Clay pigeon trap

Well that's different

Depends on what discipline (s) you want to portray. 

Some like Skeet or DTL / ABT would have the traps(s) hidden in a nice little shelter.  No need for a detailed trap. 

In fact these would be ideal for a layout as they are not that space hungry to be convincing but would need around 25 - 30 cm to fully fit it in, unless of course you just have one Sporting stand.

see: http://fptac.pt/Regulamentos/Standards for Skeet Ranges.pdf

Also remember that the traps in the sporting disciplines  are not necessarily next to the shooters and there is by necessity some space beyond the targets, or banking, for safety reasons. 

If I had a mind to do the same, Skeet would be my choice as it would have a better visual impact IMO and wouldn't necessarily need any figures to see what it was. 

And the most important of all is the clubhouse. These vary from old farmhouses, purpose built single storey buildings and  Portakabins to grounded van bodies or a combination of these. 

Whatever you decide to do, remember that safety is taken very seriously at shooting grounds and you need to consider the shooting lines  on your model (no buildings, car parks trains, roads or people in the firing line) and that only the person shooting will be holding a closed gun and pointing  it towards the targets

Andy

Edited by SM42
for more info

No probs.

Hopefully some pictures will follow.  Sounds an interesting and unusual project. Looking forward to see how this goes. 

I may steal the idea now, if you don't mind, it has planted a seed for a distracting diorama (no trains) and got me thinking about some of the interesting scenic challenges it could present and how to overcome them , but whether that seed  germinates is another thing entirely

Andy