ExGWR mink in the 50s

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

image.jpeg.5430a52c2c32aed3756ea6fb4d8d52c1.jpeg

Hello,

Did these vans survive the 50s or at least run in general traffic? If so, what would have been their livery in the 50/60s?

They are rather handsome.

Cheers

image.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Hi Jack,

A lot of these wagons were rebuilt when the planking started to rot - so you can get a few variants.

1. Ends replaced with the more standard ends with 2 bonnet vents with angle diagonal

2. Doors replaced with later style inside framed vertically planked doors

If both 1 and 2 were done, they looked similar to the later RCH GWR vans. Just a bit smaller and with the earlier Dean Churchward lever brake.

You can use the ends and doors from the parkside PC48 Mink G. I had some spare as I was using the PC48 underframe as a starting point for a long Open C (tube) wagon.

Will

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Parkside's blurb says V12/V14/V16 built 1907-1927, lasted in revenue service until c. 1960, some longer in departmental service. 

The publicity photo for the kit shows DC break gear (although like the Coopercraft kits, without the swan-neck link that actually makes it work). Questions I would ask (as an ignoramus about later Great Western wagons) are, was / when was the DC gear replaced with conventional either-side brakes and does the kit include parts for this?

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Parkside's blurb says V12/V14/V16 built 1907-1927, lasted in revenue service until c. 1960, some longer in departmental service. 

The publicity photo for the kit shows DC break gear (although like the Coopercraft kits, without the swan-neck link that actually makes it work). Questions I would ask (as an ignoramus about later Great Western wagons) are, was / when was the DC gear replaced with conventional either-side brakes and does the kit include parts for this?

The brake gear was not replaced, DC3 usually stayed as built unless later vacuum fitted. it conformed to requirements so there was no real benefit in spending money to replace it . The ends illustrated were rebuilt from the 1920s into the twin vents and they were near universal by the post WW2 years, probably even earlier.

Craig W

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Craigw said:

The brake gear was not replaced, DC3 usually stayed as built

Ah, right, now as see the lever at the RH end both sides. As I said, ignoramus on anything more newfangled than DC1 - even that worries me.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

DC3 didn't use the swan-neck link; that was DC1. V12, V14 and V16 used DC3, V18 used Morton. Atkins et al gives the build dates.

V12 had both vacuum and unfitted variants. V14 was unfitted, v16 was vacuum, and V18 both.

Only V12 had the sliding vents illustrated, and as said they were rebuilt to conventional ends as the shutters wore out.  The remainder were built with twin bonnets. V14, V16 and V18 used GWR self-contained buffers, except for the first lot of V16; that lot and V12 used the buffers illustrated.

Parkside did a 3mm/ft version of this kit, to cover all 4 diagrams. At one point I worked out it was possible to produce 13 main variants, not taking into account ad hoc rebuilds; so far I've built I think 6 :D

Edited by NCB
  • Informative/Useful 1

I completely forgot I posted that on here Compound... thanks for the reminder. I am a shocker at trying to update things everywhere so I concentrate my efforts on my workbench blog on the S4 Forums.  My In laws, who moved in with us about 5 years ago have both passed away this year and I have been very up and down with things as a result. The creative juices are finally starting to bubble again so I must get on and get into things again.

Craig W

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

So the kit is really only suitable for V12 in early condition? Parkside doesn't usually do pre-Grouping!

There's a whole old topic on this kit, featuring a number of the posters to this one:

Whoops! I had V14 and V16 the wrong way around in my above post, now corrected.

Looking at the blurb for the Parkside kit it mentions V12, V14 and V16, so should be OK for all those. If it's like the 3mm kit then it would have alternative ends to cater for both shutters and bonnets. Looks a nice kit; detail is slightly finer than the 3mm one. Tempting ... no, must stick to 3mm!

Nigel

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, NCB said:

Whoops! I had V14 and V16 the wrong way around in my above post, now corrected.

Looking at the blurb for the Parkside kit it mentions V12, V14 and V16, so should be OK for all those. If it's like the 3mm kit then it would have alternative ends to cater for both shutters and bonnets. Looks a nice kit; detail is slightly finer than the 3mm one. Tempting ... no, must stick to 3mm!

Nigel

It does indeed have both end variants included in the kit.

• Informative/Useful 1