Southampton Model Railway Soc Exhibition

- Southampton Model Railway Exhibition

Sat 25th - Sun 26th January 2020

Barton Peveril College, Chestnut Avenue, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO50 5ZA

OPENING TIMES:  SAT 10am -5pm, SUN 10am -4.30pm
ADMISSION:  Adults £8.00  Concessions £8.00  Children £1.00  Family £17.00 

Barton Peveril College is about 1 1/2 miles from M3 Junc 13 or M27 Junc 5 and will be AA signed from shortly after the junctions. Please use SO50 5BX for SatNav. Eastleigh and Southampton Airport Parkway stations are both about 25 mins walk. Buses - A free heritage bus service will run between the College and Eastleigh and Southampton Airport Parkway Stations approximately every half hour from 9.30am. Please see our website for timetable and details of other bus routes that serve the venue.

List of Layouts Attending :

Ackthorpe - OO Gauge - BR NER 1955-60
Grantham - OO Gauge - LNER 1930s
Calderwood - OO Gauge - Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly
Folly Lane - OO Gauge - Post Privatisation Mid 1990s
Shepherds Lane - OO Gauge -BR WR 1950s/60s
Horsebridge Wharf - EM Gauge SR 1930s
Susianporth - EM Gauge - GWR/SR 1930s
Sandford & Banwell - P4 - GWR 1930s
Elcot Road - P4 - BR Network South East
Lakebank - 3mm Finescale - LMS
Lightermans Yard - 2mm Finescale - BR 1950s
Danbee - O Gauge - GWR 1930s
Hayden Square - O Gauge - BR Er
Holcombe Brook - O Gauge Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly
Plaxtol Road - O Gauge - Col. Stephens Light Railway
Melton Mowbray North - N Gauge - BR LMR 1950s
Millfield Yard - N Gauge - BR 1990s
Spanker Lane - N Gauge
Tuxedo Junction - N Gauge American
Pynton Tramway Company - O-9 Narrow Gauge
Wickhambreux Road - OO9 Narrow Gauge
Childrens' Layout - OO Gauge
List of Demonstrations : List of Other Displays :

DCC & Computer Control - David Townend & Friends
Merg
Kit Building in 4mm Scale - Tony Wright
Etched Kit Building in 7mm Scale - Mike Russell
Modelling in 2mm Finescale - Jerry Clifford
Weathering - Elliott Cowton
Philip Hall (Subject to be Confirmed)
Jonathn & Ian Buckie (Subject to be Confirmed)
Last Updated 25th November 2019 EM Gauge Society
Gauge O Guild
Great Western Study Group
RCTS Eastleigh Branch (To be Confirmed)
Scalefour Society
South Western Circle
Southern Railways Group
Southampton MRS Model Display
Southampton MRS Members' Sales
2mm Association Roadshow (To be Confirmed)
Traders

Attwood Aggregates
B H Enterprises / Buzz Models
Bill Hudson Transport Books (New This Year)
C & L Finescale Track Building Systems
Cheltenham Model Centre
Crecy Publishing
Eileen's Emporium
Freestone Model Accessories
Gramodels
Greenscene
H & A Models
Masterpiece Figures
Model Railway Developments
Model Railway Solutions
Railroom Electronics
Ron-Lines Model Railways
Roxey Mouldings
Sunningwell Command Control
Wessex Wagons
Weston Models

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to being in the demonstration rooms again this year with the weathering gear.

I will be spending a chunk of the Festive Season in the workshop sorting out the next batch of coaches and wagons that need to be weathered, wish me luck!

Elliott

• Friendly/supportive 1

I hate to criticise, but it’s pretty much the same dull trade offerings again....and again.

As my nearest and biggest local show, I nearly always attend, but I’ve skipped one or two in recent years.

I’ve also turned away and driven back home after failing to find any parking within a reasonable distance.

Looking at the list of layouts and trade presence above, I’m 50/50 about going to this January’s event.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I hate to criticise, but it’s pretty much the same dull trade offerings again....and again.

As my nearest and biggest local show, I nearly always attend, but I’ve skipped one or two in recent years.

I’ve also turned away and driven back home after failing to find any parking within a reasonable distance.

Looking at the list of layouts and trade presence above, I’m 50/50 about going to this January’s event.

I would say that is a very balanced list of traders for most modelling needs. What would you be expecting to see that isn’t there?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2019 at 09:54, Ron Ron Ron said:

To be honest, with that sort of attitude, I don't think you'll be missed.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Those of us who don’t get the chance to visit many shows would find the published lineup most comprehensive and inviting. Traders are an important part of the show, but hardly the defining attribute. The layouts and demos are what inspire us, the trade is there to capitalise on what we’ve seen and fancy trying. In the Internet era, finding what you want online is hardly a challenge.

Clearly My Mileage Does Vary!

• Agree 1

On 23/12/2019 at 15:59, nickwood said:

I would say that is a very balanced list of traders for most modelling needs. What would you be expecting to see that isn’t there?

To say it’s a balanced list of traders is a fair point Nick.
It’s just my personal view that many on that list, who are there year after year, generally don’t offer much, if anything to interest me.

Other people’s mileage will vary etc, etc.

I have bought a number of items from the trade at the Southampton show, in the past, but it has recently just been books, of which I have far too many already (I just can’t resist :rolleyes:)

What would I expect to see?

I really couldn’t say to be honest. There’s so much variety out there, but I have no idea about the ins and outs of booking them up for a show.

I hope the event is a success, regardless.

17 hours ago, queensquare said:

To be honest, with that sort of attitude, I don't think you'll be missed.

