Nearest model shop never visited

ianmacc

• 1 year later...

Ticked Starbeck Models and 53A models off last year so the nearest to Leeds now I’ve never ventured into are probably Milnsbridge Models and Croppers in Bridlington despite having been to the latter town many times over the years. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Furthest Ive travelled for a model shop would be Lee Kwon hobbies in Kowloon.

A fantastic, very stereotypical floor to ceiling shop full of stuff. Also a good source for more sold out stuff. As I was working in Hong Kong, it was rude to not make the journey, and on occasion I specifically timed a stop over to pick something up

Ive also had luxury of one in Flinders street market in Melbourne (but I was passing by, rather than specifically went to visit), plus also Tenshodo’s super emporium off Ginza in Tokyo.

As for this country… i guess it coukd be tomorrow I could do it, at c425+ miles each way…. i’ve seats on the 0710 Intercity service from Euston to Glasgow tomorrow (87002 and mk3’s), and have 3 hours to kill… if anyone can recommend a shop in Glasgow between 1300 and 1600 ?

As for nearest.. Sutton, Epsom, Norwood Junction, Ewell.. all faded names, stores shuttered. I guess Addlestone or Invicta (about an hour + change each way to either).

• RMweb Gold

As for this country… i guess it coukd be tomorrow I could do it, at c425+ miles each way…. i’ve seats on the 0710 Intercity service from Euston to Glasgow tomorrow (87002 and mk3’s), and have 3 hours to kill… if anyone can recommend a shop in Glasgow between 1300 and 1600 ?

Theres Wildcat Models near Partick station but its a tiny little shop with not much to browse so it'll kill more time getting to and from it than actually in it.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2020 at 20:19, 1722 said:

Should have read the title!! 

There's one in Stafford, Topps Trains, that I've never set foot in! 

I suggest a visit to Topp Trains equally as good as Trident Trains, definitely worth a visit (closed on Wednesdays)

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but I think Glasgow is now another city without a model railway shop.

A list that gets sadly longer and has some surprising names on it.

In my neck of the woods

Manchester

Liverpool

Bradford

Leeds 

I define having a model shop in a city as being somewhere one could reasonably walk to from the centre so Millennium Models counts as the town of Morley for example as it’s many miles away from Leeds proper even though Leeds folk use it. 

1 minute ago, RailroadRich said:

Gaugemaster. Shameful really as I've ordered things from them in the post occasionally!

I can beat that in that I had to do a supplier audit in Ford. I could probably have kicked a football to it but sadly the audit took up all the opening hours and I had to miss out….

Can’t see myself visiting again as the supplier failed the audit and is no longer used! 

16 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

A list that gets sadly longer and has some surprising names on it.

In my neck of the woods

Manchester

Liverpool

Bradford

Leeds 

I define having a model shop in a city as being somewhere one could reasonably walk to from the centre so Millennium Models counts as the town of Morley for example as it’s many miles away from Leeds proper even though Leeds folk use it. 

You could add London to that list since the Ian Allan bookshop closed; Jane's Trains in Tooting is probably now the nearest to the centre but certainly not a reasonable walk from there!

• Agree 1

Sandhole and I used to regularly visit Trevor at Cheltenham Model Centre when Sandhole worked in Gloucestershire. We have not been for many years as he moved North.  Wifey has just announced she has a business meeting in Cheltenham, on Monday, just off the High Street and would I drive her (from North Yorkshire!!!) as there is parking space reserved for her. Can I find something to do for a couple of hours? I think I can walk the short distance to 39 High Street and find something I don't need with money I haven't got.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My nearest model shops are C & M in Carlisle (45 miles) and Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh (55 miles), both of which I occasionally visit.

However I believe my next closest would be Durham Trains of Stanley which is about 80 miles from where I live and although I have bought stuff from their stalls at shows over the years I have to admit that I have never visited their shop in Stanley.