Red Bunker on a Fairburn 4MT

Aire Head

• RMweb Premium

I've tweaked the image (contrast and saturation) which shows just how straight and even the bottom edge is.

1271211573_redbunker.jpg.a65a6307312a8acee83d0b55139afab8.jpg

I'm pretty sure its paint rather than rust. The top edge I believe just shows the usual grime which accumulates in corners which if I'm right would suggest it's had the red top for some time. If you zoom into the photo there's a hint that the corresponding section of the two upper vertical handrails may also be the same colour as the bunker top.

591031120_redbunkerenlarged.jpg.8b5f57cf61dc0bcd0a7b06495684ecb9.jpg

Haven't a clue why though.

The problem here seems to me that all the colours are wrong. There is a strong green on the back of the bunker in addition to the red and the sides of the tanks are a very flat brown without the 'sparkle' of the rusty colours you would expect. I'm wondering if some herbert has been messing about with filters in the dark room.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The problem here seems to me that all the colours are wrong. There is a strong green on the back of the bunker i

The original photo on FB doesn't look like that. I've taken a copy and reset the colour balance slightly to the headlamp and this is the result.985328445_Fairburnwhitebalance.JPG.3cae89f8b8e32213c3a5a2d6d9b68502.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The problem here seems to me that all the colours are wrong. There is a strong green on the back of the bunker in addition to the red and the sides of the tanks are a very flat brown without the 'sparkle' of the rusty colours you would expect. I'm wondering if some herbert has been messing about with filters in the dark room.

Cheers

Could be just the way that old colour film deteriorates. Agfa film in particular tended to go green.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Cheers

The green tint has come about through Neil altering the contrast and saturation in the post above. The photographer Dave Hill's original FB post, which is the photo at the start of the topic, has a slight blue cast on my screen but not much compared with many slides of that age.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The green tint has come about through Neil altering the contrast and saturation in the post above. The photographer Dave Hill's original FB post, which is the photo at the start of the topic, has a slight blue cast on my screen but not much compared with many slides of that age.

Absolutely; though the colours have drifted some way from the original I did it to highlight the shape and regularity of the red patch.  I'd obviously not recommend my doctored image as a painting guide but I find that playing about with saturation and contrast can bring out hidden shapes and detail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't know how much we can tell with that image. A new scan into a lossless format would be helpful: I'm seeing a lot of jpeg artifacts especially when enlarged. The top  of the red does look to me as if it could very easily be black paint peeling off primer, but I'm at a loss to explain the apparently sharp line at the bottom. 

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, JimC said:

I don't know how much we can tell with that image. A new scan into a lossless format would be helpful: I'm seeing a lot of jpeg artifacts especially when enlarged. The top  of the red does look to me as if it could very easily be black paint peeling off primer, but I'm at a loss to explain the apparently sharp line at the bottom. 

Straight edge mentioned about 100 pages ago.

On 06/12/2019 at 23:01, doilum said:

They repaired it because it was needed. An afternoon and a fivers worth of steel meant that they were not a loco short on the rosta.

Is it repaired though?

No panels there on a Fairbairn tank bunker and would they bother fitting beading? So cutting out a section of bunker, removing the handrails and beading, fitting new steel and then replacing everything. On a locomotive scheduled for scrapping?

If you can do that in an afternoon then I reckon quite a few heritage railways would be interested in your services.   :)

It's either rust/dirt or a bit of red lead.

Jason

8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Is it repaired though?

No panels there on a Fairbairn tank bunker and would they bother fitting beading? So cutting out a section of bunker, removing the handrails and beading, fitting new steel and then replacing everything. On a locomotive scheduled for scrapping?

If you can do that in an afternoon then I reckon quite a few heritage railways would be interested in your services.   :)

It's either rust/dirt or a bit of red lead.

Jason

Hence my second narrative.

That there are several warning panels for OHL within the red area says to me that it an experiment to warn stafff not to climb up the bunker steps,  why for this loco when there is no OHL in the  Bradford / Leeds area?  What was the allocation history of the locomotive,  was a it previously shedded  in a locality of OHL?