Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Looks nice, you must have had a steady had to get it that straight! I'm a little puzzled though by the purpose of the crank in the '6 foot' at the RH end, which - even with rodding attached at the siding end - would seem to serve no purpose?

Unfortunately I dint put the crank in the correct place on the other side so needed something there to set it off to line up with the tie bar but as I have no photos of that turnout I am unsure what to do. I my fit another crank or alter it. I can do that in the next few days before ballast in that area.

• Like 1

Yes, it's an elusive location in photographs :-(

Might I suggest...'flip' the crank in the Down cess so that it points towards Chelfham rather than Lynton, if you see what I mean, and then I think you could take the rod from the arm nearest the track straight across to the point in the sidings without any need for any other intervening cranks. It may not be what the prototype actually did, but at least IMHO it would look right.

Mind you, I don't see any compensators in the runs anywhere....

Edited by RailWest

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Yes, it's an elusive location in photographs :-(

Might I suggest...'flip' the crank in the Down cess so that it points towards Chelfham rather than Lynton, if you see what I mean, and then I think you could take the rod from the arm nearest the track straight across to the point in the sidings without any need for any other intervening cranks. It may not be what the prototype actually did, but at least IMHO it would look right.

Mind you, I don't see any compensators in the runs anywhere....

I will look at that but just depends if a sleeper is in the way -EDIT, yes that should work.

From photos that I have seen there is just one compensator and thats on the run to the Lynton end loop turnout that has been modelled.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

There was certainly one compensator in the rod nearer to the Up loop visible in photos, roughly in line with the water-column on the Up platform. My guess would be therefore that was the rod for the facing point nearer to the SB, meaning that the other rod was for the point in the sidings - which seems to be what you have already.

The 'dog leg' in the rodding by the crossover may have served to compensate that latter rod. However there might have been another one somewhere in the rod connecting the two ends of the crossover.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Thanks Paul.

It is very close to scale. At one point the passing loop was too long but after rechecking measurements is now about the right length.

I’d love to do my modules scale length but then I’d only fit one up at home! It also allows me to cheat on buildings etc which would look fine until put alongside yours :) 

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - point rodding and ballasting completed but signals still being worked on
  • RMweb Gold

Currently the signals are being worked on. The last two have just had the lamps fitted after drilling out to take a prewired SMLED with the wires fed down the lattice posts.

Also the ladders have been soldered together. Each rung is a separate piece of brass wire so they are quite laborious to do but at least the last one now just requires the ends filing then cutting to length. The remaining section will hopefully fit onto the water tower.

The decals produced by Custom Model Decals for the two cranes have arrived. One has been made up for many years but the second one is still in the Backwoods box. Now the question is what colour were these cranes. I have tried colorizing a photo but it doesn't come out clearly as to whether they were brown or grey.

20210219_160153-picsay.jpg

20210219_141909-picsay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

After various comments elsewhere I have now built a longer surfboard. It will be a timber colour based on photos from the 1930's.

Also the crane has had a coat of light grey before fixing the decals of.

The coach is the one that had a few compartments converted to first class. This alteration was carried out by a fellow modelling but has just received a few more upgrades including the cantrail being painted to match the bodywork.

20210222_150919-picsay.jpg

20210222_144000-picsay.jpg

20210222_151223-picsay.jpg

• Like 10

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - Coaches, cranes and surfboards again
  • RMweb Gold

All third coach has had its roof resprayed an off white, a lighter shade than the other coaches to represent one that had the white lead paint reapplied not too long ago. It's quite noticeable in sone old photos how much the coach roofs varied in one train with some even quite abviously patched. I hope to represent some like that.

I am having trouble sourcing the correct smoking and no smoking window stickers as in 1930 they weren't the red or green type that are available. Maybe I am not looking in the right place.

EDIT- that coach roof is far more weathered than the photo shows it.

20210228_163109-picsay.jpg.de41fd8978814a2798ba737f29b9aca7.jpg

Meanwhile the Austin 7 is having a bit of a breakdown.

20210228_152145-picsay.jpg.59c38417a4324bef9b74ecebbf19ade7.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Today the crane is a little bit closer to completion. All decals are now on and the hook and chain fitted. Just the ropes to support the jib are remaining.

20210301_174247-picsay.jpg.2acc3279b82b620c714716846358fd53.jpg

Also the last wagon required to complete the full roster on the line has been started. It's a Langley kit but I will use Chivers  bogies that I have had in the 009 box for many years.

20210301_174123-picsay.jpg.3e8e5a3484817b2940879ed5a20155af.jpg

Lastly the long board has been painted.

20210301_174156-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

A couple more coaches ha e had the roofs painted. He off white one is fresh out of the works at Pilton but the other ones roof has faded as per the prototypes as the white lead paint used on the roof faded to grey fairly quickly. This can be seen in some of the photos of the trains in various books.

