Architectural advice sought

I'm making a yard office - non-uk , circa 1970/80.

It's is a VERY heavily modified US kit. The original came with a roof which sat inside the walls and I have copied that design in the mock-up shown below. But before I fixed the roof permanently I was just wondering what are the issues here? Why wouldn't this building have a roof that sat on top of the walls and overhung them?

DSC_0245.JPG.8444ec2e591be6aa3ef2723e3971c384.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Appart  from cost, one thought that comes to mind is resistance to very strong winds - Hurricanes and Tornados in the States and Typhoons in China.  An overhanging roof simply gives a lever point for the wind to work against and rip the whole roof off.

That design of roof is purley for asthetic purposes. It is fairly common put is prone to leakage problems if not built correctly.  Things to consider are the top edge of the wall need to represent the full wall thickness. In the UK this would be at least 9 inches or 3mm in 4mm scale it also sometimes has capping stones on it. Drainage also needs to be considered. Again for asthetic purposes the drain pipe was often internal to the building but this is another source of leakage problems. A quick search on Google found this website which may help.

https://www.ikopolymeric.com/drainage-rainwater-outlets/

Andy replied while I was typing this and his comments are valid but this type of roof exists in the UK where strong winds are not a consideration.

Stu