirling Single projects, so if anyone feels generous, and I provide dimensions and drawings...? 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AVS1998 said:

I'm not sure if I mentioned, by the way,

You have, several times :P

If you PM me drawings I'll have a look, but can't guarantee anything, depends how complex it looks really

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Love what your doing with this.

Just a suggestion, but could you not reuse the cab front from the C-class and make new sides and roof from plastic card stock instead? If the drawing were printed to scale, you could cut out the cab side from the drawing and use it as a template. My only concern would be if the footplate is of the correct length for the longer LC&DR cab.

Dana

Edited by Dana Ashdown
  • Like 2

I think the B2 cab was slightly wider... But we'll see. I did contemplate using the cab and trying to extend it but I'm not too convinced it would recycle very well. 

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Quick question - did Chatham locos become dual braked, thus receiving the SECR brake cylinder, upon its formation, or did they stay single braked? Or is it a frustrating case-by-case basis, as per? 

According to Bradley all the B2s were dual braked from new. If by 'SECR brake cylinder' you are referring to the thing on the side of the C class boiler, that is a steam reverser and wouldn't be on the B2. It could sub for the air pump if moved back to just in front of the cab.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1