Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Today after discussion with a long time friend Modeller and engineer I decided to do the bracing and walkway to the top of the water tank. I am not aware of any photos showing the details of the real water tank so its based on what it might have looked like.

20200429_115747.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 22/03/2020 at 21:26, roundhouse said:

Today I finally managed to produce the water tank sides.

The lettering should be raised but using the Silhouette cutter to score the styrene is has given it a raised effect. So once painted it should look as if its raised.

20200322_195618.jpg

Don't know why I missed this part ?

I'm intrigued about the raised letters on the tank which seem to have worked in the cutter.

Can you remember what thickness sheet you used and the blade / settings to achieve this, could be very useful for future reference.

Very much enjoying your thread too !

Grahame

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, bgman said:

Don't know why I missed this part ?

I'm intrigued about the raised letters on the tank which seem to have worked in the cutter.

Can you remember what thickness sheet you used and the blade / settings to achieve this, could be very useful for future reference.

Very much enjoying your thread too !

Grahame

Grahame

Cheers

Its 0.25mm styrene with cutter set to ' 4' if I recall. it should be raised lettering but is just cut to get as close a representation as I could. Silhouette do a separate embossing machine but a rather lavish outlay for just this. This thin sheet is then fixed to a thicker styrene sheet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Grahame

Cheers

Its 0.25mm styrene with cutter set to ' 4' if I recall. it should be raised lettering but is just cut to get as close a representation as I could. Silhouette do a separate embossing machine but a rather lavish outlay for just this. This thin sheet is then fixed to a thicker styrene sheet.

Thank you much appreciated, i'll have a play sometime.

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The latest progress in the last few days is the completion of the coal store. I now just have to add the down pipes to the stables and paint the them and the gutter then its ready to be fixed onto the layout.

20200503_123454.jpg.6c293c51bb2ab7cc8a9aef2255dd7123.jpg

A backscene that appears to be as close to the scene in the 30's has been ordered from ID backscenes although its not really Devon, it will be close enough once a few trees have been added.

i must set the layout up again to do the platform surface and add the point rodding before completing the ballasting.

Plenty still to do but the better weather has seen me working on the garden railway and the G scale LYN has been having a run for the first time this year.

20200502_193857.jpg.6d294400c7e0f4c9b27fc1fb4c825805.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Despite both shows this year that the layout was booked to attend having now been cancelled, work continues albiet a bit slower now that the next show invite (so far)  is October 2021.

So, today as it was very chilly outside to do much in the garden, I decided to start picking out the roof tiles on the stables and the station building with different shades. It doesnt show up too well in the photos but looks a little overdone in the flesh so once more shades have been added a little more weathering will be addeed to the roof.

Also the guttering has now been painted so the next stage will be to add the downpipes.

Also the backscene arrived in the post today so there is another task that can now be completed in the coming days.

20200511_192044.jpg

20200511_192054.jpg

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

It doesnt show up too well in the photos but looks a little overdone

Looks very good even if it doesn't show in you photographs matey, just a thought, do you ever use a light wash to bring the colours together once they have been individually applied ? It can sometimes give the effect you're after.

G

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bgman said:

Looks very good even if it doesn't show in you photographs matey, just a thought, do you ever use a light wash to bring the colours together once they have been individually applied ? It can sometimes give the effect you're after.

G

Yes I do. The stonework has had this applied to it in a couple of stages. The roof has had a light pass with the airbrsuh already and itwill get another once the roof tiles have been picked out.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/01/2020 at 19:31, roundhouse said:

This evening I finally decided to install the EDM models sound decoder into LEW.

It's a tight fit hence needed to be in the right frame of mind to do this. All fits and working along with the multiple parts to the stay alive. I have yet to grind down the underside of the loco body but that should be OK.

Just another four locos to do once I can afford the sound decoders.

20200131_192439.jpg

Do you have a thread anywhere covering the sound installation in these locomotives?..

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Do you have a thread anywhere covering the sound installation in these locomotives?..

Best

Scott.

Scott

No I dont but do have a second sound decoder to install since then, so I may do a thread for it or post it here when i get around to doing it.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Scott

No I dont but do have a second sound decoder to install since then, so I may do a thread for it or post it here when i get around to doing it.

Thank you, that would be most appreciated. I've had a look at the EDM website, and it doesn't look an easy conversion, so any guidance would be fantastic... It fills me with...trepidation.

Best

Scott.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Thank you, that would be most appreciated. I've had a look at the EDM website, and it doesn't look an easy conversion, so any guidance would be fantastic... It fills me with...trepidation.

Best

Scott.

