Bachmann 2020 Range

Dax.b

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It also, I imagine, depends on the state of progress the project has reached, the further advanced equating to the more likely that the company will continue with it and recoup some of the money they've already put in.  Hanging on to a production slot in China may be worth a loss if it upsets an opportunity for the competition, enabling you to beat him to market and tap any reservoir of demand for that prototype.

And that has just been demonstrated now, Cavalex have put the 4mm project on stop as a result of Hornby. Which is a shame as it will have given Hornby the desired result and will almost certainly mean they'll do it again (if it was done as a reaction to Cavalex)

With regards to the announcement of new models when they are ready for tooling - I presume the scenecraft range isn't affected by this and will be announced at the main catalogue & range announcement? I'd certainly like to see Bachmann expand their range of GWR Station buildings and signal boxes. 

1 hour ago, surfsup said:

With regards to the announcement of new models when they are ready for tooling

To be clear this was just a guess, Bachmann haven't made anything public yet about their policy going forward.

1 hour ago, surfsup said:

I presume the scenecraft range isn't affected by this and will be announced at the main catalogue & range announcement? I'd certainly like to see Bachmann expand their range of GWR Station buildings and signal boxes. 

The February announcement will not include anything new based on what Andy Y has posted on here multiple times.

1 minute ago, mdvle said:

To be clear this was just a guess, Bachmann haven't made anything public yet about their policy going forward.

The February announcement will not include anything new based on what Andy Y has posted on here multiple times.

I'm fully aware of that, but wondering if the Scenecraft range is included in that or not. The possible new policy will likely be for the main range models, but may or may not be applicable to the Scenecraft range. 

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Mark201 said:

I do find this debate about product announcements most interesting - to announce or not announce, that is the question! It's a tough one to call and so difficult to get right.

For me, I am happy for Bachmann not to announce so much this year and hold announcements off until a model is further down the production line. 

I am minded to the 'announcement' of the 2-HAP. Announced in 2016 to coincide with the celebrations of 30 years since the start of operations of Network South East. Clearly 4 years on and still no model, one could assume that the model was at the very early stages of development when the announcement was made. I note that in the Winter issue of Bachmann Times  the model is listed as 'In Production' in the OO Scale Works Report, but not included on the Bachmann 'Coming Soon' flyer I picked up at Warley which lists up to March 2020 for OO. I don't realistically expect to see the 2-HAP until the summer 2020. 

Given the suggested move by Bachmann to hold off announcements until a model is further down the production line, the 2 HAP would not have been announced until the middle  of last year, somewhat missing the NSE celebrations by 3 years. Surely if Bachmann wanted to be part of the NSE celebrations then development of the 2-HAP should have started way sooner in 2011/12, they did have 30 years notice.

All that said, I am sure it will be a fine model when it arrives.

Mark

So...

Are they announcing that there are no announcements about the previously announced 2-HAP?

Or are they not announcing that they are making any more announcements about other announcements?

Or are they going to announce that they aren't making any more announcements until the previously announced announcements about the 2-HAP have been dis-announced?

My head hurts...…………….

:mellow:

• Funny 4

My copy of the 2020 combined edition catalogue, has just dropped through the letterbox.

I’ve only had a chance to quickly scan the accompanying letter, but it seems to confirm that there are no “new items” and that future new releases will be notified by a quarterly bulletin.

A quick glance indicates quite a few new liveries, but it’s mostly consolidation and the same as last year.

In future, no more photos of the prototype, or graphics illustrations to accompany new announcements.
They say they will only show photos of real examples of a model when making announcements of new releases.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that basically says they won’t announce anything until it’s only a few months off being ready to ship.

I’ll have a proper read, later on today.

Ron

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

I am surprised at how fast they got out re-releases in new colours last year. So my guess is more re-releases and price increase for other items already announced and priced last year.

I guess when they feel confident that they can get all new models within a reasonable time scale (say less than 3 years) then they may announce other items.

