Zach's 7mm Workbench - Going Great Western, Back to Swindon

nsl714

• RMweb Gold

Hi Zach, welcome to the forum and 7mm modelling. You are a man after my own heart doing GWR. It looks like you are off to a flying start. The wagons look great as does the weathering. I joined the forum just a year ago now and have made some good friends as a result.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the note Ade, I appreciate it. Your Malmesbury thread is one that I've been following for a while, it's a neat little layout.

I finished the brass work on the Loriot today, and tinned all the areas ready for the whitemetal castings. Tomorrow I'll see whether I can solder the castings on or melt them off!

228071092_LoriotWIP2.jpg.88881338a530068cf3dad46e86e253af.jpg

Thanks,

Zach

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil. I've not massively messed up anything so far, so I have high hopes to keep it up. There's lots of talented folk on here for wisdom and inspiration.

I managed to get all the whitemetal castings on the Loriot, and I didn't melt anything! So that's now done.6802240_LoriotWIP3.jpg.34d7c8bd6d02cdf656deb84415b17670.jpg

This was certainly a fun learning experience, and I look forward to doing more. It was a straightforward and well done kit. I like the way Jim set up the sprung buffers in particular, that works well. I'm probably going to wait until all 3 brass wagons are done to attempt painting, so the Loriot will stay this way for a little bit. The Macaw will be next, starting sometime in the next week or two when I have some spare time. I also need to think about what to put on the Loriot...maybe a traction engine or roller?

-Zach

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Zach.

One thing to check is the weighting of the wagons. NRMA standards don't apply here. The Gauge O Guild recommends that wagons should weigh at least 1 gram per 1mm length over the buffers, and no wagon should weigh less than 125 grams. Or about 1 ounce per 1 inch length of wagon, over the buffers. Also, with goods vehicles, there should be about 3mm or 1/8" gap between the buffers on straight track. This will help prevent derailments on curves.

Otherwise, it is the usual case, of read instructions, take things one step at a time and if something seems wrong, check it. Have fun with British prototype modelling!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tip on weight Martin, I was previously unaware of the UK weight standards. All the Parkside wagons will need it, as they are quite light. I think I can fit tire balance weights or similar under all of them to get them to the proper weight.

I'm back at it attacking the next Connoisseur kit on the (albeit very small) pile, a Macaw H. I sort of eased into it earlier this week by cleaning up the whitemetal trucks and buffers. Those are now soldered together and ready for the body. As the instructions point out, it took some adjustment to get the wheel bearings into the sideframes and let the stretcher sit neatly between them. Luckily I didn't go through the front of the journal boxes with the drill!

1744189842_MacawWIP2.jpg.5c6362303d9259a8b3176b16fd542a1c.jpg

After soldering those tonight, I started the body. I do not have the bending bars made yet, but I can definitely see the virtue of having them. These were pretty tricky folds, and some of the first ones still aren't the neatest. You can see the waviness in the upper lip all the way around. Still, it got better and I figured it out as it went along. Brass soldering should continue tomorrow.

222647301_MacawWIP1.jpg.572ffb3f40e3d649b2c189127d2b5222.jpg

-Zach

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Over the ensuing week I've completed building the Macaw. Not many photos taken, but this generally followed the instructions. The lamination of the solebar overlay was somewhat challenging, but after some liberal flux application (and retinning of the soldering iron tip), they eventually stuck. The lashing rings are a neat trick with split pins that work really well.

999167219_MacawWIP5.jpg.a065b96ff7d5d2da440b865a6ab8cd94.jpg

The underframe also went together relatively easy. This photo was before I realized the brake pin guides were slightly in the wrong place.

1803228091_MacawWIP6.jpg.79b897dae8dbf20dbbe00e0ead4798fb.jpg

And finally, the finished wagon. It's been another fun build, and my confidence is definitely rising on the soldering. The Toad will be done sometime after the holidays. At that point I can think about painting. I'm also contemplating where to go from here with kits. An engine sounds awfully nice...

1162325489_MacawWIP4.jpg.839a9089fa6ae887b68fb38bad69ac7c.jpg

-Zach

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's a new year and there's more building to be done. I foolishly broke one of the stanchions off the Macaw, so they've been replaced as suggested in the instructions with brass rod.I've been moving slowly forward on the Toad as well. It was a new challenge to get the thing square, but in the end it has paid off. The handrails were surprisingly therapeutic to bend and fit.

