LNER J10 Project- Converting a J15

Hello there all! I've decided to make my first topic on here since i feel like it'll be a fun project

After searching for a year or so, i managed to locate some diagrams for the LNER J10s, one of my favorite locomotives, and noticed how similar the wheelbase and wheel size are to the affordable Hornby J15.

519557491_GCR_J10_2(1).jpg.f8ada492fec1b262bbb3b73512e0ce74.jpg

I then decided that, since i had a J15 and wasn't going to use it when modelling the Great Central region, that i was going to use it to model the J10.

15197860193_8226dc2667_b.png.08d340d5ab19cbfcb5256953ba0eb616.png

The plan is to reuse the loco chassis and take the electronics from the tender chassis and place them onto 3D printed models, although i'm going to have to learn quite a bit to model them via Blender since Tinkercad doesn't allow the use of images and therefore no diagrams.

In the meantime, here's a photo of the loco chassis posing in front of an ROD tender... (was going to use it originally but couldn't bear to butcher my only O4!)20191203_225438.jpg.339c952acbeb3ae42703583133299b30.jpg

• Like 5

Looks like an interesting concept, I will be following this thread to see how you get on. How will you print the body and in what material? Do you have a home 3D printer or are you planning to order it through an online 3D printing company? Resin 3D printers seem to be good at doing details and the machines are getting quite cheap now but the price per cm^3 adds up fairly quickly.

- Tree

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An interesting project. Choose your subject carefully though. There are lots of detail differences amongst the J10s. For example your drawing shows a loco with a Pollitt 4000 gallon tender and a loco with a small cab cut out to match, whilst the loco in your photo has a larger cut out and a smaller tender. 

Simon

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Tree Man said:

Looks like an interesting concept, I will be following this thread to see how you get on. How will you print the body and in what material? Do you have a home 3D printer or are you planning to order it through an online 3D printing company? Resin 3D printers seem to be good at doing details and the machines are getting quite cheap now but the price per cm^3 adds up fairly quickly.

- Tree

I'm planning on printing it via an Online printing company...unless i can get my hands on an Anycubic Photon

4 hours ago, 65179 said:

An interesting project. Choose your subject carefully though. There are lots of detail differences amongst the J10s. For example your drawing shows a loco with a Pollitt 4000 gallon tender and a loco with a small cab cut out to match, whilst the loco in your photo has a larger cut out and a smaller tender. 

Simon

I am aware, and i plan on building it as the J10 in the blueprints since i couldn't find drawings of the smaller tenders. It'd be a J10/4 under the 1927 subclasses with the bigger tender and height sitting at under 13ft

I hope that can answer both questions, thank you for being interested

K3

• RMweb Premium

I only mention it because my brother and I know the issues from personal experience!  He did a great job of producing one of the 4000 gallon tender ones, only for me to unhelpfully point out that he'd followed the drawing, but the loco he was modelling had a larger cutout as it had been built with a smaller tender. He wasn't best pleased having to take the cab off to trim the cabsides!

Simon

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

blows off dust from old book

Well it has been a while innit?

I'm sure i need to give some much needed updates. The J10 project is still very much a thing, and is happening, but i currently delayed it a bit in the name of something else...

I did manage to get my grubby hands on a Longer Orange 10 printer (basically a photon, but a tad smaller and with apparently higher quality parts, and most importantly, a lower price tag) and have recently been wrestling to get some good prints going on it. So far, i've managed to make the CAD for a freelance Black Hawthorn tank kit on the Peckett B2 though, and have been biting the supports away on the 4th test print attempt (had to work out some resin issues, like it being a lot more bendable and needing larger supports). Printer doesn't seem to like my new resin and i need to get a proper one from a different brand later on, but so far prints have been proving decently promising!

(An example of a better resin included as my other, non-SG project, an On30 Mogul on a 4P chassis)

20200810_225055.jpg

20200811_011747.jpg

20200811_011906.jpg

• Like 1