I can imagine that they not only wish to clear the backlog but equally ensure new models continue to sell (and in what quantities). They already stopped doing some items due to being un-economic. And others may follow.

• Agree 3

Personally, I think that this is a good move by Bachmann; pushing back the announcements to give a shorter, and more realistic, time to delivery.

My one caveat is over commissioners' announcements. IDK, but I guess that commissioners want to get some idea of market desire before committing themselves; in which case, early announcements for pre-orders might be important. OTOH, if commissioners have the same degree of market intel that the manufacturers have, and why wouldn't they?, then it may well be moot.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes I agree, it is more that if a company says they are doing a product there is a situation where another company looking at the same product has a decision to make. Do they a) continue and beat the other one to the market b) continue and not beat the other one to the market or c) cut their losses and pull out. 

I'd be interested to know which is more common! I would imagine it depends on the companies involved.

I should think that the decision is made on how far along the production a model is. There comes a point where it is better to continue and make a small loss than to write off costs already incurred and make a bigger loss. Then there is the matter of the Terrier. Hornby got to market first but Dapol then knew what it had to beat and is going ahead, claiming to produce a model better than the Hornby. I have one Hornby but two Dapol on order. I’m curious to see how the two compare.

There was a case a few years ago where the Bachmann catalogue was rather thin because a couple of key items were cancelled duplicates. I have often thought that Bachmann’s habitual announcements shortly after Hornby were a mistake. I wonder how the new system will work. It seems that no longer will I have the  pleasure of following a desired item through all the stages of production. Last minute announcements will cause havoc with budgeting.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I should think that the decision is made on how far along the production a model is. There comes a point where it is better to continue and make a small loss than to write off costs already incurred and make a bigger loss. Then there is the matter of the Terrier. Hornby got to market first but Dapol then knew what it had to beat and is going ahead, claiming to produce a model better than the Hornby. I have one Hornby but two Dapol on order. I’m curious to see how the two compare.

There was a case a few years ago where the Bachmann catalogue was rather thin because a couple of key items were cancelled duplicates. I have often thought that Bachmann’s habitual announcements shortly after Hornby were a mistake. I wonder how the new system will work. It seems that no longer will I have the  pleasure of following a desired item through all the stages of production. Last minute announcements will cause havoc with budgeting.

I suspect rather than last minute "These are on the ship; fill your boots!" announcements, we might see more details released as they get to EP stage.

Clearly I could be wrong, but I wouldn't have thought it would be in their interest to announce so close to delivery - they could end up with an over-stock situation.

I'm waiting for my new look combined catalogue / letter with interest..... although the last Bachmann Times took 5 weeks to get here! I might have a wait on my hands :-(

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that basically says they won’t announce anything until it’s only a few months off being ready to ship.

I’ll have a proper read, later on today.

Ron

So if that's correct it will significantly increase the risk of duplication I would think? Sounds like they're going to operate more like Hornby timescale wise, and look at the aggro that's  causing!

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Whats meant by "combined edition" ?  Is that Bachmann and Farish?   Are there new liveries on existing models in there or is it just the same as last years catalogue?

Graham Farish, Narrow Gauge, Thomas and Friends, Branchline, Scenecraft, EFEand Modelmaker

N, OO9, OO, O, 16mm and G scale

Edited by Bob83a
Added efe
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have my combined volume and after a quick glance it is just Models previously announced I did not spot any new liveried items. So having read the letter I am still a little confused.

Are we every three months going to get a leaflet detailing new releases which means new tooling and new liveries on existing tooling?

Does this combine therefore replace the old catalogue so next year we get a new combine including the new models which have been released over the past year?

Maybe all will be explained in February and at this event will we find out what the new liveried items for the next 3 months will be?

What if there is nothing to be announced over the 3 month period?

I suspect no one will know but will wait till after Feb then pose any questions to Bachmann.

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I have my combined volume and after a quick glance it is just Models previously announced I did not spot any new liveried items. So having read the letter I am still a little confused.

Are we every three months going to get a leaflet detailing new releases which means new tooling and new liveries on existing tooling?

