Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

9 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I may add some perspex to the various electronic circuits but otherwise no as they have survived in this format on my other layouts that have done many shows over the years. Only thing that tends to get knocked are the solenoid rodsbut that doesnt normally break them.

Maybe....until one day something catches on a wiring loom during handling and rips it all off the underneath :-(  I've seen it happen...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Maybe....until one day something catches on a wiring loom during handling and rips it all off the underneath :-(  I've seen it happen...

I agree with Ian I’ve been using the same design without issue for over 30 years on multiple show layouts. The wood frame is adequate protection, mind you my ‘crew’ all use the same too and know how to handle them as a result. One of the advantages of only those you trust handling it I guess. If you start adding covers you’re adding weight and restricting access. I’ve seen a club layout damaged but they did ignore warnings and didn’t box it up, to save time and it got squashed when they didn’t fix things down in the van! ;) 

• Like 2

In the instance which I witnessed, the layout crew had handled it very carefully and stood it up next to the location for setting-up, then gone to get the next section. Meanwhile someone else came past pushing a trolley a bit too quickly, got a bit too close, and a stray projection caught on a dangling inter-baseboard jumper and ripped it all off :-(

Edited by RailWest
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple railway - Let there be hills
  • RMweb Gold

Today the layout was test loaded in to the car. All fits fine. The remaining legs go between the boards and tailgate. Stock lighting pelmet etc on top of the boards.

20210123_095441-picsay.jpg.573cf46c48183fd3aa3d5af4f6b18f12.jpg

After that the layout was set up and backscene added. The backscene is a little to hilly but it's the closest that I have found to date. The final ballasting in the goods yard headhunt was also glued in place.

The bridge was also glued into place allowing the joints in the road to be filled.

There's a few bits of backscene to be fettled once it's been in place for a few days.

The approach road surface has been worked on but more filler will be required to level the weighbridge hut.

A good day in all but plenty more to do.

20210123_160131-picsay.jpg

20210123_155127-picsay.jpg

20210123_155100-picsay.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Today the layout was test loaded in to the car.

Nicely done, it did remind me of the Talking Heads song though " Road to Nowhere ".

Some cracking work being done on the layout and it will be a pleasure to see it in action at some point in the future.

G

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bgman said:

Nicely done, it did remind me of the Talking Heads song though " Road to Nowhere ".

Some cracking work being done on the layout and it will be a pleasure to see it in action at some point in the future.

G

The plan is to model the hotel then photo it and add to the backscene along with the two roads that go past the hotel but yes that's giving me an ear worm. Might have to play that next.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple railway - Tickets please
  • RMweb Gold

Today I made a start on the ticket office and general waiting area interior after some one kindly posted photos of Woody Bay Station interior on Facebook. These were taken not long after the L and B took possession of the building so the colours may have changed since the line closed but it's the only such photos ai have seen and would be what I would have expected it to have been with dark timber walls in the waiting area and painted panels in the ticket office itself. The photos do show a drop down panel to cover the ticket window so they his has been modelled. The ticket desk area is yet to be added.

Still plenty more to do including fitting led lights.

20210124_175738-picsay.jpg

20210124_175747-picsay.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The ticket office and waiting rooms are now just about ready for painting once the styrene has dried.

The hole in the glass ticket hatch was a tricky thing to do as it's not quite the correct shape yet althoughI doubt that it will be visible through the doors and windows.

20210125_190400-picsay.jpg

20210125_190347-picsay.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The attention to detail is stunning Ian! :) 

With plenty of Lockdown time at home it gives me something to concentrate on despite a good part will be dark brown!

Luckily the ladies waiting room and ticket office appear to be much lighter colours.

20210125_193920-picsay.jpg

• Like 6

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple railway - weighbridge coal and grass today
  • RMweb Gold

Today has been another productive day on the layout.

Plenty of filler mixed with black poster paint to fill around the weigh bridge and associated hut. I have not seen any photos of this do it's all based on the plans. The station approach is quite steep but appears to be correct based on building the road over bridge to scale based on the drawings for it and photos taken roughly from where the weigh bridge once was.

20210126_155621-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Today work has continued off the layout. The station interior has had more decoration then after a few other weathering projects it was time to make a start on the concrete post signal that was on the Barnstaple bound platform. Originally it was timber but later replaced by the Southern Railway. There are drawings of a similar one at Chelfham Station. A brass hollow section has been used with solder to form the top. Still more work to do but at least it can be test fitted to the platform

20210127_105633-picsay.jpg

20210127_105646-picsay.jpg

20210127_164748-picsay.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor (Gate), Lynton & Barnstaple railway - Signal time
  • RMweb Gold

More progress on the layout today.

The signal base had been formed by drilling into the platform thrn inserting a hollow brass section for the signal post to slot in and a tube for the operating rod to pass through. There is still some point rodding to be added hence the styrene bases for the stools and ballast to be added.

20210128_121554-picsay.jpg.c51b8401a97c4a5ba07aa4929d9ae69f.jpg

The brass signal was then test fitted. The fencing on the Lynton bound platform has now been fixed in place along with the support stays. Note that the fence does not go along the whole of the platform as much of it was removed prior to 1930.

20210128_160609-picsay.jpg.9ff0dd6dc997d605ad465efa147d7633.jpg

Next task was to finish the details inside the coal store. There is now a shovel, pick axe and a wheel Barrow in there. The coal store and adjoining Stables are now glued in place.

20210128_125630-picsay.jpg.f2d9d69bdc4f7802ccafb4e1e0b12d16.jpg

And finally the road has been painted along with the weighbridge plate. Next stage will be to add bushes and static grass to this area.  I am hoping to build a model of the hotel that should be on the backscene then photograph it to thrn print out and mount where the current hills stop abruptly. The model will then sit on display above the fiddleyard.

20210128_130059-picsay.jpg.358ee51fe5f0183e68d31aeb7c45e9d4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, David Bell said:

This is really coming together well. 

Thanks David. Plenty more work to do but at least today working on the layout has made acerny into those tasks.

The platform fence has now been painted static gras and  foliage has progressed.

Also a bit lore work has been carried out on the interior.

The conesignal now has its ladder and has a primer coat.

A good running session was had between painting the fence etc but before more foliage was applied. LEW has sound so it was quite relaxing listening it run round for a couple of hours.

This evening the first of e lattice signals has been started.

20210130_153138-picsay.jpg

20210130_153055-picsay.jpg

20210130_140909-picsay.jpg

20210130_122240-picsay.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Today the second signal was test fitted to the layout and whilst working on that part I decided to add the point rodding to the Lynton end of the loop. Luckily I have a photo taken from the road bridge showing some of the linkage but unfortunately doesn't show all of it so some guess work was required.

20210201_130109-picsay.jpg.faf928032a5ad8707f48e007c5b09ae6.jpg

Also more static grass has now been added. This will be left to dry for a few days before more work is carried out on the layout. In the meantime I will continue working on the signals.

20210201_152711-picsay.jpg

20210201_153059-picsay.jpg

20210201_153046-picsay.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RailWest said:

Yes. the L&BR's economic FPL mechanism is a little 'tricky', as even the overhead shot from the bridge of the one at the north end of Blackmoor is not really clear enough to determine exactly how it worked. And don't forget the lock-bars :-)

http://www.trainweb.org/railwest/railco/minor/lb-sigintro.html#FPL

Thankyou for the link. Yes, still more to add but just dint have the right materials to hand at the time.

1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

Really lovely and inspirational modelling.  Can I ask the spacing between tracks on the passing loop?

Best

Scott.

Thanks - I cant recall but will measure when next at the layout.

• Like 1