Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Blackmoor had a strange visitor the other day, 'Blackmoor Vale' appeared at the station.

The loco was out of its box for a running session on the High Line in the shed.

20200705_175512.jpg

Wrong Blackmoor. Which should be spelled Blackmore anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I finally got round to laying the platform surfaces. It's interior rack filler mixed with black paint. The tape is protecting the brick edging and will be lifted once the filler has dried and any sanding down.

Point rodding will be next so that the ballasting can be completed.

20200717_122452.jpg

20200717_122501.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little bit more work on the layout today with the point rodding stool bases going in.

I am using the  superb looking Modelu stools but being 3d printed, I am hoping that they stand up to knocks when track cleaning is carried out.

Also the doors on the station building have been fully painted and the first signal is making an appearance. It's off an old layout so still requires further modifications.

20200806_161958.jpg

20200806_162104.jpg

20200806_161936.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, RailWest said:

>>> the first signal is making an appearance. It's off an old layout so still requires further modifications.....

...like moving the lamp case to the other side -) What (scale) height is the post please?

Exactly!

I need to order the lower quadrant signal arms along with more etchings for two of the posts. One is a concrete post so that might be built out of brass.

Its just shy of 120mm to top of finial which will relate to a 30 ft post that the book Measured and Drawn indicate some of the signals were. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little bit more progress in recent days has seen the platform area by the building painted. Also the bases for the point rodding are in place and a short test length laid in place to check the height. The stools are by Modelu. The cranks are brass etchings that I have had for many years and will soon be assembled prior to fixing the rodding in place.

20200822_094033.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve just stumbled across this thread whilst searching the L&BR on google. 

I visited this this wonderful little line the other day and I’m just reading the history of it. I’m feeling very inspired to model this but must resist and watch your wonderful rendition instead!

Keep up the great work.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I have managed to complete the first run of point rodding up to the compensator. The Modelu LSWR rodding stools do look good but I think they are quite fragile so going to have to be very careful when cleaning the rails.

The walkway across to the Lynton bound platform has also been assembled ready for painting. An unusual thing is that there is a gap in the walkway for the rodding to pass through. From what I have seen in photos this was the only station on the line to have this feature and only fond it by chance when looking at a photo taken from one train of the opposite bound train going past. 

20200929_185532.jpg

20200929_185543.jpg

20200929_185627.jpg

• Like 14

All looking very good. Enjoying seeing the progress so far.

Could I ask, what colour did you use to paint your rails......despite lots of attempts I still haven't seemed to have got it right where as you seemed to have captured that warm rusty colour perfectly - exactly what I am looking for!

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2020 at 10:47, Greensman said:

Could I ask, what colour did you use to paint your rails......despite lots of attempts I still haven't seemed to have got it right where as you seemed to have captured that warm rusty colour perfectly - exactly what I am looking for!

Pete

Pete

I must have used up all of that tin as couldnt find it but I think that it is Humbrol matt 29, dark earth

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The walkway has now been painted and glued down then ballasting completed where the rodding is installed. Now awaiting the arrival of more ordering stools as I found  a pohot showing three runs going towards the Barnstaple end after only noticing two in past research.

20201005_122052.jpg.b1e5a04c97fd6d36050d86b9b3eda621.jpg

The good yard has now started to receive a coating of paint but to date I havent seen any shots of the yeard around the coal store and stables when the line was open.

20201005_122256.jpg.06ac1f7ec51c535aaa8ebddf6bebadfd.jpg

Also a further test using sieved Chinchilla dust on the end of one platform looks promising to represent the gravel areas of the platforms.

20201005_122105.jpg.36e1ec25e73f8874ea0895c59a4d85dc.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

>>>Now awaiting the arrival of more ordering stools as I found  a pohot showing three runs going towards the Barnstaple end after only noticing two in past research.......

The run starting from the SB towards the Barnstaple end was only 2 rods.

The section with 3 rods existed only for the rodding for the siding + trap on the Down side (worked by its own GF), which IIRC you were omitting from your model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RailWest said:

>>>Now awaiting the arrival of more ordering stools as I found  a pohot showing three runs going towards the Barnstaple end after only noticing two in past research.......

The run starting from the SB towards the Barnstaple end was only 2 rods.

The section with 3 rods existed only for the rodding for the siding + trap on the Down side (worked by its own GF), which IIRC you were omitting from your model.

Chris

After reading your comment I have studied a few more photos and you are spot on and that saves me modifying the block of cranks after the rodding passes under the tracks from the signal box . What confuesd me  was photo for one of the L and B magazines where it looked like the turnout had been removed but its the snow covering both the turnout and siding and I only just noticed it was taken in 1922 so the siding was still in place.

Luckily I have a pack of stools suitable for 2 rods.

Thanks

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Without a lot more searching of photos (too late at night for that now!), what I am not sure about is the situation after the siding was removed, but my guess would be that the SR simply removed the redundant rodding and left the 3-way roller stools in place with one empty. Whether you want to model 'reality', or just pretend that the siding never existed at all and so there was only ever 2-way stools, is up to you.....:-)

• Like 1