Beginners Frustration

Night Train

OK, this is doing my head in. Can someone please advise on the following issues I am having before I give up with this software. :wild:

Inserting a double slip

It appears I cannot change a straight piece of track into a double slip and have to make it a turnout first. However, when I do this, it creates the double slip on the exit branch of the turnout, rather than converting it.

Additionally, as the slip is a collection of discreet parts, it cannot be moved as a single entity to re-position it. How can it be made into a single unit and realigned where I want it?

Permanently joining discreet pieces of track to make a larger unit.

Can it be done? If so how?

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

You didn't say so, but I assume you are asking about Templot. smile.gif

Everything you want can be done quite easily, once you understand the way Templot works. A slip is made up from several components because that is the way the prototype does it. It's best always to be thinking of the prototype when working in Templot and disregard the fact that you will be building a small scale model. Most of the dimensions and settings in Templot are entered in their full-size prototype sizes.

By being made up from prototype components you can have a slip of any angle you wish, and it can be inserted in curved track of any radius -- not just in straight track or a few fixed sizes as you would have in pick-and-place style software.

You will notice that each component template in the slip has been given a prefix tag number on its name. You can use that tag to create a group of templates, which you can then re-position as an entity, or align it with and join it to any other template.

However, it's much better not to do that. In most cases you want to create a slip which is already in its final position so that it aligns with the templates around it. On the same curve, at the same angle, etc. You use the starting turnout to define that final position. If it's a single-slip, the turnout also defines the required side for the slip.

If you found the slip is being created on the branch exit of the turnout instead, you must have clicked make slip crossover instead of make slip. A slip crossover is a very common prototype formation, so Templot has a function to create one directly.

If you give me an hour or two I will make a bit of video showing all the above ideas in practice.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It sounds to me like you're having the same problem I had when starting to use Templot - trying to use it as a point and click conventional Windows-style program, and also as a ready-to-lay track planning program, not unlike Anyrail (which I also use now).

Templot is not, and arguably cannot be, either of the above. It took a while for me to get used to how to do things, and yes I got frustrated too, but once I got my head round it, it made more sense. Templot is for constructing track as per the prototype, as might be done on a more precise scale model, rather than for quickly creating simple RTR track plans (as Anyrail is designed for). So it's never going to be simple. Much pointwork on the prototype is made for its given location and can't easily be transplanted somewhere else, and Templot is very much for that style of track building.

So if you're using Templot for scale track, persevere and you will get there, and you will find Martin Wynne and others here will try to help you through.

If you're just wanting a ready-to-lay planner, I'd suggest a different program such as the likes of Anyrail, Winrail, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

If you give me an hour or two I will make a bit of video showing all the above ideas in practice.

First video now available:

https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=Ndn_TgoI5WNCP_agsZTJYw2

I will make another one shortly showing how to move a slip around and join it to other templates, should that be needed.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Templot is a lot easier to use now than way back when we were on version 0.*, it took me the best part of 4 months to get my head around it,  before it clicked.  Back in those days all slips and tandem turnouts had to be done by making a series of partial templates,  now you can get the basics of those with a click or two.

Once you have the basics, is to proceed by putting your mainline from end to end, if it's double track add the other line and then start adding the turnouts and crossings from there.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi NT,

You asked about creating a slip as an entity and moving it into position. I said I would create a second video showing how to do that, so here it is:

https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=MTd0T1Pp4DIGd5QfbfBqQw2

However, it is really not a good way of working in Templot most of the time. It is much easier to create things in their final position, as in the first video. If it's not right you just delete it and create another one.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2019 at 23:00, Night Train said:

OK, this is doing my head in. Can someone please advise on the following issues I am having before I give up with this software. :wild:

Inserting a double slip

It appears I cannot change a straight piece of track into a double slip and have to make it a turnout first. However, when I do this, it creates the double slip on the exit branch of the turnout, rather than converting it.

Additionally, as the slip is a collection of discreet parts, it cannot be moved as a single entity to re-position it. How can it be made into a single unit and realigned where I want it?

Permanently joining discreet pieces of track to make a larger unit.

Can it be done? If so how?

Thank you.

Why not just build it where you want it, as others have said Templot has become so much easier to use, especially when building slips and 3 ways. Joining Templot club also helps as there are tutorials and Martin and other members are always will to help out with questions

The new slip Tutorial which is now available shows how simple it is to either make a freestanding template or how to add one to a plan