4mm Aircons thoughts about

MJI

• RMweb Premium

I currently have 3 sets, 2 are Airfix and 1 is a couple of Lima with Jouef 3as

I need some more now, a whole train full about 8 to 10.

As usual they are DEF so a mix. But the main vehicles are 2E TSOs and 2D BFKs, could be a 2D or 2F FO or 2D FK, NO BSOs.

I don't want jarring differences so what should I use?

Problem is BFKs force repainting, but I have enough Airfix components to make 2.

So is my answer Airfix again?

Not wishing to be pedantic but which rake are you modelling and which era? It sounds like a Penzance/Plymouth to Edinburgh/Aberdeen in which case you are looking at Mk2e TSOs with Mk2D BFKs until May 1988. From May 1988 Mk2D FK stock seem to have been used more making life a bit easier.

Regarding era, any time from 1986 to 1988 would have mixed blue and grey/executive so the odd repaint is not too much of a problem.

Mk2e stock is always a problem. You could buy Hornby ones, replace the Roevac vents and do the Brian Daniels alteration to the chassis.

• RMweb Premium

This reads a bit like a stealth wanted ad ;)

If it is, drop me a PM, I’ve got a couple of boxes of Lima & Airfix Mk2s and some Joueff Mk3 that (realistically) I’m never going to get around to detailing myself that I might be tempted to convert into beer money...

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Flood said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but which rake are you modelling and which era? It sounds like a Penzance/Plymouth to Edinburgh/Aberdeen in which case you are looking at Mk2e TSOs with Mk2D BFKs until May 1988. From May 1988 Mk2D FK stock seem to have been used more making life a bit easier.

Regarding era, any time from 1986 to 1988 would have mixed blue and grey/executive so the odd repaint is not too much of a problem.

Mk2e stock is always a problem. You could buy Hornby ones, replace the Roevac vents and do the Brian Daniels alteration to the chassis.

Yes it will be one of the big WR sets with twin BFKs brake to brake and usually a 50, not sure if inter regional but have seen similar at Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol. Will be early to mid 80s so all Blue Grey, my newest livery is chocolate cream as I go as new as 1985.

Will probably choose a set with a RBR rather than RU

I have 3 or 4 suitable sets to choose from.

Lickey was mainly 2ABC stuff

Decided to take a new go at the usual chop an Airfix route as whatever is used I will have to repaint them unless they are 100% match to Precision Blue Grey, just bought 3 TSOs off Ebay for under £20 I am going to fill and recut the toilets.

At least it wil match my other WR Aircon and my ER Aircon.

I am aiming for 8 or 9 rakes to go on my railway which is hurtling from being a weekend project to a retirement project. And I started it in my 20s.

3 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

This reads a bit like a stealth wanted ad ;)

If it is, drop me a PM, I’ve got a couple of boxes of Lima & Airfix Mk2s and some Joueff Mk3 that (realistically) I’m never going to get around to detailing myself that I might be tempted to convert into beer money...

Not really mainly thinking aloud. Out of interest what do you have?

My biggest problem is I am getting a bit WCML itchy with an 87, started because one of my Lickey sets was also 86 hauled from New Street, and I have an 86.

• RMweb Premium

Well had a good look through my data and found

3 with 2A 2D BFKs 2 sets were 3/4 the same vehicles including both BFKs

A few had GUVs at one end

Found one set which would HAVE to have a Lima RB* and has TSOs in order EFEDAE

Found an ER set where a 2D TSO needs no renumbering

* Would go as far as Ebay and use Comet sides and Replica bogies, because it HAS to be the Lima one,

Found 3 with 2x 2D BFKs and a GUV, one was EF and RBR, the other ABDEF RBR

All are 45/1 47/4 or 50.

However the worst thing is I need around 10 to 15 2Cs and I have ran out of the funny sized toilet windows

Any 2B with Aircon will end up a back dated Airfix