Re-Fuelling Shed

regme

Hi

I'm finally going to start my re-fuelling shed in HO which will be a portal frame structure.  The size of the shed is 115x 565mm so my question is what would be the starting thickness for the base of the structure. 

So far I have found foam core, but I haven't found anything less than 5mm, plywood 3mm and then acrylic sheets from 1.5mm.  I'm leaning towards the acrylic because they can cut it to size so I'll have something square to work from.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I have gone for 3 ply base, here is the start after priming.  Is there a way of getting the wood grain out, I thought maybe using a water down wood putty but I'm, not sure.

Also I think I'm in the wrong area, can I get it moved to Scenery, Structures & Transport if that suits.

Cheers

IMG_4862.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Started on the inside of the shed and apart from finding out I can't paint straight lines.  Hopefully the cladding will hide the terrible workmanship in the end.

So where did it all go wrong, firstly my ambition is more than my talent.

I tried masking tape but cutting a 1mm line was proving difficult and in areas resulting in bleeding under the tape, had a 1mm masking tape and tried painting that and sticking it down but that didn't work.

Tried free hand with a thin brush - wrong answer and finally a bow pen, the bow pen was actual pretty good with a bit more practice should get some reasonable results.

Well onto the structure next.

Cheers

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4925.JPG

• Like 2

I've used 2mm in the past for masking Intercity coach cantrails but I don't think I could handle wrangling 1mm tape

I think if I'd have been doing that walkway I would have masked the grey parts then either -

painted the entire walkway yellow, marked the edges of the green with a paint pen then painted between the lines

or

painted the entire walkway green, masked off the middle using masking tape the size that the green area should end up (preferably coming off the roll that way) and then sprayed the yellow

Oh, I know it's a bit late to go back to your first question about wood grain but I'd have hoped a couple extra layers of paint would have taken care of most of it.

I do think you will be fine in the end, in the 2nd pic, with the loco, the lines don't look too bad, maybe the front left area might be the only part that needs further attention once the structure is in place, thing to remember is those walkway lines in real life may not be as straight as we imagine, if you could view them from 40ft above  they probably have some oops moments too.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, regme said:

Started on the inside of the shed and apart from finding out I can't paint straight lines. 

Try a Posca paint pen (available in yellow) drawn along a straight edge.

• 3 months later...

Hi

Managed to get some time to progress this shed a bit further.  Not too happy about the portal frames, they are to scale in width and depth, but I have made the flanges and web oversized to give it a bit of strength.  Not sure if I should make the portal frames oversized.

Now to work out the flooring, should I print the webforge or 3D print it?

Cheers

IMG_5240.JPG

IMG_5241.JPG

Edited by regme
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit late I know, but you could have drawn up the floor on a computer and printed it out, once varnished it would have been okay. An idea for any future areas like that maybe. 

Simon

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Yeah, someone mentioned that also, and I do have it drawn, just didn't think it would stick very well to ply wood.  I was going to get an acrylic base so I could use a decal but the cost was too much.

This is the first building I'm having ago at and so far I think my ambition outweighed my talent :)

When it's finished I'll see how it looks, maybe there might be a fire and I'll have to collect the insurance and start again with better knowledge

• RMweb Gold

Thankfully there was no internet around when I made my first twenty or so buildings:rolleyes:, I would never have published a photo of them even if there had been. I am still critical of what I make but as a friend say's "if it passes the ten foot test" then it's good enough:D.

Good luck with the rest of the build and just remember "practice makes perfect" or should that be good enough.

Simon

Thanks, we'll see how it goes.

However a mate told be about an aircraft modelling forum were they encourage people to post pictures of their models so people can critique them, but in order to critique you have to post something to be critiqued also.  That way ppeople can get feed back and and learn from others which is pretty good in my opinion.

I'm more than happy for people to provide constructive criticism, because at the end of the day I don't know that much, well enogh to make a mess of it :)

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think you've done a great job so far, photos can be really cruel in showing up stuff that will never be seen by the naked eye. Also photographs are notorious for changing some colours and colour variations.

• Like 1