Airbrush

• RMweb Gold

When I got back into modelling I wanted to try out airbrushing and Model Rail magazine had an offer on for a basic Spraycraft single action, super cheapo airbrush and tiny compressor. I believe it was designed mainly for cake makers and make up artists but it did the job. It  gave me the basics to start with and helped me make the decision to go deeper into it and invest in a better brush and a proper compressor. I didn't want to spend a fortune so went to a show and tested a few out on the Eileen's Emporium stand. They gave really good advice and they suggested either the Iwata Neo or Sparmax 4.  I purchased the Sparmax Max4 for £45. I use this for enamel use, mostly painting loco's and wagon kits. I then got a cheap Ebay generic job which came with spare needles etc for around £20 which I use just for acrylics, mostly for weathering. 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

You'll also need a source of compressed air.  When I bought my first airbrush I got one of these package deals that included a compressor and two airbrushes, all for less that 90 pounds - in fact, I think it was this one - https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-WITH-TANK-AIR-BRUSHES-132---128-AND-HOSE--902734.html.  I'm sure that there are similar deals in the USA.  Somewhat to my surprise the two airbrushes were quite adequate for basic work.  I've since upgraded my airbrushes though I still have the original two that I use for scenery, etc, and I continue to use the compressor which has given excellent service (it's an AS-186,  widely available under various trade names).  I can also recommend Sparmax brushes.

DT

Edited by Torper

TrainzBrains23,      Since you're located in the US you may be interested in Badger Airbrushes which are US-made. Their website has all sorts of good info and advice for many aspects of air brushes and use. I've had a Badger 200 model for 30+ years and it's always been reliable, but with an electric air-compressor and a moisture-trap attachment. The website is: http://www.badgerairbrush.com/        I hope this helps.

Regards,

Graeme

I have a Badger 200 and it is a sound basic airbrush, but is only a single action unit. I rarely use it now as I have two other airbrushes, a Badger 150 and an Iawata TR2, both of which are double action. Both are good airbrushes, but I prefer the Badger simply because as a bottom feed brush you can remove the colour cup and sit it on the bench without the paint running out of it (the Iawata is a side feed).

I would also recommend buying a compressor, a moisture trap (which should be of the type fitted near the airbrush rather than the compressor as the air will have cooled by then allowing the moisture to condense out) and a pressure regulator.