Jerry

After I had made my earlier post, I wondered how long it would take for someone to post a snide comment.

It’s common practice for some to show zero tolerance towards personal opinions and to misrepresent the tone in which they were expressed.

For the record, I do not believe I have posted with any “sort of attitude” about this show.

Nick (above) kindly asked me what I’d rather see there, which I think is a fair and reasonable question to ask me.

You have resorted to abuse.

Ron

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

After I had made my earlier post, I wondered how long it would take for someone to post a snide comment.

It’s common practice for some to show zero tolerance towards personal opinions and to misrepresent the tone in which they were expressed.

For the record, I do not believe I have posted with any “sort of attitude” about this show.

Nick (above) kindly asked me what I’d rather see there, which I think is a fair and reasonable question to ask me.

You have resorted to abuse.

Ron

I dont think my reply was either snide, misrepresentative or abusive but if you do then that's your opinion which you are perfectly entitle to.

All I can say is that if you put up a wholly negative post about what, in my opinion I an excellent show, then you shouldn't be surprised at getting a negative response.

Jerry

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, queensquare said:

I dont think my reply was either snide, misrepresentative or abusive but if you do then that's your opinion which you are perfectly entitle to.

All I can say is that if you put up a wholly negative post about what, in my opinion I an excellent show, then you shouldn't be surprised at getting a negative response.

Jerry

If you thought that my post wholly negative and felt the urge to respond, you could have said you disagreed with me and maybe even said why, or asked me why I thought this way.

Instead you replied with “To be honest, with that sort of attitude, I don't think you'll be missed.”

Hardly constructive, totally not any sort of counter argument and in fact quite insulting and abusive.

I happen to think this show is generally quite good.
In the past I have seen some excellent and inspirational layouts there.

I simply commented that I personally found the trade presence rather predictable and repetitive. Others no doubt disagree.

Personally speaking, there’s  nothing in the list of this year’s layouts that immediately grabs me, off the page, as in layouts I’d really like to see, or see again.
Then again, there are a number of layouts attending that I don’t know, some of which I might find to be really pleasing, even if they’re not covering my own areas of interest.

Hence my 50/50 comment about whether I’m inclined to attend or not.

Whether or not I intend to visit the show, I hope it’s a great success and gives pleasure to those who attend.

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Is the parking readily accessible at this event or is there a quieter time to visit? 

Car full of OAPs is the reason for asking.

Cheers and thanks

JB

• RMweb Gold

Parking is a bit limited on site so in the morning you can end up street parking in an adjoining road. In the afternoon you generally get in the college car park although it’s a labyrinth in itself, most spaces hidden from view around the back, and nearly as far as some of the nearby street parking. Well worth the effort though :) 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 09:54, Ron Ron Ron said:

That looks like a fairly useful list of traders to me.

And yes, Southampton is a pretty car-unfriendly place when it comes to on-street parking. It's not alone though. Many councils are looking at ways to gain revenue from parking charges.

7 hours ago, petethemole said:

The show is in Eastleigh rather than Southampton, a different local authority, but with a similar attitude.  The site has car parks but is in a residential area with little spare on-street parking capacity. 

I've never had a problem parking, if I have not been able to find a space at the college then there has always been spaces in the surrounding area.

To me this is a must go to exhibition, there are always a few layouts from further afield and there is a good balance of trade.

Well worth everyone's support.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been to the show several times and sometimes found the parking problem. I always enjoyed this show previously and hope to go this year.

Nowadays I have a Blue Badge, is there any parking for those of us who cannot get about as well as most?

Some changes to the list of attendees;

Demonstrators & other displays;  RCTS and 2mm Roadshow are confirmed

Phil Hall is demonstrating 4mm coaching stock

Jonathan & Ian Buckie will be demonstrating the use of CAD for etching, laser cutting & 3D printing

Traders - added are Transport Treasury Publishing and R.G.Connor Signs & Graphics. 

Masterpiece Models is unable to attend due to a hand injury.

Car parking - in addition to on-site parking there is street parking nearby as follows.  The long layby in Chestnut Avenue is free at weekends.  Street parking to the south (Southampton side) of Chestnut Avenue is not restricted at weekends.  That to the north of the college (Eastleigh side) is restricted on Saturdays but is largely unrestricted on Sundays.

• Like 3

Five day adventure in total for us but looking forward to bringing Grantham to 'foreign lands'.

DSC04700_LR.jpg.0b7ef954d8cc7610748118a8980c419d.jpg

DSC04711_LR.JPG.161c306199a2aa17d08cdce0a4ee12f4.JPG     DSC04719.JPG.fde2259fedab0838d535b106c9298921.JPG

Re transport / parking, I gather from show blurb that there is a free, heritage shuttle bus operating half hourly twixt venue and Eastleigh & Southampton Airport Parkway railway stations.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Kim and I will be at Southampton demonstrating loco building in 2FS - plus a bit of structure modelling. I will have the under construction Midland shed scene from my Bath Queen Square layout.

Looking forward to a good weekend at what is always a very good show.

Jerry

1890331848_20190916_114552(2).jpg.709ace19813bf1fe034882ddcef9e689.jpg

57624954_20190916_114814(2).jpg.72a25461877f64e2e62bfc079ecbd944.jpg

20190916_114828.jpg.e4f45862578901733bef0b8813c49af1.jpg

506879329_JerryClifford01.jpg.addb3bb0ef99f7dbd79479d46b13b22a.jpg.0c168ffa21d7960d6c8c8469352304ce.jpg

• Like 4