Nearest model shop never visited

ianmacc

On 09/12/2019 at 21:07, Scottish-Exile said:

Compared to most modellers, I'm fortunate to have an abundance of model shops within an hours drive of home. I suppose my closest is Chester Model Centre (6 miles) and while I have been there, I've not been for a few years as the last time they had cut back on their model railways in favour of kits and stuff. I've walked past several times now when in Chester without venturing in.

I keep meaning on popping down there as well. :laugh:

Jason

7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

If going distances I have visited one at Como and another in Vienna, sadly they didn't have much 00.............

I went to a great plastic model shop in Budapest. Like a huge warehouse floor to ceiling with kits, mostly from the former Eastern Bloc.

Only picked up a couple as we were flying and didn't want to start messing with bag size as I was just using hand luggage. The bloke kept trying to sell me tools, paint and glue and I'm trying to tell him I can't take them on a plane.  

Jason

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2019 at 21:07, Scottish-Exile said:

That would leave Haslington Models just outside Crewe as the only local (to work) shop that I've not visited.

You do need to correct that deficiency.

The proprietor is a lovely bloke and it is a great shop

• Like 2

When in my cottage in France, the nearest proper model railway shop is in Caen (Baron du Rail). 50 miles away, and I visited last week. Thankfully, well worth the trip, with all sorts of wonders not easily available in UK. So the nearest not visited is in Lisieux, which is 90 miles away, and maybe one day, if passing, I'll drop in. Sums up the challenge for railway modellers in France, with decent retailers thin on the ground, and not a great selection of French locos and stock actually modelled by the manufacturers (though some of the models are amazingly good). By comparison, we are spoilt for choice

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 17:06, Philip D said:

When in my cottage in France, the nearest proper model railway shop is in Caen (Baron du Rail). 50 miles away, and I visited last week. Thankfully, well worth the trip, with all sorts of wonders not easily available in UK. So the nearest not visited is in Lisieux, which is 90 miles away, and maybe one day, if passing, I'll drop in. Sums up the challenge for railway modellers in France, with decent retailers thin on the ground, and not a great selection of French locos and stock actually modelled by the manufacturers (though some of the models are amazingly good). By comparison, we are spoilt for choice

My only experience of France was a day exploring Marseille after a baggage handling audit in the airport. There is a model shop there down  a side street that was shut as it was weekend. I also saw a fantastic toy shop also shut that doesn’t look like it’s been renovated since 1975! I would love to have explored their ‘trains electriques’ section! Interestingly an at least one-time Hornby stockist. Zoom in for the logos etc! 

1958D7D6-C00B-4906-9C1D-E390734AB59C.jpeg

Here is an interesting thought for some of you - WHY have you not visited your closest shop? Not looking to start an argument with this one, more into the reasons that stop people - is it their hours, lack of transport to get there, heard bad reviews etc.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Mike owns C and M Models in the town centre. Not far from the train station. Well worth a visit no matter where you live.

I've now found it on Google - I walked straight past it yesterday evening, and had dinner in the Nando's almost bang opposite on Wednesday!

On 24/01/2020 at 13:20, Ed-farms said:

Here is an interesting thought for some of you - WHY have you not visited your closest shop? Not looking to start an argument with this one, more into the reasons that stop people - is it their hours, lack of transport to get there, heard bad reviews etc.

Kind of thing I was hoping to explore with this thread when I started it. For me it’s simply that there are a few shops in my immediate locale round Leeds that mean I don’t need to go to Harrogate or Huddersfield as my money is spent before I get there!

Having said that I always look where the shops are when away with work etc to see if there’s somewhere different I can visit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

Kind of thing I was hoping to explore with this thread when I started it. For me it’s simply that there are a few shops in my immediate locale round Leeds that mean I don’t need to go to Harrogate or Huddersfield as my money is spent before I get there!

Having said that I always look where the shops are when away with work etc to see if there’s somewhere different I can visit. 

