3 hours ago, gc4946 said:

My guesses for this year's announcements:

New tooling:

LMS original Royal Scot

LNER ex-GCR N5 0-6-2T - to complete lineup of Big 4 0-6-2Ts

Class 319 

Mk2f DBSO with gangway at cab end removed 

GCR 6-wheel brake van

SER 6-wheel brake van (one survives on Kent & East Sussex) http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=9280

Reliveries:

SECR birdcage brake 3rd in departmental black

LMS Porthole BTK in blue/grey

Mk2fs in Anglia livery

Class 150/1 in Silverlink livery with First Great Western branding

Class 150/2 in Provincial livery

I was very disappointed when the Original Scot was deferred. Perhaps this year, I’ll be in luck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If I was to wishlist a few items that I would personally like to see announced in the Bachmann 2020 range they would be:

West Coast/Northern Belle 57 either 313 & 601. 

West Coast Maroon 57/3 from 314, 315 or 316. 

Maritime/DB 66 from 005, 047, 051, 090, 142, 148 or 162. 

Colas Rail 70 either with the original helmet or the new style helmet as per the later locos. 

Northern Rail Class 170. 

Ideally I would like both 313 & 601 in West Coast/Northern Belle livery because they have the different noses thus neither can be renumbered from one or the other. We probably won't see both announced in the same year going by 57305 & 57312 in Northern Belle livery but maybe their is a chance for 601 because this was repainted in late 2018, whereas 313 was only repainted a few months ago, so it may have missed Bachmann's 2020 plans. 

I would really like a full Maroon 57/3 in West Coast livery because at least one or two now see use most weekends on charter trains and the Northern Belle. 

A Maritime DB 66 would be ideal for Bachmann to announce and produce seen as though Hattons missed this one out from their range. 

It's been around 18 months since Colas 70805 arrived with retailers and thus I would like to think that their is sufficient demand for another run now. 

The Northern Rail 170 might be a non starter for the 2020 range just because we haven't seen the first batch of the new tooled 170s arrive yet. If we see it announced this year or in the future though, either way it would be nice with Northern now having several of these operating on different routes. 

Besides the long awaited 1532 0-4-4's, Bachmann ought really to announce some LMS Period 1 (and perhaps even MR livery) passenger stock to a similar quality and standard to the SECR birdcages, plus a Crimson Compound, in early 30's LMS livery.   I imagine these would all be widely appreciated

Edited by thefin
spellcheck
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else tired of all the posts which think they're so funny saying "Its announced in 2020, but out in 2024" or similar? 

We all know that whats announced now wont be out for a while. Long gone are the days of Hornby releasing their catalogue in January and the factory simply pressing a slightly different plastic mould to fit on whatever existing chassis was most suitable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2

Available to preorder?

Without wishing to upset @JohnR, Blue’s lead times mean that any preorders made now will be exercised against an invalid credit card! 

Try to remember to update your CC details in five years’ time peeps!

• Funny 3

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Clearwater said:

If not commented above, I’d expect a formal uk launch of their Thomas range.

This is very much the lead story for Bachmann this year with the details of this launched at the London Toy Fair so expect the full information to be available on Tuesday 21 January. Applying logic to this many of the trade customers buying such will want the stock in their shops for the run-up to Christmas so this means that the factory will be ensuring that stock is available. It doesn't mean they'll be dropping everything else as they already produce this for the 'Rest of the World' but they will be ensuring there is stock for our domestic market.

This will be followed by trade days at the beginning of February (rather than press days) where there will be progress updates on previously announced new tooling projects with a move towards not announcing new tooling items until physically underway. It won't make the slightest bit of difference as to when a product will actually arrive on the shelves but it will mean a little less for the frothers to get over-excited or overly critical about at the start of 2020. I know there are projects underway which haven't been announced so we should expect a period of adjustment in the way products are announced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

This is very much the lead story for Bachmann this year with the details of this launched at the London Toy Fair so expect the full information to be available on Tuesday 21 January. Applying logic to this many of the trade customers buying such will want the stock in their shops for the run-up to Christmas so this means that the factory will be ensuring that stock is available. It doesn't mean they'll be dropping everything else as they already produce this for the 'Rest of the World' but they will be ensuring there is stock for our domestic market.

I understand that the delay is due to their seeking CE approval for the Range, which whilst on existing models does not exist within the UK at present - as they were never intended as Hornby had that Market covered.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Deltic said:

I understand that the delay is due to their seeking CE approval for the Range,

I'd say that may be a red herring as they will have had certification for anything sold into the EU already. The acquisition of the UK Thomas licence was in April 2019 so it'll have taken time to plan production and launch for 2020, it wouldn't have made the 2020 Christmas market anyway.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Anyone else tired of all the posts which think they're so funny saying "Its announced in 2020, but out in 2024" or similar? 

We all know that whats announced now wont be out for a while. Long gone are the days of Hornby releasing their catalogue in January and the factory simply pressing a slightly different plastic mould to fit on whatever existing chassis was most suitable. 

