Bachmann 2020 Range

Dax.b

3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Yes the GWR sunshine stock is way overdue for being replaced.

I would add to the list of course: Handed stock (Left & Right) and a full brake. Plus maybe a 1930's Restaurant carriage.

The GWR stopped building 'handed' coaches after the Centenary stock of 1935, with the BTK coaches being handed; ergo no sunshine stock was ever handed. 

What would the GWR modeller prefer though from Bachmann though; sunsine stock or... toplights!?

CoY

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Maybe something like a Maunsell Q or LBSCR K from Bachmann?

I would been in for a Southern liveried K Class,  lovely locomotives and quite long lived until their sudden withdrawel in 1962.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, truffy said:

ISTR, a couple of years ago, when other manufacturers were having problems with factory closures, that Bachmann was 'safe' because it had a direct link with its own (Kader's) factory. I assumed/misread/something that Bachmann Europe had been subsumed by Kader, I didn't realise that it had been a subsidiary all along.

The rest of my post stands, though (IMO).

For anyone interested, most of the model train production in China was done by a company called Sanda Kan who competed with Kader (not just for model trains, but also for general toys and other items - both large companies).

12 years ago Kader bought Sanda Kan, and initially promised all the customers of Sanda Kan that nothing would change.  Alas, as it so often the case Sanda Kan had been part of a prior takoever by JP Morgan that loaded Sanda Kan up with debt, and that about 8 years ago caused things to come to a head.  So about 8 years ago Kader suddenly told all the model train companies using Sanda Kan that they would no longer made models for them, this causing the supply problems that not only Hornby experienced but manufacturers around the world (compounded when another supplier closed down shortly afterward).

So at this time Bachmann was "safe", but I assume Kader struggled in the intervening years to deal with the debt issue and eventually (fortunately after everyone else had recovered) Kader had to change things/restructure/whatever to restore profits.  3rd hand info indicates that this has been done in part by increasing costs to consumers (through the increased costs to Bachmann and other local brands), and by significant changes at the factory level which resulted in Bachmann's current problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Does anyone agree that the LB&SCR K class 2-6-0 would be a great model for Bachmann as they have the H1 H2 & E4 of witch I have all. and as you may guess I'm a huge fan of the K class 

The livery's are quite well catered for also

LBSCR has Black, Umber and (red oxide I think?

Southern has Green & Black

BR has well Black

I think it would be a lovely model even if the price might be around £110-£130 I'm willing to pay.

PLEASE Bachmann 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

The GWR stopped building 'handed' coaches after the Centenary stock of 1935, with the BTK coaches being handed; ergo no sunshine stock was ever handed. 

What would the GWR modeller prefer though from Bachmann though; sunsine stock or... toplights!?

CoY

Personally I would like to see a Toplights introduced, but realistically I would say it’s unlikely beyond one or two types. They are just too complex over a period of time as the various panels changed. At best, all we could expect would be a 3rd & a Brake 3rd.

Therefore if it’s a new range of carriages we are after it would have to be new Sunshine stock..... 

• Like 1

In view of the competition and not to fall behind, I would expect them to announce newly tooled versions of their class 20s, 37s and 47s.  They have blasted the market with 37s and 47s recently using the old tooling, an update to keep them ahead of the competition I would imagine would be likely.

In terms of electrics may be a class 81. 

In terms of steam - maybe an update of some of the older models - Manor, Royal Scot, B17. 

Howabout GCR locos - LNER J10 and LNER D6 or Metropolitan E class or LNER Q6. 

I would expect expansion of their 009 range with perhaps some prototypes from the Ffestiniog Railway? Penrhyn Quarry Ladies - Linda and Blanche - some carriages from the FR.  FR is one of the most popular Narrow Gauge lines. Maybe even their version of the England /Double Fairlies if work had been going on prior to the Peco/Kato announcement. Maybe Vale of Rheidol carriages to go with the announced VoR Model Rail tanks would be nice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

This can only be a good thing. I would much rather Bachmann only announced models, including new versions of existing tooling, for which they had production slots allocated for the current year. New tooling may always slip for a variety of reasons but reliveries/numbers should not.

The other benefit of this is pricing. We know prices go up year on year and it is very frustrating when production of a model slips and suddenly there is a big (annual) price rise applied. The nearer production something is announced, the smaller any compounded annual increase is. Hornby seems able to retain its initially announced pricing even when there is slippage into the next year. It's a shame Bachmann can't do the same.