1960018416_ToadWIP3.jpg.b3a523a313b324b913de351cbd72cc2d.jpg

I have also attempted to do as the instructions suggest and make the roof fit like a snuff can lid. It's made out of scraps of the edge of the etch, so it's not pretty, but it does the job. Some more adjustment is needed though. I'm contemplating adding a bit more brass to the sides in the same manner the ends have been done, that might stay it on better.

1213939748_ToadWIP2.jpg.2ef08e93add7725d9fdf5c81d6abdc81.jpg

Thanks,

Zach

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On my 2mm scale Toad, I used a small magnet to retain the roof with bits of plastic sheet in the corners to ensure it remained square (plastic and magnet attached to roof and 0.5mm thin steel glued inside the cabin for the magnet to act on)

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a good idea Ian, I might use that one on a Slater's Siphon that is also proving difficult to keep the roof on.

The Toad finally was finished these past few nights. Upon examination, the buffers at the veranda end were a bit wall-eyed. Now filled and re-drilled, they're much better.

1353201803_ToadWIP4.jpg.a10d17fe69bad5c2814a4ae6e2512b07.jpg

1431136498_ToadWIP5.jpg.990a0cb125f8981bd541976766d9e27f.jpg

That completes all three Connoisseur wagon kits I initially purchased. It's been a very enjoyable experience and I'm itching to tackle some more brass kits. Hopefully I'll find a time when it's relatively warmer in the next month or so to get these three primed and painted. In the meantime, it's time to go back to the gaggle of Parkside wagons, finish weathering them, and try to add a bit of weight. Hopefully the Dapol 48xx isn't too far off on the horizon either.

Thanks,

Zach

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

A bit of paint makes everything look much better...or reveals all the imperfections!

1475657376_MacawWIP7.jpg.4fd583f4600f8741863ef4b41d372aa6.jpg

Primer is now on all three wagons, and the quest begins for GWR Wagon Grey. I have a pot of Railmatch Acrylic (one of about a half dozen I imported at great cost), though the pot is sort of depleted after the Parkside wagons. I did make a sample card for it (along with a nice selection of others. GWR Green, Coach Brown and Cream, Southern Olive, etc). I'll probably go to a local hardware store and experiment with an acrylic of some sort. The grey does not need to be exact in this case, but the hope is I can settle in on a decent tintable paint that works before I need to paint something requiring more precision, like say an engine or carriage. More to follow...

Zach

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello all,

I have a small update to the Conniosseur wagons after some months away. All three have now been painted and await transfers from HMRS, which may be a while given the current global situation. I ended up shrinking away from custom mixed paint for the time being, and instead opted for Humbrol 67 "Tank Grey" on the Loriot and Toad, which I think look perfectly acceptable. These will of course get some weathering once transfers are applied. I'm also contemplating a load for the Loriot, on which I think a 10 Ton Aveling and Porter roller may fit if my research of these wagons and their capacity is correct.

761389035_LoriotandToad.JPG.60d258222b64a71f8557c8bdbc8ae155.JPG

The Macaw on the other hand retains the Railmatch GWR wagon grey, of which there is more in the pot left than I first realized. I also made a start on a timber load for the Macaw. The initial attempt is two piles of ~16' timbers in 6"x6" and 6"x12" sizes. I'm not 100% certain if these would be appropriate loads, particularly with the smaller 6"x6", which may be better suited for one of the Parkside open wagons. As a result nothing is glued yet, and any thoughts/suggestions are certainly welcome! I have found a copy of Russell's book on GWR wagon loads, so we shall see what information that holds as well.

Macaw.JPG.f803165505e9c7ed80a4d91662560869.JPG

As to what's next, I certainly feel the itch to continue on with something else in the meantime. I have managed to contact Scorpio Models, and golly they have a nice GWR selection there that I would of otherwise not known about! I'm thinking a Siphon F may be a good next project...

Thanks,

Zach

• Like 9

17 hours ago, nsl714 said:

Hello all,

......As a result nothing is glued yet, and any thoughts/suggestions are certainly welcome! I have found a copy of Russell's book on GWR wagon loads, so we shall see what information that holds as well.

Thanks,

Zach

Very nice work and I'm sure more to come which I for one shall enjoy seeing.

Why not leave the loads removeable so if you fancy a change it can easily be done.

Gives variety. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all for the kind words! Generally, I'm pretty happy with how they came together. The rails on the Toad took some work in particular, so I'm glad their straightness shows.

