Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

The second and third batch seem to have solved the valve gear issue but you may still get issues with the pony trucks. 

This list is a compilation of Ian’s and my fixes. They don’t take long and can be done with files and a minidrill. 

1. Inside of outside frames gently ground out with mini sanding drum in a dremel to increase pony swing, done very carefully or the plastic melts. This stops the frames pushing the wheel over on 12” points. 

2. Pony wheels axle ground back 0.2mm so the wheels are 10.3mm over the outside faces this gives a BtoB of 7.3mm

3. Flanges on pony wheels spun on the lathe, (a drill will do), to take off the sharp edge.

4. Pony side springs opened out so they only make contact just before maximum swing. 

5. Pony pickups flattened so all weight is on the main drivers. 

6. ‘liquid lead’, or small strip, glued to pony truck to increase weight. 

7. top bar of cow catcher removed to allow pony to drop more on changes of gradient.

8. Slack off pony truck screws to allow more movement, truck boss may benefit from being reamed out slightly to allow tilt.

Thank you Paul. At first it looks quite a list but basically a few tweaks to the pony trucks. If I went ahead, I'd want to be using the 18" points in any case. I've read about the valve gear issue.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Thank you Paul. At first it looks quite a list but basically a few tweaks to the pony trucks. If I went ahead, I'd want to be using the 18" points in any case. I've read about the valve gear issue.

It’s a longish list but very easy, the pickups take seconds. I’d say a minute to do most of them, you can ignore the grinding out the frames on 18” points and the only two that really take any time are smoothing the flange edges and grinding the axle simply because you do it carefully. I reckon I did the full list on the batch one models in ten mins once we’d worked out what to do. I only do the frames because I use the 12” points on my loco shed module. 

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Trevor

I dont do all of Pauls modifications as my locos only have to negotiate the Peco 009 mainline turnouts.

The models of LEW and LYD will generally run out of the box but work better if  items 4 and 5 on Pauls list are carried out. However your track does need ot be laid well and even a slight bur on adjoining flexitrack where the rail has been cut can cause them to derail.

I just file down the top bar on the cow catcher and use the metal Greenwich & District couplers but I have modified the supplied couplers for other people by removing the lifting bar and filing away the plastic underside.

I just received the BR lined black version of LYD as photo in prevoius post of mine. After the two items above were carried out it has run well on my test track till I was cleaning the wheels and forgot to check that the valve gear linkage was the correct orientation as it can go the wrong way round when holding the loco upside down. One of the small rivets popped out when I ran it. Luckily I found the rivet and glued it back in place.

The locos also tend to pick up dirt when first run but do not seem to be so bad once cleaned a few times. I think that its to do with the blackening chemicals used on the wheels.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice both. I’ve just placed an order for ‘Lew’ . It’s likely to be a ‘cabinet queen’ for a few weeks till I’ve decided exactly how to go further. I have a spare Tim Horn baseboard which will be a good start.

Less is likely to be more I think, possibly no more than a working diorama of something the size of Chelfam or maybe a fictitious branch terminus off the main L&B. I’m looking forward to modelling a different railway in a different period. I can see a use for one or two Modelu Pendon type figures as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Thanks for the advice both. I’ve just placed an order for ‘Lew’ . It’s likely to be a ‘cabinet queen’ for a few weeks till I’ve decided exactly how to go further. I have a spare Tim Horn baseboard which will be a good start.

Less is likely to be more I think, possibly no more than a working diorama of something the size of Chelfam or maybe a fictitious branch terminus off the main L&B. I’m looking forward to modelling a different railway in a different period. I can see a use for one or two Modelu Pendon type figures as well.

I have used their superb figures on the layout. I have two crew in the cab of my sound fitted Manning and Wardle but did require quite a bit of surgery to them to fit around the speaker which is in the cab.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a little bit of progress recently. The BR livery LYD has had its nameplates fitted. Upon finding a photo when it was in this livery I noticed that it didn't have white wheel trims that Heljan added. As I prefer it without the white trims I have painted them out along with painting the cow catcher brackets from red to black.
Also the black plastic motion crank is now silver. I am also doing this to the other locos.

20210615_151904-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today the Heljan LYN arrived in post.

It was soon out of the box and inspected. Assembly and paintworklooks very goid. It comes ready fitted with the couplers but the cow catchers are in a separate bag and much like the Manning and Wardle locos the cow catchers can't be fitted with the plastic couplers in place.

So after a test run to make sure all was OK, the couplers were replaced with the etched brass Greenwich and District ones minus the loop. As these are much thinner the cow catchers can be fitted without any modifications.

The loco performed faultlessly on the High Line through the turnouts and curves hauling a couple of coaches.

The only issue was that the rear pony truck pickups weren't touching the wheels but that was an easy tweek. The front pony wheels don't have any pickups.

So all in all a superb loco and a way better out the box than the Manning and Wardle locos.

It takes a thin 6 pin decoder in one of the side tanks. I have yet to get a decoder for it but fitting sound may be a bigger challenge than the Manning and Wardle locos.

