APT P Power car test train

I would suggest better to modify the coupling of the barrier vehicles to match the APT.  I expect that in real life the barrier vehicles would only be coupled to the power car or each other, so coupling compatibility of that end of the barrier vehicles does not have to match anything else on your layout.

I have a feeling that other rolling stock besides the Hornby APT use that coupling, Pacers I think do and possibly others so that spares are not too difficult to obtain.

Edited by Titan
  • Agree 3

Hi Mr Spider,

Interesting project you are having a go at here.

There were various combinations of test train some as the photos you have posted with just the one ATP power car and some with two APT power cars. In BR Fleet Survey No, 5 there is a photograph of of one of the HST power cars, Test Coach 9 and the TBF from set 370 002, the diagram may be found below:

http://www.traintesting.com/APT-P_trailer_test_train.htm

There are photos of class' 31. 40 ad 47 providing traction also.

Happy hunting,

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

Genesis kits used to produce a pair of pewter cabs which marry easily to an early Hornby Hst body ( bein correct as it has the rear driving cab), although the bogies were awful, and Lima’s more accurate.... the only downside for you is that I think the chap who ran genesis kits retired , someone on the forum may know the current state of play... and of course i might be wrong and apologies if so.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I discovered this thread whilst searching t`internet for detail photographs of RTC Test Car 5 as I am building a model of the APT power car test train and was wondering letterspider if you finished yours. I would love to see photos of the finished model.

Geoff

Sounds like a good plan, these test trains are a good subject to model being short and having a splash of colour to break up the monotony of the ubiquitous blue and grey. I am modelling the APT power car test train comprising :-

Prototype HST power car (Hornby Railroad with plain wheelsets and the Genesis pewter cab)

Test Service Car No8 (Bachmann Mk1 RFO with cut and shut sides)

Hornby APT power car 1980 model (motor removed and Sommerfeldt pantograph fitted)

Test Car 5 (Hornby Railroad Mk1 BSK)

I get easily distracted (inspired?) by other projects such as my TransPennine hybrid Class 123/124 set amongst others so work gets interupted then resumes months later.

Geoff

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 14:45, delticman said:

Prototype HST power car (Hornby Railroad with plain wheelsets and the Genesis pewter cab)

Shame the Genesis pewter cab is not available any more.

I wonder if Hornby might make the prototype - they have a chassis

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Peter749 said:

Shame the Genesis pewter cab is not available any more.

I wonder if Hornby might make the prototype - they have a chassis

Didn`t Rapido Trains announce that they were to produce the prototype HST and then have a change of heart? I agree Hornby could cash in by producing it, I am sure it would sell. The Genesis cabs were quite rough castings and needed a bit of fettling to get them to look presentable.

Geoff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, delticman said:

Very nice Wolf27, it certainly looks the part. I take it the prototype HST power cars are unmotored?

Geoff

For this test train, yes. Once I get the unpowered NDM, I can swap about for a powered HST powercar if need be.

• Thanks 1

In answer to your original question letterspider about adapting the coupling on the APT power car, I totally removed the original couplings from the bogies and bolted Kadee No.5 couplings directly to the body as in the photo. I don`t have any tight radius curves on my railway and there is enough lateral play on the adjoining coach bogies to give trouble free running even when the body tilts.

Geoff

Kadee.JPG

• Like 3