BFI S&D 1962

Some really nice footage here, something for everyone almost, goods trains, 4Fs, 7Fs, standards, panniers, 2251s even a Whickham trolly. Sorry if posted elsewhere, 1st time ive seen it.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-somerset-dorset-railway-1962-online

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

Try this archive : Vanishing Dorset

and this BTF, it is really Binegar despite the title.

Single line working

JB

Love the vanishing Dorset page, i remember Stur like that in the 1980s. 2nd link does not work for me.

Hope you are well Jack.

Paul.

Guest Jack Benson
12 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

Love the vanishing Dorset page, i remember Stur like that in the 1980s. 2nd link does not work for me.

Hope you are well Jack.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Just added the image of Binegar from my collection, the second link works perfectly.

JB

6 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi Paul,

Just added the image of Binegar from my collection, the second link works perfectly.

JB

Link works fine, must have been a problem at my end.

Great film, nice to see close up workings and safety measures. Some lovely shots of 53810 thanks for posting.

• 3 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 16:01, down the sdjr said:

Some really nice footage here, something for everyone almost, goods trains, 4Fs, 7Fs, standards, panniers, 2251s even a Whickham trolly. Sorry if posted elsewhere, 1st time ive seen it.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-somerset-dorset-railway-1962-online

I've only just spotted this one, and it's the first time I've seen this film too !

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

I've only just spotted this one, and it's the first time I've seen this film too !

Right at the beginning there's a down freight about to run through Cole hauled by a 4F, but there's a load of horse boxes in it, and I'm wondering, does anyone know where they would have been going to ?

Up to now I've only seen a single horse box (marked Calf Box) and that was at Binegar.  

Edited by Combe Martin

• RMweb Gold

Hello Combe Martin

Nice to see you writing! Hope all is well with you.

This film was played as part of my Nice Cup of Tea with... series that I used to run weekly on the'old' MREmag (under Phil Parker). I have attached the notes that I sent with the film (with thanks again to Nick Stanbury, Peter Smith and John Lewis).

Brian

Time for a Nice Cup of Tea on the S&D.pdf

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

Right at the beginning there's a down freight about to run through Cole hauled by a 4F, but there's a load of horse boxes in it, and I'm wondering, does anyone know where they would have been going to ?

Wincanton race course?

(I should mention that I know nothing at all about horse racing so that might well be completely implausible)

3 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Wincanton race course?

(I should mention that I know nothing at all about horse racing so that might well be completely implausible)

I thought they might have used them for prize Bulls to keep them separated, huge cattle market at Sturminster Newton in those days.

Amazing footage. Always good to see unseen material. Shame nothing on Wincanton but that’s being picky. So glad people took the time to document what was then an everyday occurrence. Cine film wasn’t cheap either . Have a few photos of Wincanton area my father took, some of which appeared in Alan Hammond’s books, which I will scan and post on this site when I have time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2020 at 17:46, S&DJR Brian said:

Amazing footage. Always good to see unseen material. Shame nothing on Wincanton but that’s being picky. So glad people took the time to document what was then an everyday occurrence. Cine film wasn’t cheap either . Have a few photos of Wincanton area my father took, some of which appeared in Alan Hammond’s books, which I will scan and post on this site when I have time.

There is a film on youtube called The s&d and how we filmed it that has a small section on Wincanton. Not much though.

• Thanks 1