I have followed closely to their method  and it isn't an easy installation. The biggest issue is being careful not to break the delicate valve gear when handling the loco plus when filing inside the body there is risk of filling through it and I guess thats why he doesnt offer an installation service.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep, Paul came close to abandoning the project as it was so difficult. I’m very glad the orders came in to make it worth his while after all the effort. 
Mine are still with Paul as I supplied one locos from each production for development help and the illness mentioned on his blog has stalled things while he recovers. No doubt the business side of things will need to take priority for a while too As I had no shows this year for the 009 and now the virus has stalled everything else it really doesn’t matter much. I might have got round to sorting out my Piltonesque shed’s problem by then. 
Still it’ll hopefully keep me occupied over the winter installing them in the fleet! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info both.  Having looked at PaulRHBs modular system ideas, I've bitten the bullet and ordered some of his endplates and a sound fitted Bachman Baldwin.  I'm not going sound for my N gauge layout, but this project will just be 2 or 3 locos, so I'd like to utilise it here.  Whilst not an OCD sufferer, it would jar having some sound fitted and some not so it really is all or nothing, and since I've already ordered the Baldwin I'm holding off on getting an L&B machine.

Anyway, apologies for moving the thread on a bit of a tangent.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1

scottystitch,

If you can find a copy of the February 2020 edition of the Hornby Magazine there is a write up by Paul Chetter on how to fit sound to the Heljan L&B 2-6-2T

Roundhouse,

Apologies for taking your thread off topic again.

Br,

Gordon_D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes I also borrowed that magazine and its very similar to EDM's method. as an aside point, you do have to watch the motor / pick up wires as I think that Heljan may have done some with the wire colours the other way round so it runs in reverse even when just plugging in a 6 pin decoder. easy to just change the CV 29 value though with no working lights.

Its all relevant info as its to do with the L and B and the layout so keep them coming.

With no shows for another year my mojo has dropped but today I have been picking out more individual tile colours on the station and the stables so its not stopped completely.

I also have the backscene to fit in the near future.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work on the layout has slowed to a crawl now that all the shows it was to attend this year have been cancelled and the next one isn't till Autumn 2021.

However a few more roof tiles have been picked out in a different shade. Today I have put the outbuildings up against the main building for a photo that won't be so easy to take once they are fixed onto the boards. The bottom of the doors still require the step and weatherboard once the ground level has been set  then the doors csn be fully painted green. 

20200605_170652.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I would say working to the deadline anyway helps but as my HOn30 was supposed to be back on the bench two weeks ago and I seem to have built a Nm module instead I will reserve the idea until I have the right layout on the bench! :lol:

The station is looking super and I really shouldn’t be thinking don’t they look good to full scale size as it may mean a bigger station next ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I would say working to the deadline anyway helps but as my HOn30 was supposed to be back on the bench two weeks ago and I seem to have built a Nm module instead I will reserve the idea until I have the right layout on the bench! :lol:

The station is looking super and I really shouldn’t be thinking don’t they look good to full scale size as it may mean a bigger station next ;) 

Thanks Paul

Your Nm and the turntable came up in conversaation today with the person who makes those kits on our first meet up of the local 0n30 group since February, all socially distanced and under 6 of us in a friends back garden. He refers to anything with N as mice so Nm is micro mice!!

• RMweb Gold

Well pass on my appreciation as it’s a super kit and I’ve even added a ‘display’ switch so I can just leave a loco rotating and looking good. Almost a shame my On30 plans don’t have room for a turntable ;) 

yet . . .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well what a day for show cancellations this year. This has had a knock on effect for the layout as it's first show was Autumn 2021 but that has now been put back due to another layout put back from this year.

Anyway gives me more time to work on the stock and the layout. It will be old before it goes out!

I have been tweeking the Backwoods kit of LYN again after it was running fine then developed a short which it has suffered from since building it many years ago. I think it's the rim of one wheel that occasionally touches the outer frame, so a thin bit of styrene has been fixed and so far all well with the loco running for a few hours on the rollers. Hopefully I can now start to line it out and add the decals.

It does look rather weird on the rollers though.

20200616_183704.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A couple of trestles arrived today. This enabled me to set up just the two centre boards so that I can now do the platform surfaces over the board joint.

It's also the first time that the completed water tower has bern put on the boards.

With the shows cancelled this year the first show for the layout is now 2022 unless any come through for 2021, so it might be getting on a bit even before it's first show.

20200622_135455.jpg

20200622_141635-picsay.jpg

20200622_143307.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s looking superb Ian, especially the second shot, that’s going to look so realistic when the scenery is complete :) 

Thanks Paul.

A few more shots. I am hoping to revisit Blackmoor Gate as I found out that the lamp hut still exists after looking in the distance of one of my photos taken last year so require a closer look to get the position more accurate . Just hoping that the hotels and pubs can both open in time. Can't visit the old station without having a pint in there. My other half can do the driving from there.

20200622_152341.jpg

20200622_152321.jpg

20200622_152423-picsay.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Just a few figures that I have started to paint. Still a little way to go to finish thrm and probably too many for the platforms but some may go in the coaches. These are Langley metal figures

I had to look up colour photos for the period to get an idea how to paint them. Odd that the blokes look like they are dressed for winter but the females dressed for Summer!

20200629_174746.jpg

• Like 8