Peco - Have they gone mad?

John M Upton

5 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Ive had a few of the packs of trackside fencing that now come in a little plastic box, but rather than throw the plastic box im reusing them for things like track pins, fishplates etc

That's the thing... People seem to have forgotten the Reuse part of the useful mantra Reduce Reuse Recycle and gone all out for the latter part, when it is often not needed - It is single use plastics that are now seen as wrong (they always were "wrong", but hey), not plastic stuff in general.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, russ p said:

FOUR wheelie bins!! I'm not sure what actually gets sorted and recycled round here all recycling goes in one bin and into the ban lorry.  There have been rumours for a long while that a lot actually goes to landfill 

Yes that is the weakness of the system. There is a lot of discussion about glass in the only recycle bin in Oz. It is claimed that some types of glass contaminate the truck load of recycling and so it goes to landfill. Which rather defeats the point!

A trial is going to be undertaken of a separate bin for glass.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Ive had a few of the packs of trackside fencing that now come in a little plastic box, but rather than throw the plastic box im reusing them for things like track pins, fishplates etc

Well you can reuse them, but how many boxes and the like do you need for track pins, fishplates etc. One will last for years, so where does the endless supply of new ones get reused?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dungrange said:

Do you need an endless supply of track-side fencing?  Surely once you've built the layout you don't need any more.

It isn't just fence packaging, it's everything that is supplied these days. It all comes in plastic these days & usually the plastic used is getting thicker.

I know why this is done, because it protects the product better and reduces complaints about damaged goods.

However, the world is using plastics more and more, yet a low percentage of it, is actually recycled. Western world countries normally put it in tips in a reasonable manner, but a quick search on line reveals major issues with the world's oceans in particular. Usually caused by people dropping all their litter, where they stand.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Yes that is the weakness of the system. There is a lot of discussion about glass in the only recycle bin in Oz. It is claimed that some types of glass contaminate the truck load of recycling and so it goes to landfill. Which rather defeats the point!

A trial is going to be undertaken of a separate bin for glass.

In Nottingham, and maybe other areas too, the public glass recycling bins are/were colour coded, all well and good until the lorry which collects them lifts them up and empties them all into the one loadspace, which seems to defeat the object a tad, although the doorstep glass recycling made no such distinction, we just put it all in one bag regardless of colour.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Ok for insulated fishplates I suppose. :)

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Have to agree, plastic is as easily recycled as cardboard nowadays and probably protects the kite better. What I don't understand is why after so many years of their wagons coming in a foam lined storage box they now arrive in a box twice as big which you can no longer store them in.

Definitely not!

Easier to sort at your doorstep, maybe, absolutely not easier to recycle in the end.

Paper and card most likely gets recycled within the UK, or at least within Europe, into low grade toilet paper, packaging cardboard, or what have you. Plastics almost certainly get baled up and shipped to the far east or other developing nations, where the most easily recognisable PET bottles etc might be sorted out by hand and recycled, and the rest simply dumped. 

Take a look at this clip from the BBC which shows where much UK plastic recycling ends up - with clearly identifiable English local council bags plainly visible: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07c90ff 

J

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The idea is good if the correct recycling is carried out, but if some one disposes of the plastic point packaging other than in a bin, that gives a problem, it is not bio degradable whereas at least the cardboard packaging does degrade away, but the plastic can wash up and down in the tide for years.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, APOLLO said:

With plastic recycling, here in Wigan we have FOUR wheelie bins, Black for general landfill, Green food & garden waste goes to compost, Blue paper, cardboard and card type drink containers and Brown for tins, glass and most plastics. What defines most plastics is a mystery - how do they sort out the different types ? - or do they not ?

Here in East Renfrewshire I also have four bins for the same divisions of waste, although my garden waste bin is brown and green is for plastic and glass ! Whereas in Oxford my Mum only has three bins, plastic/glass/paper etc all going into the one bin. Maybe there should be a common national standard for recycling containers, of all sorts ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Round here plastic recycling is bottles only. Packaging made from the same plastic is not accepted. It comes under "other plastic" which includes types that the local recycling company doesn't handle; or aren't recyclable. A blanket ban on other plastics should prevent these going into the bins. It doesn't of course.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Here in East Renfrewshire I also have four bins for the same divisions of waste, although my garden waste bin is brown and green is for plastic and glass ! Whereas in Oxford my Mum only has three bins, plastic/glass/paper etc all going into the one bin. Maybe there should be a common national standard for recycling containers, of all sorts ?

And as Oxford's bins aren't the same as adjacent South Oxfordshire's it would be quite a task to get it right nationally (green bin in Oxford is general waste bound for landfill; large green bin in South Oxfordshire is for mixed recycling and it's the same in Vale of the White Horse but West Berkshire next door to that has two green bins for different things).   n Move from one to teh other and it takes time to get used to the new system.

