Hornby Advent Calendar!

Hroth

2nd December, the Festive Fun continues...

Any online order of £30 or more, using the magic password  SANTA19 gets a free copy of Hornby Hobbies - A Model History.

(This offer is ony available online today while stocks last!)

Obviously not a terribly popular bookazine!

• Funny 2

3rd December. Another "competition".

It is time for the annual Hornby Forum Christmas Competition!  Say how Hornby and model railways bring you and your family together over the festive period for the chance to win a "fantastic" Eurostar Train set (R1176).

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

These rewards so far don't seem great do they. A free book (if you spend £30) because it didn't sell well and a eurostar trainset with tooling from the 90s. Last year was pretty poor as well with links to videos on what you could buy from Hornby and How To Choose a Trainset, at one point there was read our blog and find a local stockist. I'm sure this advent calendar gets worse and worse every year that they do it.

Can't wait to see what we get this year, mostly because I think it will be pretty funny seeing how many bad ideas they can come up with. Its more of a joke advent calendar than a model railway advent calendar. 

You can always pass on your brilliant ideas to help them improve. 

On 01/12/2019 at 13:43, Hroth said:

Yep, its that time of year again.....

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/advent-calendar

The fun for December 1st is a competition to win a Cola Train Set!

Funny thing is, that's what I want!

Not for me. But it'll be pretty good for the little ones though.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4th December, already!

Today's competition is only useful for Facebookerites.  "Like the post and comment" (whatever that means) and you could WIN an Industrial Freight Train Set (R1228).  However, the Calender page illustrated the equally dire West Coast Highlander set....

I have long accepted that the Hornby advent calendar is not for me but aimed more at newer modelers (in the broad sense of the term). None of these sets etc, could ever interest me.

However Kernow too are doing an advent calendar which I feel is more apt. Day 1, a Bachmann DRS class 37 exclusive for £99, day 2 a Kernow/DJM tank loco for £69, Day 3 a Bachmann DCC fitted mk2F TSO for £60.... (well the last one does not look as great a bargain as the first two....).

Ok, nothing for me yet in Kernow's version, but it is only a question of time before they probably will grab my money with an item that I would like to have.

Edited by JSpencer
Correct TSP to TSO

9 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

However Kernow too are doing an advent calendar which I feel is more apt.

I know that Rails do one, but not that Kernow had one too. I'm only reporting the Hornby one so that other RMwebbers don't have to look unless interested...  :jester:

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that Hornby are aiming their Advent Calendar at us, and that reflects on the choice of items promoted.

After all we don't buy because its Christmas, or Easter, or August Bank Holiday; we buy because the boat has docked with the latest goodies. But a parent being pestered for a trainset for Christmas may well go to the Hornby website, find the calendar there and find something of interest. Or having already bought a trainset for the "big day" might use the calendar to entice their child into the world of Hornby with daily tempters. These tempters may turn into "I wants" and more sales for Hornby.

Ultimately, if we want a superbly detailed [insert item of choice] to be announced in early January we need Hornby to sell all they can at Christmas.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, micklner said:

I am on the Kernow mailing list and never a had a Advent calendar email. Nothing obvious on their webapage either?.

From Saturdays newsletter:

Hello from all of us here at Kernow Model Rail Centre - both teams in Camborne and Guildford! The Model Shop of the Year awards opens today for voting - read about it further down the newsletter!

For those of you who have yet to realise it is the seasonal month of Christmas soon (how can you not?! I feel like I have been bombarded with Christmas songs everywhere I go!) it is December on Sunday and we have Kernow's Christmas Countdown starting - how very exciting! It will be posted daily on our Facebook page so if you do not follow us on Facebook I would suggest now is a good time!

This banner will be on the homepage of our website so, fear not, if you aren't signed up to Facebook - you can just click the banner on our website from Sunday! The announced item will be at their reduced price for a minimum of 24 hours so, if it looks a bit of alright to you then, don't delay!

”This banner will be on the homepage of our website so, fear not, if you aren't signed up to Facebook - you can just click the banner on our website from Sunday!”

(in the festive spirit)

OH NO IT ISN’T!

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, truffy said:

”This banner will be on the homepage of our website so, fear not, if you aren't signed up to Facebook - you can just click the banner on our website from Sunday!”

(in the festive spirit)

OH NO IT ISN’T!

Yes it is

image.png.0305bbd31b2e24ea1ce4c81a063e0158.png

• Thanks 1

6th December.  Hornby continues the recycling theme....

Hornby Says:

New to railway modelling?

Entering the world of model railways can seem overwhelming at first but it doesn’t need to be. This Christmas, we here at Hornby are on hand and ready to help, with the assistance of some experts from our Forum we have put together a guide to help you avoid some common pit falls and get started with the hobby. 

Explore our Christmas Guide now! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, Hroth said:

6th December.  Hornby continues the recycling theme....

Hornby Says:

New to railway modelling?

Entering the world of model railways can seem overwhelming at first but it doesn’t need to be. This Christmas, we here at Hornby are on hand and ready to help, with the assistance of some experts from our Forum we have put together a guide to help you avoid some common pit falls and get started with the hobby. 

Explore our Christmas Guide now! 

It's getting more and more mundane on an almost daily basis. Surely it's got to bottom out soon?

But, thank you for "reporting the Hornby one so that other RMwebbers don't have to look", it's a service to the community that you're performing!

Edited by truffy
Big ups!
  • Like 1