LIMA CLASS 31 WIRING HELP REQD

RBC

Bought a nice secondhand Lima Class 31 for decent money but it wouldn't run.

Body taken off and I discovered two long black wires were adrift.

One I sussed out was for the clip that that goes onto the trailing bogie rod, soldered it on and the loco ran. 

The other ???? Since it was long I thought it may also go to the trailing bogie but where ???

Theres a hole on the chassis frame and thought it may go down there to the bogie but can't see where it would connect to.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by RBC

If it doesn't have extra trailing bogie contacts it might have a replacement trailing bogie without the wiper contacts which I understand some had. 

If it runs without problems tie the wire in a loop and tape up the bare end and forget it.   It might not manage to get from one controller to another which was the reason for extra contacts but if you don't need this feature why bother  changing anything? 

David,

Thanks for that.

Certainly on the trailing bogie no contacts visible for soldering a wire onto.

I'll take the bottom of the bogie off and check if there are any additional contacts.

I'll also see how it performs from one controller to another.

Thanks

Loco worked fine even on a nice slow speed.

Should get better once wheels are cleaned and a light oil.

Additional wire tied clear and secured.

All sorted, thanks for the info.

Edited by RBC

• RMweb Premium

IIRC originally all Lima diesels (except the Class 20), picked up on one side on the motor bogie. The other side was picked up from the dummy bogie wheels, via the long pin, which was sprung to a copper spring which rubbed on the axles.

Later models had an extra black wire for the opposite side of the dummy bogie - exactly how it so I can't remember. But effectively the locos now picked up from 4 wheels on one side & two on the other!

Sort of reminds me of a C0-B0.

Continuity check from the trailing bogie axle frame to either side wheels. Chances are one side picks up through the axles to the frame where the spare wire attaches, usually a spade connector pushing into a slot. Ditto in reverse at the motor bogie end.