Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Gordon.

Yes , I am pleased with progress at present. Its great to have space to leave the layout set up.

The backscene is now on the whole layout so hope to start the scenery very soon.

I have fitted the two magnets that I had in my 009 box but now require to order more and fit below the sleepers before I can start ballasting.

20200121_100032.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Further progress on the layout. the backscene has now been primed and the scenery formation is now underway with the road base installed.

Its handy having the large screen to display photos for modelling purposes!

20200122_110948.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2020 at 15:43, RailWest said:

Why not get rid of the backscene and just have a really wide display screen ? :D:D

I did have a conversation with a friend recently that perhaps we could do the whole layout in black and white as there are no colour photos of the hotel that I am aware of and it needs to be put on the back scene. The big downside would mean repainting the coaches and locos, the lining being the harder bit.

There has been some track alteration this morning. The loop had been longer than it should be mainly due to the turnout at the Lynton end should have been close t the baseboard joint hence I moved it to the next board. However after positioning the station approach road and adding the platform / station building  base I worked out that the turnout could be moved closer to the correct position so the track was lifted, repositioned rewired and all working again. Took about two hours to do so was worth it.

Loco 761 ran fine for a few hours afterwards.

More scenic forming has been carried out with offcuts from insulating the shed when it was constructed last year. Once it has set in place I hope to carve it closer to the correct shape then start covering in filler. 

Work will resume on the building very soon.

20200123_190309.jpg

20200123_190152.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2020 at 15:43, RailWest said:

Why not get rid of the backscene and just have a really wide display screen ? :D:D

It's been done, with a much smaller layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning the foam formation was covered with Modroc. Once dry it will then get a layer of coloured filler to smooth it out.

Attention has now turned back to the buildings with the tiny signal cabin finished and is now ready for painting and a start made on the gents toilet. What I am not sure about is whether it was open to the elements or did it have a flat roof. I do know that the gents toilet has just been refurbished at Woody Bay so will get in touch with the L & B railway which I am a member of.

20200126_191611.jpg

20200126_201126.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Is it worth making a mould of the signal hut before you finish it as Paul Levy’s resin kits for the L&B are popular and that’s one he doesn’t do ;) 

I might give it a try but the roof is likley to be the difficult bit being so thin.

• RMweb Gold

Could you thicken it slightly away from the edge so there’s more room for it to flow without losing too much from the top of the wall?

Even casting the main body and supplying the roof as two flat castings or just squares of Wills sheet for a kit. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Could you thicken it slightly away from the edge so there’s more room for it to flow without losing too much from the top of the wall?

Even casting the main body and supplying the roof as two flat castings or just squares of Wills sheet for a kit. 

I have ordered the mould material so will see how I get on.

• RMweb Gold

This evening I finally decided to install the EDM models sound decoder into LEW.

It's a tight fit hence needed to be in the right frame of mind to do this. All fits and working along with the multiple parts to the stay alive. I have yet to grind down the underside of the loco body but that should be OK.

Just another four locos to do once I can afford the sound decoders.

20200131_192439.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have now started painting the scenic formation as a base colour for the static grass etc and also next to the tracks ready for the ballasting to commence in the next few days.

Also the chimneys to the station are now underway.

Hoping to give LEW a good run later. It will be noisy the shed!

20200202_131239.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Paul - I have ordered a second sound decoder form EDM which will probably go in TAW as that has run faultlessly for hours on the layout

A bit more work has been carried to the station this evening with two of the chimney tops now completed but the chimney pots are going to be fiddly to make. The third smaller chimney is different to the others so the top of that is yet to be done. Also the guttering has been fitted. The upper roof didn't have any, just draining onto the lower roof areas. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to undercoat the stone walls.

Another potential invite for a show next year but will await the details prior to posting.

20200204_203302.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Today the 3D printed chimney pots and the finials, all supplied by Narrow Planet arrived and were fitted this evening. The pots are spot on for two on each of the larger chimneys, the third pot is a Wills Finecast and the odd looking one on the smaller chimney is scratch built from styrene. The finials are delicate and I have already broken two on the stables so these will not be replaced till the building is further advanced. I have four spare at present but will get another packet just in case.

The road bridge is now nearing completion just requiring a bit more weathering and a few more stones picked out in different shades of grey / brown.

The point rodding between the two platform tracks will be the Modelu 3D printed LSWR type rollers with brass wire for the rodding.

I can now confirm that the layouts first show will be Woking in early September this year. So, seven months to complete the layout should be fine (fingers crossed).

20200212_200241.jpg

20200212_200234.jpg

20200212_200302.jpg

20200212_165442.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon I spent some time working on the gents toilets. 

As the one at Blackmoor was demolished when the building was extended after closure I have used photos of the one that still exists at Woody Bay station very kindly posted on the L & B Facebook group. It appears to be of similar design if not identical to that at Blackmoor therefore, I have used these to model the interior. It looks very similar to numerous other Victorian station gents so I suspect that it hasn't changed much since the 1930's. Once the first coat of paint is dry I shall pick out the alternate tiles in black and paint the urinals black.

The blockwork screen wall has now been fabricated and will be painted grey in due course. one issue that I have with the signal cabin is that I am not sure if it should have windows in both side elevations as the few phots that I have seen you cannot see through the window on right hand side but that could just be the lower quality of photos back then. The plans that I have also aren't clear on this. However the signal cabin that exists at Woody Bay does have two windows.

20200216_192230.jpg

20200216_192243.jpg

20200216_195300.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

>>>one issue that I have with the signal cabin is that I am not sure if it should have windows in both side elevations .....

Yes, it did. Quite by chance I had sight last week of a photo taken of what is believed to have been the same cabin years later when it was being used as a farmer's hut (or something similar) further along the track-bed.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RailWest said:

>>>one issue that I have with the signal cabin is that I am not sure if it should have windows in both side elevations .....

Yes, it did. Quite by chance I had sight last week of a photo taken of what is believed to have been the same cabin years later when it was being used as a farmer's hut (or something similar) further along the track-bed.

Thankyou for that. I will cut another window in it. Wont be as neat as building it before assembly of the cabin.

I wonder if it still exist but looking at the rot in the one at Woody Bay despite being looked after in recent years, I very much doubt it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2020 at 13:14, RailWest said:

>>>>I wonder if it still exist...

I don't think so now. Even in the photo the entrance had been widened by removing the section of front wall to the left of the door, and of course it was standing directly on the ground.

I would also be surprised. These little boxes were raised and put on a concrete plinth due to them starting to rot not many years after they were built.

Today I went through all my L & B Society magazines and came across a photo showing windows in both elevations.  I have now cut out the opening ready to put the glazing in. After that other tasks were more important such a some work etc.

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update. The mortar on the station building including the gents and block screen walls has been added. next will be to pick out some of the stones to vary the shade.

The next task will then be to finish the upper story barge boards

20200218_204115.jpg

20200217_161932.jpg

20200217_161905.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The mould of the signal cabin appears to have worked even getting the signal csnin out of it went OK but that might he a different matter with the resin but we shall see once the resin arrives.

1582191872-picsay.jpg.4cba5ca7b0bd2615d4bf1e323c8df16d.jpg

Also the eaves detail on the station building is under way. Once dry the rafter ends will be filed down to correct profile. Fiddly but worth it.

1582192104-picsay.jpg.152b199e330298cc8dc637334484ca67.jpg

• Like 5