Does this combine therefore replace the old catalogue so next year we get a new combine including the new models which have been released over the past year?

Maybe all will be explained in February and at this event will we find out what the new liveried items for the next 3 months will be?

What if there is nothing to be announced over the 3 month period?

I suspect no one will know but will wait till after Feb then pose any questions to Bachmann.

I don't know if I am more or less confused after reading your post TBH!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Bob83a said:

Graham Farish, Narrow Gauge, Thomas and Friends, Branchline, Scenecraft, EFEand Modelmaker

N, OO9, OO, O, 16mm and G scale

Now the big question is, will there be 00-9 gauge Thomas items appearing this year?

6 hours ago, Markwj said:

I have my combined volume ......... So having read the letter I am still a little confused.

Are we every three months going to get a leaflet detailing new releases which means new tooling and new liveries on existing tooling? ......

To quote from the letter accompanying the Combined Volume.  (my bold highlights)......

"The Combined Volume illustrates ongoing items that are available to purchase from your local retailer, or have been included in previous catalogues for delivery at a future date.

It does not include any unseen re-livery or new tooling products."

".......so starting this February each issue of your Bachmann Times magazine will feature a new product brochure, highlighting completely new items to be released during the following three months.
New tooling announcements will no longer be illustrated by black and white photographs of the original prototype, replaced instead by pictures of our actual models."

A key bit here.....

"While we continue to deliver items previously announced, it is anticipated that

your first new product brochure will highlight fewer items than those you will receive towards the end of this year.
This is quite natural as we reduce the number of outstanding items, clearing the path for an increasing quantity of exciting new models."

To me, that sounds like each quarterly Bachmann Times magazine, will include a separate brochure, or pamphlet, much like that for the Members exclusive models, containing the new release details.

If they stick to their stated intention, the new items will then be available to purchase from anytime from a few weeks, up to 3 months from the time of the announcement.

......Does this combine therefore replace the old catalogue so next year we get a new combine including the new models which have been released over the past year? ......

We don't know yet if they'll repeat the Combined Edition next year, but it might be a likely scenario.

If so, it might not include models that have been released earlier in the preceding year, but which have long sold out. There'd be no point in including them if they were no longer available to buy.

Again, we'll have to wait and see.

.....What if there is nothing to be announced over the 3 month period? .....

I suspect they will have plans to spread new releases over the 4 quarters, possibly using re-liveries and accessory items to fill the gaps where newly tooled models are not planned to appear.

We have already been warned (quoted above) not to expect much in the first quarter of this year.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Clearly a brilliant marketing ploy by Bachmann to generate more interest in their products on this forum. Froth and wishlisting can now be a quarterly ritual with the inevitable 'nothing for me this quarter' after each issue. Still there is always next quarter.......

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I've yet to receive my Bachmann Times and Combined etc. But hang on a second, I'm beginning to feel a bit cheated here. Perhaps I will change my mind when I see it.... BUT

The marketing for the Bachmann club includes a catalogue every year... thats their offer included with the last BT of the year. (Older members year started in July)

We have subscribed on the basis that is what Bachmann have committed to.

Maybe the combined is as good as a Catalogue.... or maybe its just this year to get Bachmann out of a hole.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure i’m too keen on this revised approach...

ive nothing to look forwards to, until its here..then ive got to scramble if I want it.. but no plan to save in advance as I don't know what to expect...a £500 EMU or a £5 accessory.

Its not easy for retailers to plan either.. a customer asking whats best, the shop cant give an answer.. if someone wants a mk2f.. do you refer them to Hornbys timeline and livery choices, or say a say wait for a Bachmann one that may never be made ? 

Maybe they too dont know whats coming until it arrives. It sounds a bit “wrenn” and their limited special releases,  All feels to me a bit (edited) sad.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4

Got my 'Combined Volume' yesterday. Half of it repeats the information on 00 items that I received in last year's catalogue and the other half information on models in scales I have no interest in. On that basis I fail to see the point of it and it's gone straight to recycling!

• Like 2