It is frustrating when I put money aside to pay for advance orders only to find that more money is required. Such budgeting is necessary to avoid catastrophe!

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, marksouthdown said:

I would expect them to announce newly tooled versions of their class 20s, 37s and 47s. 

It seems some people are not reading my post from yesterday.

On 06/01/2020 at 08:23, AY Mod said:

This is very much the lead story for Bachmann this year with the details of this launched at the London Toy Fair so expect the full information to be available on Tuesday 21 January. Applying logic to this many of the trade customers buying such will want the stock in their shops for the run-up to Christmas so this means that the factory will be ensuring that stock is available. It doesn't mean they'll be dropping everything else as they already produce this for the 'Rest of the World' but they will be ensuring there is stock for our domestic market.

This will be followed by trade days at the beginning of February (rather than press days) where there will be progress updates on previously announced new tooling projects with a move towards not announcing new tooling items until physically underway. It won't make the slightest bit of difference as to when a product will actually arrive on the shelves but it will mean a little less for the frothers to get over-excited or overly critical about at the start of 2020. I know there are projects underway which haven't been announced so we should expect a period of adjustment in the way products are announced.

• Agree 1

On 06/01/2020 at 08:23, AY Mod said:

This will be followed by trade days at the beginning of February (rather than press days) where there will be progress updates on previously announced new tooling projects with a move towards not announcing new tooling items until physically underway. It won't make the slightest bit of difference as to when a product will actually arrive on the shelves but it will mean a little less for the frothers to get over-excited or overly critical about at the start of 2020. I know there are projects underway which haven't been announced so we should expect a period of adjustment in the way products are announced.

The key point obviously being the text in bold.  Compared to Hornby's announcement yesterday, Bachmann's announcement is likely to have much less of a 'wow' factor.  Wish-listing for anything that isn't another run of an existing model or a previously announced model in a different livery or with a new running number is perhaps unlikely.  However, there is plenty of good models in Bachmann's back catalogue that could have another batch produced. 

Edited by Dungrange
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes thanks to Andy for posting the info . Looks like following Hornbys big bang  announcement expectations for Bachmann are being tempered. The key point is highlighted by Dungrange , so there seems little point in frothing .   Seems like we will get details on existing new tooling programs , the 94XX and V2 spring to mind , and possibly details of reliveries in existing ranges.

I think mdvie summarised the position very well . We don't know , but I assume Kader reprioritised production to better utilise their factory and increase margins . Companies do need to make money!  But like Truffy  I'm far from convinced that Bachmann will dramatically eat into their backlog this year .  My only toe in the water is the Caley 812 , through Rails , coming up in February to the second anniversary of the announcement and I'd be surprised if we have this model by the third anniversary . The original expectation stated to me on Bachmann and Rails stands at date of announcement was 18 months .   Also slightly concerned that we may not have seen the final price and its already £200 for a blue one .

So Bachmann announcement will be a completely different kettle of fish to the Hornby one , but hopefully we will at least get updates on where the various models are . I know there is a danger giving dates that slip , but not giving any dates at all , or prices come to that, suggests that its not yet been decided , meaning that Bachmann will continue to lack credibility on these points . Great models when they arrive though!

Container and steal trains seem to be the in thing at the moment. So I'm hoping for something along the lines of the EWS FCA container twins. FTA FSA Frieghtliner flats and seen as we have the chassis the BPA, BMA/BNA slab/plate wagons would be nice.

Fingers crossed

Edited by RP82

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Maybe something like a Maunsell Q or LBSCR K from Bachmann?

Sorry old boy, but the prospect of seeing an LBSCR K class in RTR is exceedingly small. It would appear that Bachmann have been rather prudent , possibly awaiting  with how things pan out with toys over the longer period. I'd suggest that Bachmann have continued (at the moment) with any project that has passed their personal conceived cut-off point. 

For what it's worth, I too, would like to see an RTR K class. If the Bluebell team start making a 1:1 copy, no doubt we'll see one, but I'd be long gone by then.

Cheers,

Ian.

7 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Sorry old boy, but the prospect of seeing an LBSCR K class in RTR is exceedingly small. It would appear that Bachmann have been rather prudent , possibly awaiting  with how things pan out with toys over the longer period. I'd suggest that Bachmann have continued (at the moment) with any project that has passed their personal conceived cut-off point. 