• Informative/Useful 1

If people were more rational and genuine in concern about damage to the planet then the rapid and never ending growth in the human population and over consumption would be the main issues (too much motherhood and apple pie)! The global population has already doubled in my lifetime and is forecast do so again, but here we have people worrying about model railway packaging FFS! The UK population alone has grown by 8 million in the last two decades yet people will blame everything and everyone else as we creak under the strain of overcrowding and shortages of housing, and other essential infrastructure and services.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, petethemole said:

Round here plastic recycling is bottles only. Packaging made from the same plastic is not accepted. It comes under "other plastic" which includes types that the local recycling company doesn't handle; or aren't recyclable.

Yes, stupid logic that - you can only recycle it if it's the right shape, even though when recycled it may not end up that shape at all.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Probably not the best person to be openly exploited for political ends then? just sayin'

Why not matey? Someone with Asperger's is as entitled to be 'involved' as anyone else. Exploited.....nah, she is a minor and is well mentored and has her own will too. Think you need to have a little think again about suggesting someone with a 'disability'/condition shouldn't be allowed to get involved in politics, even if you disagree with her motives. Just sayin'

P

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, russ p said:

I didn't know that , sorry if anyone has been offended. 

Its never mentioned if it were she may get a better press

Good man. Not offended at all, just trying to 'stand wih' those that some feel are 'different'. I'm old and grumpy and just want to say something before I no longer have the ability to do so. Nuff said.

ATB

Phil

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

Never thought I'd see that on a model rail forum :O

Never thought I would hear a politician say that "......female athletes were like slippery otters.....!" Yup! Strange old world it be these days.

P

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Broadway Clive said:

If people were more rational and genuine in concern about damage to the planet then the rapid and never ending growth in the human population and over consumption would be the main issues (too much motherhood and apple pie)! The global population has already doubled in my lifetime and is forecast do so again, but here we have people worrying about model railway packaging FFS! The UK population alone has grown by 8 million in the last two decades yet people will blame everything and everyone else as we creak under the strain of overcrowding and shortages of housing, and other essential infrastructure and services.

image.png.dffd2fa38afa9c85bb2fb5a57dd23cf2.png

Just sayin' (again)……...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Broadway Clive said:

The fact is that you and I are doing our bit to over populate the world.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, petethemole said:

Round here plastic recycling is bottles only. Packaging made from the same plastic is not accepted. It comes under "other plastic" which includes types that the local recycling company doesn't handle; or aren't recyclable. A blanket ban on other plastics should prevent these going into the bins. It doesn't of course.

It's the same here. Utterly stupid.

Edit - it's actually worse. Their guide says "Other plastic packaging can be recycled at a plastic bring bank, please see the recycling bank page for details". Said page makes no mention of plastic whatsoever (though it does tell me where I can recycle old shoes and waste electrical items)!

Edited by Nick C

20 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Just think in the year 2525 the kids (???) will be watching cartoons of The teenage mutant ninja Co-Bo Otters !!!

With plastic recycling, here in Wigan we have FOUR wheelie bins, Black for general landfill, Green food & garden waste goes to compost, Blue paper, cardboard and card type drink containers and Brown for tins, glass and most plastics. What defines most plastics is a mystery - how do they sort out the different types ? - or do they not ?

I'm sick of throw away plastic packaging - mostly made from expensive oil, such a waste.  The environmentalists are correct on this point.

Brit15

I don't know the current situation, but it used to all be sent to recycling plants to be sorted by poor sods having to work for their benefits. Thankfully the current government got rid of that idea which was introduced by the other lot as Gordon was still PM when I did it. Doing thirty hour shifts for £70 a week is virtually slavery.

Been there. Done it. Not fun getting up at 4am to travel to Kirkby Industrial Estate to stand next to a conveyor belt and throwing things into different bins. Worse was rancid tins still full of food. Worse still was trying to avoid things that shouldn't be in there such as dog muck and used needles. If I was actually getting paid proper money for it that would be a different matter.

Thankfully I was only doing it for a couple weeks, some people there were doing it for six months and if they refused they would get their money stopped....

So recycling is great. But would you sort it? You've got to consider the people involved in the process more than what environmentalists say. I reckon some of that lot should work in a recycling plant for a year and see the reality.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't see the fuss myself. When I bought my first set of Electrofrog points, they were delivered by a gent driving a Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith, with 2 bowler hatted gents running alongside. The box came in a hand carved Sumatran Teak casket, lined with the finest Chinese silk. 

Aah! The days of empire! Actually, I do try to recycle everything. The big answer would be to legislate against the sale of goods, until the method of disposal is fully dealt with.

Have a great weekend, folks,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2019 at 09:08, Chris M said:

The track packaging is good old cardboard with a bit of wood to protect it which is great but the point packaging has gone from card to plastic. Maybe we should post all the plastic packaging back to Peco . If we all did it, it would send a message.

IMG_20191205_074829.jpg

Top quality glazing material for kit built coaches for free - whats not to like? :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Have to laugh when magazines come in the starch bags(per the RM letter earlier in the thread)...round here they have to go to landfill because our council(south Oxfordshire) use anerobic digesters for food waste and have advised these bags are not compatible....the old plastic bags could go in the recycling...