It seems to me that Bachmann is overcoming its supply problems and new models are starting to come through steadily. New models will probably still take some time but the jibe is rather out of date.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

It seems to me that Bachmann is overcoming its supply problems and new models are starting to come through steadily. New models will probably still take some time but the jibe is rather out of date.

I was pleased to read of Bachmann's merger with (take-over by) Kader as I thought that this would give them a dedicated production pipeline that was interested in getting products to market.

But it's clear that Kader has large international markets to satisfy, and Bachmann's UK market is not of high importance. Moreover, Bachmann is now tied in and cannot move production or spread the load.

If Bachmann is moving focus to reducing the backlog and not making announcements until realistic expectations can be raised and met, I'm all for it. But my (limited) experience in their current pipeline suggests that, even if the jibe is tired, it's not out of date.

Jus' sayin'.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Bachmann Europe has always been a subsidiary of Kader Industries.

Thanks for the clarification, Andy.

ISTR, a couple of years ago, when other manufacturers were having problems with factory closures, that Bachmann was 'safe' because it had a direct link with its own (Kader's) factory. I assumed/misread/something that Bachmann Europe had been subsumed by Kader, I didn't realise that it had been a subsidiary all along.

The rest of my post stands, though (IMO).

Hopefully Bachmann have something to announce that will be audible against Hornby's mighty thunder! In their shoes I would quickly advance A2's 'Bronzino' and 'Velocity' toward production. We have the pretty A2s that worked really well, and had two of the best names ever seen on steam locos...

3 hours ago, JohnR said:

Anyone else tired of all the posts which think they're so funny saying "Its announced in 2020, but out in 2024" or similar?...

I regard it as inconsequential fluff. If the joker was supplying the essential common everyday quantity items that a model railway needs it might make some impression. But as it is I am still enjoying the high summer of Bachmann's feats in plentiful and economical production of BR's 16T minerals and mk1 coaches to competent kit builder standard, and that's before we get to locos like the WD, A1, K3, 9F, O4, A2, B1, which are such mainstream BR southern ECML fodder. They could have left the UK market, and I would still feel grateful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rovex said:

When are Bachmann going to upgrade/replace the now quite antiquated 60ft Collett coaches?

Based on the gestation time of the Thompson stock and the currently worked-upon Bulleids... 2035? 

In all seriousness, I would imagine that they will get around to them eventually though - the rest of the big 4 have new-tool coaching stock from Bachmann (Portholes, Thompsons and Bullieds) and as the sunshine stock is Bachmann's 'property' I think we'll get some eventually, although at what price?! I'd also like to see more than just the TK and BCK retooled; a CK and BTK should be added as a minimum, and if we're to be really spoilt, a FK, Diner and BG?  

CoY

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

This will be followed by trade days at the beginning of February (rather than press days) where there will be progress updates on previously announced new tooling projects with a move towards not announcing new tooling items until physically underway. It won't make the slightest bit of difference as to when a product will actually arrive on the shelves but it will mean a little less for the frothers to get over-excited or overly critical about at the start of 2020. I know there are projects underway which haven't been announced so we should expect a period of adjustment in the way products are announced.

This can only be a good thing. I would much rather Bachmann only announced models, including new versions of existing tooling, for which they had production slots allocated for the current year. New tooling may always slip for a variety of reasons but reliveries/numbers should not.

The other benefit of this is pricing. We know prices go up year on year and it is very frustrating when production of a model slips and suddenly there is a big (annual) price rise applied. The nearer production something is announced, the smaller any compounded annual increase is. Hornby seems able to retain its initially announced pricing even when there is slippage into the next year. It's a shame Bachmann can't do the same.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, rembrow said:

As Bachmann already has some chassis components from the Ivatt Class 2 and the standard class 3, I've always hoped they would complete the set with the Standard Class 2s and the Class 3 2 6 0 tender locos.

Scrap the Standard Class 2 tender loco, now announced by Hornby in 2020 range. Only leaves the Standard Class 2 tank and Class 3 tender. I suspect the Class 2 tank could be bagged by H as well in the next year or two.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

......... as the sunshine stock is Bachmann's 'property' I think we'll get some eventually, although at what price?! I'd also like to see more than just the TK and BCK retooled; a CK and BTK should be added as a minimum, and if we're to be really spoilt, a FK, Diner and BG?  

CoY

Yes the GWR sunshine stock is way overdue for being replaced.

I would add to the list of course: Handed stock (Left & Right) and a full brake. Plus maybe a 1930's Restaurant carriage.

• Like 1

There isn’t that much that I’d like from Bachmann this time. The longtime wish for a Class 104 DMU still stands, and original Spinterman livery 150/2, but I appreciate the front gangway door window would be an issue. 

Mk 1 FO White roof IC charters but perhaps Hornby have a better chance of that coming to fruition.

Mk 2B/C coaches.

Maybe another run of Blue+Grey and/or Intercity Executive Mk 2F TSO’s to extend the rake to 6 (or 7 if you add Buffet car).

Another couple of FFA’s to make the minimum 5 rake.

and that’s about it.