Buffer Stops c1991 Small Terminus

Guest MM1991

Hi

I'm planning a small Minories style layout, set in an urban area with passenger services handled mainly by 2nd gen DMU's (Pacers/Sprinters).

Im wondering if the platform buffer stops should be traditional style or the Rawie style (as peddled by Accurascale)?  Looking at photos online is showing various scenarios!

MM

Thanks for the replies folks, sorry I didnt make it clear that Im modelling the period circa 1991 - would there still be a mix?

For instance Rawie on the 'main' line roads and traditional on a bay platform?

I'd say that buffers installed in an earlier era would only have been replaced either when they were damaged and irreparable or there was some other station modernisation work that was undertaken which meant that new everything was specified.  As such, I think it's up to you what your back storey is.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The variant of the Rawie buffer stop modelled by Accurascale were (apparently) introduced in the early '90s.  Not something I recall seeing many of when I was trainspotting in the late 80s and early 90s - I'd suggest you want more traditional types; precisely what may depend on the region modelled.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dungrange said:

I'd say that buffers installed in an earlier era would only have been replaced either when they were damaged and irreparable or there was some other station modernisation work that was undertaken which meant that new everything was specified.  As such, I think it's up to you what your back storey is.

1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

The variant of the Rawie buffer stop modelled by Accurascale were (apparently) introduced in the early '90s.  Not something I recall seeing many of when I was trainspotting in the late 80s and early 90s - I'd suggest you want more traditional types; precisely what may depend on the region modelled.

Thanks again for the replies.  The area is Greater Manchester, slightly run down station environs.

I dont remember seeing them myself much then, but I was in Edinburgh at the time, I think Ill just stick with traditional types

Thanks again

MM

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MM1991 said:

Thanks for the replies folks, sorry I didnt make it clear that Im modelling the period circa 1991 - would there still be a mix?

For instance Rawie on the 'main' line roads and traditional on a bay platform?

probably. The Rawie friction stop was introduced from the late 80’s

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MM1991 said:

Thanks again for the replies.  The area is Greater Manchester, slightly run down station environs.

I dont remember seeing them myself much then, but I was in Edinburgh at the time, I think Ill just stick with traditional types

Thanks again

MM

If your going for the “run down” look, then stick with traditional buffers as it would be more in keeping of a station in need of refurbishment.

Plenty of old bufferstops about yet, there's an old Caledonian one just a few miles from me still in use beside the West Coast main line in Glasgow and other places still have older bufferstops in the bay platforms and sidings ets. So for the 90s there would still be plenty about even pregroup types.

Dave Franks

For 26 types of bufferstop see our website below.

Edited by davefrk
Link not working.