20210715_154217-picsay.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Today a Zimo 6 pin decoder arrived. However even after cutting down the pins to make the decoder fit tight into the socket there isn't room in the cast weight for it to fit in the space. Luckily a quick swap with an N scale loco, a Digitrax 6 pin decoder just about fits. So just a word of warning to choose decoders carefully for this Baldwin loco.

Anyway its now working fine after altering the CV values to get the loco to run forwards rather than in reverse. I had the same issues with the Manning & Wardles (the 6 pin decoders wont work at all if reversed in the sockets).

It also requires a bit of care to take apart as the rear buffer beam pipework requires careful removal in order to remove the body from the chassis.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Blackmoor hasn't been set up since last winter so today I decided it was time to test it all still works and to give LYN a run.

The signals are just temporarily fitted till I decide on the type of mechanism to install.

I also remembered that holes needed to be drilled for the lighting pelmet supports on the far end leg. That task is now complete just incase I forget in a years time when it's first show goes ahead.

Also another test of the PC to control the turnouts. I still need to learn how to use JMRI to automate the layout.

20210816_145401.jpg

20210816_134632.jpg

20210816_145647.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple more photos taken a few days ago.

I even had a shunting session even though there are just two sidings.

LYN stuttered a few times and the four wheel wagons bounced a bit when going into the good shed / loading dock siding. Turned out to be a few bits of ballast stuck to the side of the rails despite testing them numerous times in the past. Just shows that you can never test too much but at least the offending ballast was soon removed and shunting improved . I was also shunting from the viewing side so spotting the under track magnets to operate the couplings wasn't easy (white paint marks on the operating side of the rails) but it was still good fun.

20210816_160540-picsay.jpg

20210816_160644-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

spotting the under track magnets to operate the couplings wasn't easy (white paint marks on the operating side of the rails)

Maybe some figures, human, feline etc placed in the appropriate places at home to help? :)  I’ve got photos on the Harz to remind me where the magnets are as there are so many I can’t remember which figure etc mark which one!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Maybe some figures, human, feline etc placed in the appropriate places at home to help? :)  I’ve got photos on the Harz to remind me where the magnets are as there are so many I can’t remember which figure etc mark which one!

Luckily there aren't that many magnets. However I haven't seen any photos of people or animals in the yard, so I guess it just wasn't very busy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Luckily there aren't that many magnets. However I haven't seen any photos of people or animals in the yard, so I guess it just wasn't very busy.

That’s why I was thinking a cat ;)  A figure could be on a clear plastic base just for home use. From the pictures I’ve seen it seems to be the coal merchants who were there the most as I’ve seen pictures of them in the yard at Lynton and Woody Bay unloading. I guess a lot of the other stuff sat there until they arrived and was unloaded and gone in a few minutes. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s why I was thinking a cat ;)  A figure could be on a clear plastic base just for home use. From the pictures I’ve seen it seems to be the coal merchants who were there the most as I’ve seen pictures of them in the yard at Lynton and Woody Bay unloading. I guess a lot of the other stuff sat there until they arrived and was unloaded and gone in a few minutes. 

I wish that I could find a decent shot of the coal store area at Blackmoor.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow its been near four months since my last update.

Not much happened till the last few days.

The station building wall lamps have been bugging me but finally decoimake a master out of styrene thrn make a mold and then resin cast the two required. The same for the larger platform lamps.

This morning the first ones were removed from the mold. Not perfect but a little fettling and they should be OK.

I also think that I have worked out why the one over the gents toilet is high up. It provides light into the open roofed urinals. That one is slightly different to the ones cast so far but hopefully the larger one will be close enough. Just need to find a suitable etch to support it.

20211214_083023.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Little more work on the station lamps.

The teo smaller ones now have the bracket that holds thrm on the station building walls. They will be painted black with the lamp framework green as per those at Woody Bay Station.

The larger ones will be mounted on square posts.

One more to cast that will be mounted above the gents loo.

20211216_115838.jpg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

After a very good weekend away to see Heaton Lodge in Wakefield I am now back home and have fitted the two station wall lamps.

After looking again at old photos the side elevation one doesn't have the bottom bracket that the one at Woody Bay has. I cannot tell if the platform elevation one does so its stayed in lace for now.

Next to complete will be the Lynton bound platform lights.

20211220_123330.jpg

20211220_123314.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This morning I have added the ladder rest to each of the timber post platform lamps. Both were situated on the Lynton bound platform. They were replaced in 1931 with ex LSWR cast ones.

The posts were formed in styrene then the taper filed on each side. The resin lamp top has been drilled and a piece of brass rod inserted. It sort of represents the gas filament but its main purpose is to secure it into the styrene post.

The ladder rest is formed from brass rod with the end dipped in superglue that had partially gone off, to represent the ladder stop.

The post wilm be painted in grey primer before getting a top coat of white.

Just the lamp above the gents to be completed.

20211230_092548.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The last few days I have started to work on the lamp that sits on the wall above the gents toilets. It has a very fiddly bracket. So far I have three of the four sections in place. Once the fourth one is fixed, these will then be trimmed and fixed to the vertical gas pipe which is the actual support in model form.

I just hope that it is strong enough to survive at shows.

20220111_155157.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2