NCE Powercab not working.

hucknall byron

4 hours ago, Edward said:

The one that gets me is plugging into the wrong socket at the front panel.   Also the wrong cable as well!

I use a Power Cab for my programming track. I also prefer the panel to be upside down (compared to NCE's instructions) so that the LED is at the top and doesn't have trailing cables obscuring it. I got over the problem of remembering which side is the 'power' side, and used a white paint pen to draw prominent arrows over and under the correct socket. You can just make out the arrows on the lower left of the photo.

35866555820_fb4fdebb4b_k.jpg
Provender Store Progress 30-07-17 - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. As Ian said i'm trying it out at his when we can sort out a time. A lesson for all here I think as I was just about ready to chuck it out of the window instead I have got on with some nice relaxing scenic work to Bulwell Market aka Hucknall Market and I am once again at peace with the world :wacko:.

On 01/12/2019 at 17:57, hucknall byron said:

My powercab has a problem? No light on the front panel, the handset display is working and responds to buttons being pressed etc in the display panel, but it is not sending power to the track. Any suggestions or where I might send it for repair?

Where are you located?  Assuming you haven't had time to get to Redgate Models and that you have done all of the checks provided in previous posts you could try the following, making sure you have first removed the flat cable from the handset:

Turn the throttle over and remove all of the screws from the back of the throttle EXCEPT the one at the bottom of the central plate. 

Put the screws carefully to one side and turn the whole throttle over. 

Carefully separate the top part of the casing from the bottom. 

You will then see the interior circuit board.

Remove it and turn it over, making sure you only handle the board around the edges.

Look at the large processor chip and check to make sure it is firmly pressed into its socket.

Then look at the components close to the connecting socket at the base of the board and examine them for any signs of burning.  There shouldn't be, as you are getting some response from the handset, but better to check whilst the throttle is disassembled.

Reassemble the throttle and replace the screws.

Plug in the cable and test.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

HI John,

I had hoped to arrange a time for Richard (Hucknall Byron) to call round over Christmas but my father was rushed into hospital on Boxing Day so my time was otherwise engaged :(

We have yet to set a "date" for him to call round, but it will be soon :)

• Like 1

An update on this chaps. This morning I thought I would give it one more go and hey presto the light on the front panel illuminated ( it was as dead as a doornail before despite all my efforts) this encouraged me to look into things further and I have eventually through a process of elimination and much wiggling about of wires tracked the problem to one of the connections on the little plug socket that plugs into the back of the panel. I have a new one coming from Digitrains and I am confident that it will be problem solved. Thanks John, Ian and everyone else who has been helpful. 

4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

HI John,

I had hoped to arrange a time for Richard (Hucknall Byron) to call round over Christmas but my father was rushed into hospital on Boxing Day so my time was otherwise engaged :(

We have yet to set a "date" for him to call round, but it will be soon :)

Hi Richard

So sorry to hear about your father.  I sincerely hope he is on the path to recovery now.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BromsMods said:

Hi Richard

So sorry to hear about your father.  I sincerely hope he is on the path to recovery now.

Thanks John, 

He's much better, actually sat with me as he's come round for tea with my sister 

Cheers 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1