Bachmann 2020 Range

Dax.b

One could argue that they just went from one extreme in being too many years ahead (though that was probably due to factory resources) to the other extreme of giving too short a notice.

End customer budgetting aside, even shops might find the period too short to determine an accurate figure of how many to order. The Hornby Rocket shows the problems of what happens if the period from announcement to delivery is too short. 12 to 18 months seems to be about the right balance to me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

So skimming through all this, basically Bachmann thus far have for 2020 annouced the model railway equivalent of the Argos catalogue I used to flick through as a kid, lots of nice pictures, but your not getting any of this sunshine, and a sort of vague pledge to get back on track with everything promised over the last 4 years?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

I'm OK with this new approach. I always found it frustrating when a new model was announced getting all excited and eager to get my grubby mitts on it but then realising I would have to wait 2-5 years. Hopefully the wait from livery sample to delivery will be months rather than years.

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

The Bachmann.uk Website is in "Maintance" ATM, new Design I see.

Old design, I hope! Those three little words most of us dread: “Fresh new look.”

The only thing which could be improved about the old website, I think, would have been larger pictures when clicking on a small image. Even that was starting to get done.

• Agree 1

The new catalogue has just arrived with a thump. For a Bachmann club member, it’s disappointing. Much of the most interesting content, including photographs, has been taken straight from the club magazine. I fully appreciate that people who buy the catalogue (it comes as part of club membership) will be unfamiliar with the content but at the least, would it have been so difficult to search out different photographs of the same thing? I’m particularly impressed by the 009 quarry layout pictured on page 176. A previously unpublished picture of it would have been very much more appealing. Peter Marriott’s fine work must surely have been photographed a lot and those photographs could be mined profitably.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The solution is simple. Bachmann should announce things 5 years ahead but only to those who want to know. These people must promise not to tell those who don't want to know until much later.

(Anyone thinking of a Likely Lads episode now?)

Only five,........?

:D

• Funny 1

Ok, blood is boiling. I, like many other people, paid the premium for the SECR C class rerun. I saw the catalogue images, and even saw the livery sample on display at events. The thing that arrived differed in one crucial, easily visible way. Instead of black handrails, the damn thing has bright silver ones. If I wanted something that looked like a Dapol early 90's effort, I would have bought one of those! I wanted what was advertised, and what was shown to me.

Ok, so I contacted Bachmann to voice my displeasure. Their Marketing Manager tried to smooth talk me, until he realised that it wasn't going to work, and ended up apologising profusely instead. Bachmann are, apparently, taking steps to ensure this never happens again. 

Then this weighty coffee coaster appears. Being a suspicious soul, I looked at 31-460A. They are still peddling the image that they know is WRONG! I know this thing will have been in the works for some time, but to know you fouled up a premium product, then to not change it when the solution is in your own hands........

Very poor, Bachmann. Very poor indeed. 

Oh, and one SECR C class for sale.....

Edited by Fireline
typo
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

A yes. “Certificate error. This site is not secure.” :D

And some of the menu’s try to access web sites with addresses in the 10.50.x.x subnet which are not accessible from the Internet! So they are still making changes/testing.

40 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

A yes. “Certificate error. This site is not secure.” :D

Works fine for me. You may possibly have  cached content lingering.

The one thing that is still not quite there appears to be the images. Several models are missing an image on the new design, when they had one on the old design (eg, some variants of the crane), and others are in the wrong place (eg, the "Station Pilot" and "Whiskies Galore" train sets have their secondary images interchanged). But I presume that's something that can fairly easily be fixed.

Otherwise, the new design seems pretty good. The big improvement is that it's now a properly responsive design that works on mobile devices. There's also more content on the individual product pages, which is useful.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fireline said:

Ok, blood is boiling. I, like many other people, paid the premium for the SECR C class rerun. I saw the catalogue images, and even saw the livery sample on display at events. The thing that arrived differed in one crucial, easily visible way. Instead of black handrails, the damn thing has bright silver ones. If I wanted something that looked like a Dapol early 90's effort, I would have bought one of those! I wanted what was advertised, and what was shown to me.

Ok, so I contacted Bachmann to voice my displeasure. Their Marketing Manager tried to smooth talk me, until he realised that it wasn't going to work, and ended up apologising profusely instead. Bachmann are, apparently, taking steps to ensure this never happens again. 

Then this weighty coffee coaster appears. Being a suspicious soul, I looked at 31-460A. They are still peddling the image that they know is WRONG! I know this thing will have been in the works for some time, but to know you fouled up a premium product, then to not change it when the solution is in your own hands........

Very poor, Bachmann. Very poor indeed. 

Oh, and one SECR C class for sale.....

Or alternatively Bachmann can make a J21 for the North East market and if they did we would be very greatful and thankful that they have. Even with silver handrails we would be happy such a model was made and can get out a paintbrush to change it if so needed...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

New Catalogue

Bachmann2020.jpg.160ae45d4a7628e0dd8dd193110b3540.jpg

The term Combined Volume conjures up the Ramseys or Platform 5 volumes in my mind, but if putting all the brands in one volume works for Bachmann then fine by me. Admittedly mine hasn't landed yet, so the coffee table is still quaking...

But hasn't Bachmann missed a trick? Isn't this year all about Thomas now that Bachmann has the UK licence, but there is no image on the front cover to tempt our younger friends to pester their parents to buy not just the catalogue but also the trains themselves. I'm assuming of course that Thomas is included - I'm sure I recall an earlier post from Andy or Phil that they were.

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Or alternatively Bachmann can make a J21 for the North East market and if they did we would be very greatful and thankful that they have. Even with silver handrails we would be happy such a model was made and can get out a paintbrush to change it if so needed...

Even I would take on repainting handrails on a black loco, but against the SECR livery? I'll pass thanks. That's when my natural cack-handedness would be bound to rear it's ugly head...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Erm, since when did Bachmann do O, 16mm and G scale???

Looking at the “combined” catalogue, they offer Scenecraft buildings, structures and figures in O gauge and 

16mm and G scale figures.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

On 21/01/2020 at 17:23, John M Upton said:

I want a proper catalogue, I see no point in spending money on a publication two thirds of which is completely irrelevant!

I've always thought the same about previous years' catalogues - two thirds of which are often full of steam era items of which I have no interest in.  Obviously if Bachmann move to a combined catalogue for all scales, then the number of items I'd be interested in would be a smaller proportion of the total products listed, but it's still just the same limited number items that would interest me, which is often only a few dozen items at most - hence why I always leave the catalogue on the shelf.

With regards the "3 month" announcements, I don't think the covering letter that Andy posted necessarily means that this is a long term strategy for future new tooling announcements from Bachmann, but that during the currency of the latest catalogue (or combined edition as it seems to be called), those in the Collectors Club will be given a document every quarter highlighting which of the already announced new tooling items from previous years are scheduled for release in the next three months.  I'm assuming however that this update document will only provide details on 'completely new' models (ie from new tooling) that have already been announced earlier, and will not include reissues of wagons and coaches with new running numbers or livery variations.

If Bachmann are currently working on other new projects (as I'm sure that they are), I'd still expect them to announce these projects further in advance and that in February 2021 or so, we may be greeted by the news that Bachmann are to produce a Class xxx and the announcement will be accompanied by Engineering Prototypes of the model.  In the past they would have put that in this year's catalogue with a photograph of the prototype.  Presumably those in the Collectors Club will then be updated three months before the models are released, but that could be anything from maybe six to twelve months on from the initial announcement.

Overall, I think Bachmann seem to be making the correct choice here.

• Like 1