coach lighting

TEAMYAKIMA

I model HO not OO and I have spent days and days modelling individual interiors - each coach has scenes and interactions - it wasn't just a case of plopping down a figure every 5mm.

However I have always avoided coach lighting - partly because of cost (lit versions of these coaches were available but much more expensive) but also I wanted subtlety , I didn't want the layout to look like one of those Fleischmann toy train layouts that used to feature in the Central Hall shows.

The trouble is that I guess that less than 0.1% of viewers notice the dark interiors as the trains rubble by. So, I am reluctantly having to consider lit coaches. I don't really want coaches that pick up current from the track - I don't want flicker!

I guess there are battery powered lighting strips - what are the pros and cons?

Would fitting stay alive capacitors not be a better method.

Battery operated lighting strips - one per coach or one per train - the former a lot of batteries to replace, the latter you have to wire the whole train together.

Track powered lights with a capacitor would overcome flicker would it not?

As you are using DCC a small stay alive capacitor on the decoder, or even simply a capacitor across the pickups if you are wiring direct to the wheels without a decoder will do it.

You only need a decoder if you want to switch the lights off.

Look at DCC Concepts for pickups or Digikeijs for complete kits

https://www.digikeijs.com/en/dr100y-h0-lighting-installation-kit-yellow.html

Train-Tech do vibration-triggered battery-powered coach lighting that has a delay before it switches off.  It stays on for short periods (such as stops at stations).  It uses batteries that are about the size and shape of large coins.  The batteries are of a type that are readily available.  If you have a lot of coaches then this method might not be cost effective, though.  Works well, although I haven't bothered to replace the batteries lately, so not at the moment on my layout.  By the way, the batteries last longer if you don't live right on a busy road with heavy lorries and agricultural vehicles where the coaches are stored near the road, triggering the coach lights.

Link to an example at Hattons:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/80686/train_tech_cl2_standard_coach_lighting_strips_warm_white/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard Lee said:

Train-Tech do vibration-triggered battery-powered coach lighting that has a delay before it switches off.  It stays on for short periods (such as stops at stations).  It uses batteries that are about the size and shape of large coins.  The batteries are of a type that are readily available.  If you have a lot of coaches then this method might not be cost effective, though.  Works well, although I haven't bothered to replace the batteries lately, so not at the moment on my layout.  By the way, the batteries last longer if you don't live right on a busy road with heavy lorries and agricultural vehicles where the coaches are stored near the road, triggering the coach lights.

Link to an example at Hattons:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/80686/train_tech_cl2_standard_coach_lighting_strips_warm_white/stockdetail.aspx

Thank you, I have contacted them today. My only issues are that my HO coaches are approx. 300mm externally and so not sure if they will be long enough and that I have about 28 coaches to light!!!

• RMweb Gold

Coach lighting can be very effective when the ambient lighting is low but unless all vehicles operating in one session are so equipped, a one-sided effect can result, one exception being ecs workings. Maybe an "all or nothing" approach, depending on the number of vehicles, the former might prove very time consuming and expensive for what is gained - you takes your choices.