DCC Decoder Identity ?

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

The current Lenz Silver+ 21-pin decoder has 5 functions. Whether the earlier version (without the +) has 5 too I couldn't say. What does CV 7 say? That will tell you the version.

The Standard has never been offered as a 21-pin decoder. Would have been nice if they had though. 

25 minutes ago, RFS said:

The current Lenz Silver+ 21-pin decoder has 5 functions. Whether the earlier version (without the +) has 5 too I couldn't say. What does CV 7 say? That will tell you the version.

The Standard has never been offered as a 21-pin decoder. Would have been nice if they had though. 

CV7 reads 99 also.... I was also pretty sure Standards were not available in 21pin versions. 

• RMweb Gold

Just checked and CV7=99 is correct for the Silver21+ decoder that you have. What you need to know is what the CV7 value is for the unknown decoder. If it's the earlier version of the Lenz 21 (ie Silver not Silver+) then it should have a value of 79.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

That's the value of CV8 which is the manufacturer id and 79 is indeed Hatton's. CV7 is then the manufacturer's model number which is what I am referring to here, with CV7=79 meaning a Silver 21 decoder. 

11 minutes ago, RFS said:

That's the value of CV8 which is the manufacturer id and 79 is indeed Hatton's. CV7 is then the manufacturer's model number which is what I am referring to here, with CV7=79 meaning a Silver 21 decoder. 

Apologies - of course it is. You would need to see if a manufacturer posts this detail in the public domain.

• RMweb Gold

My file of Lenz definitions shows code 82 being "82 Silver21 mit 21pol. Federleiste" with Federleiste being German for "female connector". 

I think you have labelled your two decoders the wrong way round: your unknown decoder is indeed the latest Silver21+ decoder and CV 128 will tell you if the firmware is current, the current release being 14. It's your other decoder that's the earlier Silver (ie non +) version.

This is the copy of the file but there may be a couple missing:

70 Gold mini
 71 Gold H0
 72 Gold maxi
 73 Köf H0
 75 Silver
 76 Silver mini
 77 0-V36
 78 Silver direct
 79 Silver 21
 80 LF101XF
 81 Standard
 82 Silver21 mit 21pol. Federleiste
 83 LRC100
 90 Gold mini PLUS
 91 Gold (H0) PLUS
 92 Gold21 PLUS
 93 Standard PLUS
 95 Silver PLUS
 96 Silver mini PLUS
 97 Silver Plux12 PLUS
 98 Silver direct PLUS
 99 Silver21 PLUS 

Edited by RFS

1 hour ago, RFS said:

My file of Lenz definitions shows code 82 being "82 Silver21 mit 21pol. Federleiste" with Federleiste being German for "female connector". 

>> Re the photo above on the left is an original Lenz Silver - I've had it for a number of years still with manual, so it's def NOT a + version.  CV128 on it reads  2

I think you have labelled your two decoders the wrong way round: your unknown decoder is indeed the latest Silver21+ decoder and CV 128 will tell you if the firmware is current, the current release being 14. It's your other decoder that's the earlier Silver (ie non +) version.

>> The "unknown" decoder on the right on the above photo looks nothing like a Lenz Silver of any kind, the board layout is completely different.   CV128 on it reads 14  

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Lenz-10321-Silver-21-plus-Locomotive-Decoder-10321-01/

above link shows a 21pin Silver + it's very similar to the original standard Silver in my above photo, but nothing like the "unknown" decoder

This is the copy of the file but there may be a couple missing:

70 Gold mini
 71 Gold H0
 72 Gold maxi
 73 Köf H0
 75 Silver
 76 Silver mini
 77 0-V36
 78 Silver direct
 79 Silver 21
 80 LF101XF
 81 Standard
 82 Silver21 mit 21pol. Federleiste
 83 LRC100
 90 Gold mini PLUS
 91 Gold (H0) PLUS
 92 Gold21 PLUS
 93 Standard PLUS
 95 Silver PLUS
 96 Silver mini PLUS
 97 Silver Plux12 PLUS
 98 Silver direct PLUS
 99 Silver21 PLUS 

• RMweb Gold

Here's a picture from Kernow which is different again. Perhaps one of these retailers is using an old picture as the MRD matches your LH picture and the Kernow the RH.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/23131/10321-Lenz-21-pin-Silver-Loco-Decoder

I would assume the decoder with CV7=99 and CV128=14 is the latest Silver21+ decoder, and the one with CV128=2 is the older, non + version. The first release of firmware for the + version was 6. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

Your RH decoder is a current Lenz Silver21+ decoder. Here's a picture of one of mine in a Kernow Thumper. Sorry it's slightly out of focus. 

Seems MRD are using an old picture. 

20191202_163300.jpg.d2313812a32d2520f2f55b4e4fa3578e.jpg

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

When checking function mapping options via the Lenz manual for the 21pin Silver+ both CV7 and CV8 are shown as 99

That is correct but I think it confused us both! Your older Lenz should have CV8=99 and CV7=82 and not CV7=79 as in the Lenz listing I originally posted. Its firmware level of 2 shown by CV128 is the latest version for that decoder. The new Standard+ 8-pin decoder was assigned CV7=77, but a serious problem with the firmware arose and this was quickly updated. CV7 became 79 thereafter, as my two decoders display so I assume 79 was not unused at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1