GWR model railcar 34 expresses parcels livery

I have just recently brought a Lima GWR railcar express parcels number 34 railcar in dark green livery and dark grey roof with lettering lining and numbering in gold can anyone please tell me if GWR number 34 ever saw service in this livery colour and if it did when and where and what line did it run on ? I cannot find any reference anywhere on the internet about number 34 seeing service in this colour or any reference of Lima making a model in this colour - they are either all coffee and cream or red in colour !!  From what I can tell the model has not been repainted or re-numbered And does not seem to be a kit built model it seems to be the original Lima body and chassis ? 

CB587F5F-5733-4802-88A4-897EDD28A0EB.jpeg

1CB468E5-E298-49D3-AD2C-6658E73C439B.jpeg

Edited by Madmart2908

• RMweb Gold

It's certainly got some sort of odd provenance.  It's carrying GWR style numbers and lettering, so should be in choc/cream GWR livery.  No.34 was built in 1941 with GWR 'monogram' livery,  and repainted by BR in plain crimson with the standard BR Gill Sans numbers and lettering as W 34 W.  It was withdrawn in 1960, but AFAIK never carried the green dmu livery that was being applied to such stock by then, though some passenger railcars did.  

Somebody has done this to the model for purposes of their own, and it does not represent any livery that no.34 ever carried.  It almost looks as if the paint has been applied by spraying over what must have been choc/ cream livery and the numbers and lettering are showing through, but I'd expect the upper panels to look lighter if this was the case.

Depending on your period, it needs to be repainted in choc/cream 'monogram' livery with GW type numbers and lettering, or BR plain crimson with Gill Sans numbering and lettering as described above.

• Agree 1

Hi all,

You can see some of the cream colour where it has worn round the windows. What colour do you want to paint it. Lima did a version in all over BR green  for the passenger version as well and I believe  just the C/C and red for the parcels. I cannot find a green version of the parcels. Depending on what you want it may just be easier to buy a good second hand body for it

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

You can see some of the cream colour where it has worn round the windows. What colour do you want to paint it. Lima did a version in all over BR green  for the passenger version as well and I believe  just the C/C and red for the parcels. I cannot find a green version of the parcels. Depending on what you want it may just be easier to buy a good second hand body for it

Yep. I think it's either faded due to storage or had the cream paint removed physically. More likely the latter.

Looks brown to me and any green ones would have BR style lettering anyway.

Here's a normal DRC for comparison.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/503340/lima_l205132_po53_gwr_diesel_railcar_no_22_in_brown_cream_pre_owned_scratch_marks_on_body_impe/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• RMweb Premium

The original paint on these is extremely soft.

I have a Lima No.22 and IPA will remove the paint.

How do I know?

By being Clumsy, I spilt some on it and tried to gently remove it and the paint came off as well!

Edited by melmerby

No I’m positive that it as not been repainted or resprayed - that was my first thought that it had been repainted -  I have tired to scratch abit of of the paint work to see if it had been repainted - no it hasn’t been - the gold lettering is also embossed into the body work and slightly raised .  The paint work on the inner frames of the windows is also gold not cream. I’m wondering if it was a pre - sale mass production model that was never factory paint  experiment model but received the painted gold lettering and numbering and some how escaped the factory into a collectors hands   ? 

Edited by Madmart2908

On 05/12/2019 at 12:00, melmerby said:

The original paint on these is extremely soft.

I have a Lima No.22 and IPA will remove the paint.

How do I know?

By being Clumsy, I spilt some on it and tried to gently remove it and the paint came off as well!

Possibly but I would have thought that my model would show some sort of signs that this is what may have happened but all the gold lettering and numbering / linings show no signs of breakage or missing areas which I thought would be the case if IPA had been split on it and signs of the original colour would be evident with in the number 34 area and the small GWR badge on the front panel of the locomotive - there’s not - unless some one went to very very great painsteaking trouble to remove it which would have been difficult with how small the numbering and GWR badge details are  ?!  

51 minutes ago, Madmart2908 said:

No I’m positive that it as not been repainted or resprayed - that was my first thought that it had been repainted -  I have tired to scratch abit of of the paint work to see if it had been repainted - no it hasn’t been - the gold lettering is also embossed into the body work and slightly raised .  The paint work on the inner frames of the windows is also gold not cream. I’m wondering if it was a pre - sale mass production model that was never factory paint  experiment model but received the painted gold lettering and numbering and some how escaped the factory into a collectors hands   ? 

Why are you so positive? 

The gold around the windows, and apparent over painting of it on the right hand windscreen tend to suggest it's after market. As others have told you, there is no evidence of the prototype being anything than choc/cream or BR red. In my 40 years of collecting Lima models I nor anyone else I've met has heard of a factory made model in this scheme.

I would certainly be very interested in seeing evidence of it being so.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The paint doesn't even look good enough to be a factory finish, prototype or otherwise.

The lettering certainly isn't as crisp and well defined as it should be for an original.

IMHO it's definitely a repaint into a ficticious livery using a GWR model as a basis.

I’ve taken the model into a model train museum today who have taken the model apart and examined it - it would seem that it is a unpainted factory model test model that got made when testing factory mould machine spray machines etc   ( it’s a unissued model ) testing model that has some how got out of the factory and into public circulation possibility via a former factory worker - they believe 

I’ve taken the model into a model train museum today who have taken the model apart and examined it - it would seem that it is a unpainted factory model test model that got made when testing factory mould machine spray machines etc   ( it’s a unissued model ) testing model that has some how got out of the factory and into public circulation possibility via a former factory worker - they believe - factory second reject it would have been classified as  - it’s sort of rare in a way because of the fact that it made its way out of the factory and into some one’s collection / and  circulation 

The model carries no serial number on its body work anyway just the wording Lima Italy -  production / sale models should carry a serial number embedded  / embossed in the body work some where with one of the above serial numbers listed above ( in one of the images of model numbers  ) to clarify which model and colour it’s meant to be  I’ve been told 

• Like 1

Another thing to note about this model - it is modded - it has a sprung coupling hook - it can be seen in a couple of views, Lima didn't do such things on any of their models.

image.png.97ddfd689495e13177d2386712c757f7.pngimage.png.fa686dd9f627811e8662b2084913d9a9.png

There is also the bleed of yellow colour around that window - if it had been simply sprayed green in the factory why did they miss that bit.

I don't think this is a model straight out of a factory but one that someone has bought and made alterations to.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Madmart2908 said:

The model carries no serial number on its body work anyway just the wording Lima Italy -  production / sale models should carry a serial number embedded  / embossed in the body work some where with one of the above serial numbers listed above ( in one of the images of model numbers  ) to clarify which model and colour it’s meant to be  I’ve been told 

I can shoot this one out of the water as well.

My genuine, bought new by me, Lima L205132MWG GWR No.22 passenger DRC has absolutely no markings inside the body shell. (Not even "LIMA ITALY")

The chassis does however have the makers name and country on it but no model number, the only identification of which model it is, is on the box end flap.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I think you're porbably on the mark there, Lofty.  I'd say this is a standard Lima or possibly even later Hornby model that has had an 'interesting' life, being retrofitted with scale coupling hooks and losing some buffers along with the glazing; goodness only knows what happened to the chassis!  It's probably been badly painted and somebody's tried to strip the paint leaving the current very odd finish and the lining and lettering still showing.  This is (sorry Madart) much more likely than it being a pre-production or QC failure model with a one off livery.  It's definitely had a rough life, with one of the surviving buffers being badly bent.

• Agree 1