DCC Concepts 4mm working point rodding.

Has anyone bought and used DCC Concepts 4mm working point rodding? How easy is it to use?

I am building a layout with Peco bullhead code 75 track and points. The track plan is much like that of the (now closed) station of Little Salkeld on the Settle and Carlisle line. I will work the points with Tortoise slow-action motors but I would like the point rodding to move as if it were doing the job.

I am particularly concerned with how rodding crosses one track to get to another beyond it. Does it pass just below the rails or does it pass lower down between two sleepers? When ballasting, how do you prevent the rodding getting stuck in one position? A picture of this finished would be very helpful.,

Thank you for any advice.

• RMweb Premium

I'd looked with interest at this too, and thought a similar question.

The only photo I have for reference is from my own collection taken at the GCR at Loughborough

IMG-3175.jpg

To my eye, that's under the level of the sleepers, so probably just under top of cork layer in 'our' civil engineering

Edited by Foden

• RMweb Gold

I have installed the DCC concepts point rodding as a cosmetic addition only, It wasn't too difficult to install...  I soldered the rods into the cranks but they can be glued as well. With a little more time and thought, it wouldn't have been too difficult to make the system work, but I had no need for it to.  It works out fairly expensive and the cranks are a bit over-size, but if you need them to work, its probably the way to go. If just cosmetic, you may also want to look at Wizard and Brassmasters etched components as an alternative. Their cranks are finer and more to scale. The square rodding is also available separately from Albion Alloys and you can buy packs of additional parts if required.

To cross the tracks I slid the rodding in through the gap between the rail and the sleeper web and glued a plastic shim over the rodding to isolate it from the rails preventing it from shorting the electrics out. 

20190923_070455_resized.jpg.feacaf63c023ac4c0b9736955032c0d0.jpg

image.png.8b313a3afb5808e2dcdaa214554833cc.png

image.png.7e93b5c32144e4a675eee94d03d53179.png

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1