As to the original question Starbeck Models properly not; limited stock and not necessarily open when it should be. My last visit was in search of some Ratio fencing which they did not have.

My issue in the North East is having too many local shops. I am lucky in having Peter's Spares, Stockton modeller, Redcar models and I understand another shop has opened in Stockton. I have a finite modeling finances and, realistically, can only support one shop. Even then, I often buy something i 'might' need one day just to buy something on  a visit. Peter's spares won on this occasion.

When I lived in Aberdeen it was the opposite. NO model shops at all. Dundee being the nearest who could supply what I needed.

I am being threatened with a move to Houston and I will have to find a friendly local 'store' for my supplies.

Mike Wiltshire

On 24/01/2020 at 20:12, Mallard60022 said:

Gainsborough. Residing in 36E.

P

Assume you mean not visited Mad About Trains. Had to look where 36E was so that’s quite close. I’ve been three or four times when working in Doncaster to mixed results. Last time means I probably won’t again.

Thought I may as well clarify why I stick with my local shops.

Going Loco in Wakefield. Best all round mix of stock and nearly always have what I want. Seldom leave with nothing. 

The Model Railway Shop in Featherstone. Always good for a chat and really cannot argue with the prices.

Millenium Models in Morley. Friendly and convenient.

Monk Bar Model Shop in York. A traditional and well stocked shop near my office.

Panda Models in Doncaster was a good option until it shut late last year. 

Of those Wakefield Featherstone and York account for 90% of my spend. 

Edited by ianmacc
Clarity

Comes down to how near they are - I did a grand tour one afternoon of models shops in search of specific bits and came home empty handed having used ££ of petrol. Since then unless I am passing one on a trip elsewhere all my spend has been mail order as at least normally the item you order arrives a few days later. The decline of the high street and consequently also the decline of the side streets where model shops are normally to be found is a big problem and I do wonder if a completely new approach needs to be taken, maybe manufacturers/distributors having a display in some store or another with an ordering/collect facility, a revised Modelzone nationally in WHS for example. Mail order goods being delivered to shops (ebay to Argos for example)  implies there is something in for the shop despite how cheap the item was.

Numerous reasons!

Of the two shops near me, one is clearly a charlatan, selling vastly over-priced tat, the other is similar but with dubious business practices thrown into the bargain.

Neither of which place deserves my custom, simple as that.

On the other hand, my favourite shop is an hours drive away but is hard working, honest, welcoming and holds good stocks so the drive is always worthwhile.

3 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Numerous reasons!

Of the two shops near me, one is clearly a charlatan, selling vastly over-priced tat, the other is similar but with dubious business practices thrown into the bargain.

Neither of which place deserves my custom, simple as that.

On the other hand, my favourite shop is an hours drive away but is hard working, honest, welcoming and holds good stocks so the drive is always worthwhile.

Hope they are in Greece and not Warrington as per your location.

1 hour ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hope they are in Greece and not Warrington as per your location.

Well, I'm only in the Warrington postal area as I don't want to advertise my location too closely - nothing you need worry about though as these two are not in your direction and it's certainly NOT you!!!

For avoidance of doubt, they're not in Greece, sorry.

• Thanks 1

I have visited my loco but I don't tend to buy. 

Holt Model Railways in Bishopston.  It's not a shop you can really browse.  Its a cramped shop area with a counter, and you sorta feel.you need to k kw what you want ask for it and hope they have it.  Where as I tend to like to browse aisles and shelves. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nearest one I haven't visited is Buffers near Axminster, about 50 miles. Thing is, Peco are only another 10 miles. Mostly, I use East Somerset Models, as one of the owners is a work colleague and I get a discount and he will also order H0 stuff for me at cost + a handling charge. I also use Signals in Midsomer Norton and Frome Model centre, as I like to spread my spending a little. Not been to Model Railways direct, only 25 miles, but have ordered online from them.

Edited by JZ
clarification