LMS (L&NWR?) 10ton wagon No. 226327

nicktamarensis

Hello,

I am attempting to add a caption to the attached photo taken by Ted West at Exmouth Junction shed on 22 August 1950.  The photo will eventually appear in British Railways Illustrated as part of the Workaday Wagon series.

I am assuming the one plank wagon to be of L&NWR origin but renumbered by the LMS and presumably awaits its BR number (if it survived that long enough!).  Any info on the Diagram type, number produced etc would be very welcome.  If L&NWR, I assume the wagon was built at Earlestown Works.

Many thanks,

Nick.

R1052.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe this is LNWR diagram 103, built from 1910 to 1921 - at grouping, there were 5,964 of them. They will all have been built at Ealestown. They seem to have been popular for container traffic in the 1930s - some were converted to have drop sides for this traffic but there are photos of ones with fixed sides like the one in the photo, with a container. Other LMS numbers are in the 20xxxx range. 

Ref. LNWR Wagons Vol. 1 (C. Northedge, ed. Wild Swan, 2001).

If you are going to be doing a lot of wagon spotting, the LNWR Wagons series must be an essential part of your library.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

@hmrspaul, I note the Derby Registers reference there, from which I conclude that the similar photo in LNWR Wagons Vol. 1 is DY 15886, both being dated 16 Oct 1929.

Out of curiosity, I see you claim copyright on an image in the NRM collection - is the copyright in the particular print that you have purchased from the NRM?

Thanks very much for the info, gentlemen. 

I agree that the three volumes on L&NWR wagons would be a must for regular sleuthing (even at £100 plus!) and I will invest in them if I get called on to do more for the company's wagons.  This was the first one which had cropped up with all the others in this batch of Ted West images being mainly LMS (pure)/LNER/SR (and constituents)/BR examples all of which I have the books on.

Thanks again.

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to point out the D-shaped LMS numberplate (on the solebar, just to the right of the brake V-hanger) that has replaced to original rectangular LNWR numberplate.

According to R.J. Essery and K.R. Morgan, The LMS Wagon (David & Charles, 1977), the LMS renumbered LNWR wagons by adding 200,000 so I suppose we can presume this wagon was originally numbered 26327. 

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

@hmrspaul, I note the Derby Registers reference there, from which I conclude that the similar photo in LNWR Wagons Vol. 1 is DY 15886, both being dated 16 Oct 1929.

Out of curiosity, I see you claim copyright on an image in the NRM collection - is the copyright in the particular print that you have purchased from the NRM?

No one can claim copyright on such an old photo. Mine did not come from NRM and is marked, as were many official photos, suitable for reproduction. Unfortunately Zenfolio doesn't allow separation of copyrights and this scan predates the latest complicated edition of the copyright legislation which has made every photographers life even more complicated. You don't have to look at my photos.

Paul

• Thanks 1