20210303_155832-picsay.jpg

• Like 8

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - Cranes flat cars & Coaches
  • RMweb Gold

The second crane is now complete apart from a bit of weathering along with the crane built many years ago.

20210307_163643-picsay.jpg.52b9675d34abe183d8691234f230a767.jpg

Also the flat car is now sitting on its bogies and awaiting the stakes to be added before entering the the paint booth.

20210307_144943-picsay.jpg.c565182cbbe27b4f8ebee9fd3a3ed4cf.jpg

Also its about time that I completed this Chris Leigh coach kit bought many years ago partially assembled then attacked by me before being put back in the box about 20 years ago.

20210307_155007-picsay.jpg.7c69ec1df6b7e534691addca144c3c51.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The two cranes have now been weathered and are complete. Also the timber decking on the two flat cars have also been weathered. The last one is awaiting arrival of suitable brass section to add the stakes.

They are all getting a run behind 671 on the High Line. The coach is a Golden Arrow kit built some years ago but still requires decals.

20210311_110338-picsay.jpg

20210311_110344-picsay.jpg

20210311_111505-picsay.jpg

20210311_154041-picsay.jpg

• Like 8

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - LED there be light - behind the signals
  • RMweb Gold

A package arrived from Eileen's Emporium this afternoon.

The square brass section was immediately put to use on the two flat wagons. The Langley kit includes thin etched stakes so this brass section provides much better looking and stronger stakes when soldered to the underframe.  I noticed that the stakes were in a different location on the two wagons according to the plans in the Measured and Drawn book. Sods law the completed wagon required changing. Luckily the decals survived the soldering iron heat.

Once painted and the second flat car is fitted with decals I will have all the non passenger wagons that were on the line.

I still require a number of coaches to build though.

20210318_165741-picsay.jpg

• Like 7

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - Different stakes on the two flat wagons
  • RMweb Gold

The two flat wagons now have decals fixed. Even these are different on the two wagons. Just a matt coat required.

20210321_122933-picsay.jpg.6697e653cd8ad13280121e4fcaa99f80.jpg

All signals now have the coloured lenses. Next they will require installing on the layout and linking up to servos.

20210321_150215-picsay.jpg.6108ce84e19fd78abf7273d2525d1d20.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, RailWest said:

The signals look very nice - but I do hope that, when installed, the weight levers do actually have weights :-)

They will do but just trying to work out best way to do them as none on the signal etches. They might just be a slither of styrene rod.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The first bit of work on the layout for a couple of months has seen me add the counter balance weights to the signals. These have been formed by drilling into sections of Styrene rod which have then been cut to size before being fixed to the levers.

Once dry they will be painted black.

The only other item worked on has been another Heljan Manning and Wardle. My other half wanted tge BR black LYD and as it was a good price I relented and let her get one:D

It's a back up incase one of the correct livery ones fails.

20210601_161617-picsay.jpg

20210527_151803-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple Railway
  • RMweb Premium

I've just read thorough the entire thread, some excellent, interesting and inspiring work.  We've not long returned from another visit to north Somerset and Devon. As usual we dropped in to Woody Bay, this time also a visit to Chelfam.

I've reached a stage where my main project is moving along well and I would like something different to pick up when I fancy a change. It seems that a small L & B based project would fit the bill in many ways. I'd really like to try 7mm but there isn't the space available, so 009 it would likely be... My question is about the Heljan Manning Wardles. I've read that they can be troublesome and as you seem to have 'the fleet' I was wondering about  your experiences.

Rails have 'Lew' on offer at the moment and I'm very tempted as a toe in the water. However, I don't want to step into quicksand! I've had enough bother rebuilding another manufacturers products in order to make them work properly and I don't want to repeat the experience!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

My question is about the Heljan Manning Wardles. I've read that they can be troublesome and as you seem to have 'the fleet' I was wondering about  your experiences.

The second and third batch seem to have solved the valve gear issue but you may still get issues with the pony trucks. 

This list is a compilation of Ian’s and my fixes. They don’t take long and can be done with files and a minidrill. 

1. Inside of outside frames gently ground out with mini sanding drum in a dremel to increase pony swing, done very carefully or the plastic melts. This stops the frames pushing the wheel over on 12” points. 

2. Pony wheels axle ground back 0.2mm so the wheels are 10.3mm over the outside faces this gives a BtoB of 7.3mm

3. Flanges on pony wheels spun on the lathe, (a drill will do), to take off the sharp edge.

4. Pony side springs opened out so they only make contact just before maximum swing. 

5. Pony pickups flattened so all weight is on the main drivers. 

6. ‘liquid lead’, or small strip, glued to pony truck to increase weight. 

7. top bar of cow catcher removed to allow pony to drop more on changes of gradient.

8. Slack off pony truck screws to allow more movement, truck boss may benefit from being reamed out slightly to allow tilt.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1