Scribing 7 inch planks in 1/76 scale

J25

I need to reproduce a small area of 7 inch planking. This distance doesn't line up with any mm or 1/2mm lines on a steel rule. Does anybody have any tips or know of any tools for reproducing accurately space lines?  Is a divider and a magnifier the only way forward? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Hold the rule at an angle so that the total number of planks required is a whole number of mm.

e.g. For twelve 7" planks mark two parallel lines 28mm apart and line up the rule at 36 mm. Each plank is then 3mm wide.

7" planks sounds like a P.O. mineral wagon? The top two planks were usually 9", just to be awkward.

• RMweb Premium

Three planks is 7 mm, so that can be done using just the steel rule; the lines in between can be eyeballed or use @Terra-Nova2's suggestion, which introduces only 2% error. Once you're happy with the two interpolated lines, these can be reproduced at 7 mm intervals. 

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

I think we would be very constrained if we only ever used 1mm or 0.5mm units! Measuring 2.3mm isn't really that difficult. To take account of the 0.03, just round up...so 2.3, 4.7, 7.0, 9.3, 11.6, 13.9, 16.3.. until you get to your desired total distance.

• Agree 1

Thanks for all the replies. The maths is not a problem, but my eyesight is. I will have a go at some of the suggestions. The panels are for a cut-and-shut Bachman cattle wagon to represent an LMS d1661.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If you have access to a computer with a drawing program and a decent printer, you could draw a template with the correct line spacing magnified on the screen and printed actual size. 

A 600dpi printer (which is probably the minimum spec for anything in the last 10 years - a £29.99 HP printer from PCWorld claims to be 1200x4800dpi) should be able to print lines with a precision of 0.04mm.

P.S. If you want a more model railway orientated supplier than Il Grifone's example, the Parkside wagon is also available direct from Peco (I bear no responsibility if you get tempted into other wagon purchases too - very pleased with the quality of the last Parkside kits I built). 

Edited by sharris