As to the load on the Macaw, I suppose I misspoke. I entirely agree that they should be removable. I do intend to glue each together though so they stay as rather solid piles of balsawood. Pending the GWR freight book arriving I think I will approximately double the height of each pile before lashing down. The book cover shows a rather nice load of some sort of timber stacked high on a Macaw, so I have cause to proceed down this route at least.  I need to get more balsawood I think....

I did successfully phone Scorpio today for the Siphon F, so that should be turning up at some point. Mr. Ennis had commentary similar to that which I've seen elsewhere, that kit sales are on the up as folk are looking for something to do. So that's one small bright point in this whole situation. Although I get a feeling I need to work on my "English" English a bit, we both struggled at times to understand each other! :blush:

More to come soon.

Thanks,

Zach

• Like 4

Sorry Zach, it's probably not just your "English" English - my Dad's hearing is not what it used to be (he'll be 87 in May). As you said, plenty of people are ordering kits right now but as I do all the IT bits and photocopying and he has the kits and does all the posting and we live 5 miles apart - communication and getting bits to him isn't so easy at the moment..... stay safe everybody.

...and by the way - you've done fantastic so far - Connoisseur was a good starting point for etched wagons.

Kit should be in the post Tuesday - the postal service is a little more limited than it usually is...

Jeff

Edited by Scorpio7uk
forgot a bit
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, no worries, I was glad to talk with with your dad the other day. I also appreciate you all continuing in the current situation, it gives me and others something to do! Not to worry on the postage, it will get here when it gets here.

And thanks for the kind words on the kits built so far. As I have said elsewhere it's been an interesting and rewarding journey thus far.

Thanks,
Zach

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Long time no update, but lots has happened recently, so up from the depths of time comes this thread.

First, the Siphon F safely made its passage and arrived about a month ago. I've started on it a little at a time over the past week or two. As with the Macaw H, I elected to assemble the trucks first.

604062468_SiphonFTrucks.jpg.fb7f067fc447b5c8bb23bdd1c883d308.jpg

I've also started the body, laminating the various bits together on the sides. No complaints so far, it's been quite nice to assemble as I work out the various techniques. That strapping on the left looks to need more solder/fixing...

2019131867_SiphonFWIP1.jpg.6ddc34390630ac9883468411c1d0bd98.jpg

The HMRS transfers also appeared out of the postal ether. All three Connoisseur wagons and a Slaters Siphon O4 have been lettered. And though it may not look like it, the Toad has been glazed. Next will be a touch of weathering on all four. I'm also continuing to build upon the timber load for the Macaw.

1207757767_ConnoisseurModelsPainted.jpg.488db9d4b704ce646158de3f72ce7c6d.jpg

1902770441_SiphonO4Painted.jpg.9cd81a7851ef1441556cd6cbfee315d4.jpg

Also just in shot to the left is something I didn't build, but couldn't resist when found, a pair of JLTRT/MM1 Toplights, already built/painted. They are built to an okay standard, about as well or better than I could probably do now, and are said to be professionally painted by Warren Haywood. For now its just a D47 Brake 3rd and C31 All 3rd, but I plan to expand the rake eventually.

292559130_GWRToplights.jpg.9375d83295c0fcaf56a5594763060ebb.jpg

That's all for now. More soon as the Siphon F progresses.

-Zach

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest where did you find the toplights? I like to keep an eye open for what's around.

Hayward make various types in brass including sunshine stock, high waist etc which are worth looking at given the GWR famously mixed things up.

• RMweb Premium

The toplights were from Steamline Ltd. I think they may have a trio of Collett high waist carriages still listed.

Would Hayward be Haywood Railway by chance? I see mention of them occasionally but have never found solid information on their range or contact details.

Thanks,

Zach

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, nsl714 said:

Would Hayward be Haywood Railway by chance? I see mention of them occasionally but have never found solid information on their range or contact details.

Thanks,

Zach

Yes, my attention to detail extends only to models!

They arent online but e mail gp.gill@yahoo.co.uk and Ive found Geoff very helpful - I'm not a fan of the bogies (trucks!) but they were happy to sell kits without, albeit I havent actually done so yet.

To my eyes these look much better than the aluminium shell types but without a website you dont see that much about them.

I found a couple of photos on here.

https://bid.tennants.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/243/lot/419729?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F243%3Fpage%3D8%26view%3Dgrid

Edited by Hal Nail