For what it's worth, I too, would like to see an RTR K class. If the Bluebell team start making a 1:1 copy, no doubt we'll see one, but I'd be long gone by then.

Cheers,

Ian.

The obvious choice for Bachmann would surely be another Maunsell mogul of the U class or N1/U1. Similarly, a Bulldog using CADs from their Earl.

Edited by Denbridge

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Legend said:

So Bachmann announcement will be a completely different kettle of fish to the Hornby one , but hopefully we will at least get updates on where the various models are . I know there is a danger giving dates that slip , but not giving any dates at all , or prices come to that, suggests that its not yet been decided , meaning that Bachmann will continue to lack credibility on these points . Great models when they arrive though!

So this year's catalogue may well have no all new (i.e. tooling) models as those not yet announced are unlikely to have progressed far enough based on the criterion given by Andy Y. I think I prefer it that way. But as for updates on already announced models, Bachmann is pretty good at providing updates such as in the quarterly Club magazine, so this will just be another update between times. A full release programme for all already announced new liveries/versions using existing tooling would, though, be really useful.

New announcements of liveries/versions using existing tooling are also welcome of course, but as I've said already only if they will be released during the validity of the catalogue please.

Light at the end of the tunnel? The pace of releases has picked up of late. Bachmann's period in 'durance vile' while they got a whole new manufacturing site sorted out may be coming to an end. Memories are short, not so very long ago, this lack of production was all over Hornby following the closure of Sanda Kan: look at them now!

Yesterday is not necessarily predictive of tomorrow. A whole new thing may come and upset the applecart anytime. Errors, omissions and false conclusions almost certainly present. Your personal beliefs, interests and standing may be unpredictably severely disrupted. No money back under any circumstances.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Plus maybe a 1930's Restaurant carriage.

I think a trick is being missed with the Hawksworth/early BR rebuilds of Collett catering stock, very handsome vehicles with big windows to show off all that lovely interior detail...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I think a trick is being missed with the Hawksworth/early BR rebuilds of Collett catering stock, very handsome vehicles with big windows to show off all that lovely interior detail...

Spam & Branston pickle sandwiches in Cwmdimbath, young Johnster? 

Corr! You're living the high life!

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

What would the GWR modeller prefer though from Bachmann though; sunsine stock or... toplight

A decent 5-plank open, a decent Fruit D, an Iron Mink, a decent 2721 or 1854, a Collett 31xx, a rebuilt Taff Vale A class,  57xx/8750/64xx panniers and Dukedogs without top feeds, a 54xx, more non gangwayed stock that isn't B sets, A43/4 'Cyclops' auto trailers (admittedly these are BR (W) rather than GW), Collett BG.  Retooled sunshines and toplights would be nice, but of no interest on my BLT.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Spam & Branston pickle sandwiches in Cwmdimbath, young Johnster? 

Corr! You're living the high life!

You can't take it with you, Ian.  In which case I'm not going...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

A decent 5-plank open, a decent Fruit D, an Iron Mink, a decent 2721 or 1854, a Collett 31xx, a rebuilt Taff Vale A class,  57xx/8750/64xx panniers and Dukedogs without top feeds, a 54xx, more non gangwayed stock that isn't B sets, A43/4 'Cyclops' auto trailers (admittedly these are BR (W) rather than GW), Collett BG.  Retooled sunshines and toplights would be nice, but of no interest on my BLT.

Well, I too would like a decent little non-topfeed pannier. An early 57xx pannier would be just the thing. You really need to engage with Hornby, but I'd guess that you won't see one until the Large Prairie makes its debut. 

For people with a certain predeliction for things Western, it would appear that 'the trade' is a bit more open these days towards polite requests. We can lead, but demands are a no-no. No, we won't see an Aberdare or any such rare jewellry, but the bread  might have a better class of butter, if you get my drift. Dean Sidings and his successors might be the way to go.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Sorry! And now back to the Blue Box area! 

Edited by tomparryharry
Forgetfulness.
  • Agree 1

The following would be nice;

1. DB Red and/or Malcolm Rail liveried Class 90 

2. Colas Rail Freight Class 70

3. A new re-run of the ex-Railtrack or a new Network Rail liveried JJA Auto-Ballaster 5 wagon set

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1