Longer screws for Kadee No 5's

I am in the process of fitting kadee's to my British outline wagons to use on my Inglenook shunting layout. I am cutting off the old tension lock mountings, filing the chassis flat and screwing the kadee's into the bit of hole that remains. The problem I am finding is that the screws supplied with the original tension locks aren't always long enough so I need to either get longer screws or glue the boxes to the underframe. I would rather screw than glue, but I don't know which screws to use, so I was hoping someone could advise thread size and length, please?

Thanks

48 minutes ago, Tony Davis said:

I am in the process of fitting kadee's to my British outline wagons to use on my Inglenook shunting layout. I am cutting off the old tension lock mountings, filing the chassis flat and screwing the kadee's into the bit of hole that remains. The problem I am finding is that the screws supplied with the original tension locks aren't always long enough so I need to either get longer screws or glue the boxes to the underframe. I would rather screw than glue, but I don't know which screws to use, so I was hoping someone could advise thread size and length, please?

Thanks

Tony,

I think you will find that the hole in the draft box is 2mm, but I always use a smaller size screw to give a bit of 'adjustment'. The ones I use are from ModelFixings.com and are No 0 Phillips Pan Head Black Finish Self Tappers x 6.4mm lg (MF-ST30B). The black colour is good to hide the screwhead. If you are pushed for space I also use No 0 Phillips Countersunk Head Self Tappers x 6.4mm lg (MF-ST55) as these install flush with the surface of the draftbox.

At 6.4mm long they leave plenty to screw into the wagon body. When I do find them a tad too long, I just trim their length with some side-cutters.

You can see how the MF-ST55 countersunk screws look in my layout page at:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133913-burton-on-trent-south-rolling-stock/&do=findComment&comment=3669355

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony 

Just to add to the above I’ve used self tapping screws , I’ve bought them off Modelfixings.co.uk MF-STO9B

No2x 6.4mm lg Phillips head steel Black self tappers , you get a 100 for a very reasonable price.

Dennis

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, RobjUK said:

For info, 8BA screws are exactly the same OD (0.086") as the 2-56 UNC screws Kadee recommend for the #5 coupling.

You can easily get those in many sizes and head styles on ebay etc.

I started by using with M2 screws and nuts, but later found that No.0 self-tapers are much easier to install.