Southwark Bridge Models, GWR Ballast Hopper diagram P7 in 7mm scale

Western Star

This is proving a difficult kit to build:- small parts, tiny parts, lots of parts....  Anyone built one and might have photos  of either the prototype or the model...  or hints/tips to share?

thank you, Graham

Edited by Western Star

23 hours ago, Western Star said:

This is proving a difficult kit to build:- small parts, tiny parts, lots of parts....  Anyone built one and might have photos  of either the prototype or the model...  or hints/tips to share?

thank you, Graham

If you think it's tricky in 7mm, remember that it started life in 4mm! It is - thanks to the GWR's conservative approach to constructing a ballast wagon of a decent size with any consideration for user convenience or safety* - always going to be tricky if it's to be accurate (is yours the fitted version?). If so there's a decent close-up on the RCTS collection: https://rcts.zenfolio.com/rolling-stock/gwr/ea0fca025

Hope that helps a little?

Adam

EDIT - I think there's an image or two to accompany Geoff Kent's article on the type in MRJ 257. He certainly built one of these, but from a conversion of the Cambrian plastic kit for the Herring.

* The Leeds Forge design that became the BR Trout and provided the design template for Catfish/Dogfish came about at roughly the same time and was bought by the SECR, among others.

Edited by Adam
  • Thanks 1

On 04/12/2019 at 12:02, Western Star said:

This is proving a difficult kit to build:-

It is also a very slooooow build. You reported that you started it in a post on Western Thunder on 24th December 2011! I'll have a look and see what I can find for you. Don't hold your breath!

Dave

Edited by daifly
spellin!
  • Thanks 1

Graham

I presume that you've found Craigw's thread here

Roxey  also have a couple of photos on their website and FB pages 

64f30cdef4b9f982ad98ab044d5debbc.jpg.2460dd9a52971c4d7684e70dfaec6fa2.jpg

12189160_844389172325802_2144727560293252845_n.jpg.6b54a50b8a2ea5f400c03d1a435308b8.jpg

I'll see what other info I can find.

Dave

PM Sent!

Edited by daifly
More info by PM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/12/2019 at 14:40, daifly said:

It is also a very slooooow build.

You have missed the bit on RMWeb where I mentioned that I had lost the instructions - Buffalo sent the 4mm instructions to me.

You have also missed the work involved in moving Top Shed to a new location....

And the effort,  throughout 2018, which went into preparing Scruft's Junction for the S7 Group show at Tickle-N-ham...

:)

Edited by Western Star

1 hour ago, daifly said:

I presume that you've found Craigw's thread here

Roxey  also have a couple of photos on their website and FB pages

Whilst I have found Craig W's topic on RMWeb and a contemporary topic on S4Forum....  I have not seen the two model photos before even though I have found the relevant Roxey page for ordering more models!   The underside view is most helpful in that the details put much of the instructions into context.

Drop the photo URL to me sometime please.

Edited by Western Star

59 minutes ago, Western Star said:

What is the source of this useful photo?

Thank you, Graham

If you click on it, you will end up on Flickr - I meant only to post the URL. Where the original image came from, I'm not sure, but it's rather lovely (if daunting - imagine building 8 or 9 of the things and the accompanying Herrings!).

Adam

• Like 3

Hi Graham,

I don't know whether you've looked out the MRJ article. I've now found my copy and can confirm that it's invaluable with a number of close ups including survivors as late as '63. That does mean that I should at least consider getting one... The photo above appears in it too, attributed to D.G. Thomas and the HMRS.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

Thank you Adam for providing the reference to Geoff Kent's article in MRJ 257 - I know that there is a copy of that issue here, somewhere, just AWOL at this time.

Dave Hammersley has provided a replacement set of instructions and I note some differences by comparison with the 4mm version...  progress can continue.  To date we have assembled the solebars, headstocks, knees behind the headstock, top plates, axleguards and tension rod brackets.  Work on the brake gear has stalled because the V-brackets for the hand brake lever cross shaft are not correct ; the DC3 arrangement requires LH and RH versions of the brackets at either end of the underframe whereas the kit provides just one version of each hanger - new, handed, parts shall be made.  An easier (?) problem to solve is the coupling hook plate on the headstock, the kit provides oval and rectangular plates - the chosen prototype Lot had trapezoid shape plates, new parts required.

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 2