Where to place magnets for Inglenook layout

Attached photo shows a birds eye view  of my in progress Inglenook layout. After considering various options I have elected to fit Kadees to my stock. I obviously have to dig up bits of ballast and remove bits of sleeper to accommodate the magnets, so I want to get it right first time. I would assume they should be fitted just to the left of each set of points, is the right? 

TIA

Tony

A3CCC37B-529D-4857-9082-E58E90CAAFD2.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Tom

On Dock Street I have simply used one (Code 83) magnet - set between the rails  after a bit of experimenting - not as subtle as the below track version but I found that caused the wagons to shudder as British stock mainly has steel axles. US stock - designed for use with Kadees tend not too and the stock is longer anyway leading to fewer such issues.  I did have a few magnets dotted around but eventually settled on just the one with at least one  wagon length of straight track either side to assist reliable operation.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Don’t do what I did, fit the magnets too near the end of the sidings so it was impossible to couple up as the wagons could not be pushed  back far enough to be away from the magnets. It was a minimum space layout!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Davis said:

This is how I intend to fit the magnets, I will try and disguise them a bit, and I know I should have fitted magnets before everything else but, well, we live and learn. 

176D09BD-27A5-47CE-BE31-E3438118740A.jpeg

I don't know if you intend to do any exhibitions but I find the visible KD magnet between the rails is useful in actually explaining the delayed uncoupling etc. I put it down to "play value"...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Don’t do what I did, fit the magnets too near the end of the sidings so it was impossible to couple up as the wagons could not be pushed  back far enough to be away from the magnets. It was a minimum space layout!

Been there...done that...I find a wooden skewer is the least intrusive way of poking my rolling stock.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

I don't know if you intend to do any exhibitions but I find the visible KD magnet between the rails is useful in actually explaining the delayed uncoupling etc. I put it down to "play value"...

I doubt it, but I might just leave them visible and put it down to "failing eyesight" :-)

• Like 1

Speaking from experience I have placed the magnets on my latest layout on each of the sidings. On a previous layout I only put one magnet in relying upon the delay action on the couplings which didn't really work. Didn't make the same mistake twice.

Marc

• Informative/Useful 2